Study: Race Not a Factor in Katrina Deaths

IdahoMom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=\Nation\archive\200512\NAT20051214b.html

Statistics released by the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals suggest that fewer than half of the victims of Hurricane Katrina were black, and that whites died at the highest rate of all races in New Orleans.

Liberals in the aftermath of the storm were quick to allege that the Bush administration delayed its response to the catastrophe because most of the victims were black.

Damu Smith, founder of the National Black Environmental Justice Network, in September said that the federal government "ignored us, they forgot about us ... because we look like we look."

Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan in October said that the Federal Emergency Management Agency wasn't fit to help the storm's victims because "there are not enough blacks high up in FEMA" and added that, "certainly the Red Cross is the same."

But the state's demographic information suggests that whites in New Orleans died at a higher rate than minorities. According to the 2000 census, whites make up 28 percent of the city's population, but the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals indicates that whites constitute 36.6 percent of the storm's fatalities in the city.

I always thought it was more a situation of class than race. those who stayed behind were the ones who didn't have the means to get out or who refused to go.

I am surprised that more whites died than blacks; it certainly looked like more blacks were left behind and more blacks than whites went to the dome. It could be there were more whites in the nursing homes that died.

Marthatex said:
I always thought it was more a situation of class than race. those who stayed behind were the ones who didn't have the means to get out or who refused to go.

I am surprised that more whites died than blacks; it certainly looked like more blacks were left behind and more blacks than whites went to the dome. It could be there were more whites in the nursing homes that died.
I agree. I dislike people like Farahkan, J Jackson and Sharpton. They always want to throw the race card in everything. They are not men of God, as they proclaim, to bring the races together. They always find something to divide us and cause controversy. I believe it was poor who were hardest hit by the disaster:
1. They had no way to get out, or did know what transportation was available
2. They had no where to go.
3. If they did get out, they had no money to stay.
4. Could not leave because of illness or injury
The water didn't discriminate on which homes/businesses got destroyed.
FEMA simply failed ALL of the people.
5. It looked like more blacks were left behind because that's what was shown most on TV.
JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back