AZ AZ - Lou-Ann Merrell, 62, Jackson Standefer,14,(fnd decd) Grand Canyon, 15 April 2017

LisaWL7TR

Former Member
Reaction score
Grand Canyon teams hunt for trace of McCallie student and grandmother

Lou-Ann Merrell, wife of Randy Merrell - who helped found the Merrell Boot Co. in 1981 - and Jackson Standefer, 14, lost their footing Saturday during a family trip in the Arizona park and fell into the creek.

The first hiker is described as a 62-year-old female, 5’5”, 145 lbs, blonde hair, and green eyes. She was last seen wearing khaki zip-off shorts, a blue/green button down short sleeve shirt, and blue water shoes size 8 ½. She was carrying a homemade blue backpack with a maroon fleece and hiking poles attached.
(No pic yet)

Jackson Standefer is described as a 14-year-old male, 5’8’, 105 lbs with black hair. He was last seen wearing black Nike shorts, a long sleeve white Columbia t-shirt with “COLUMBIA” written on the sleeve, and navy blue Chaco sandals size 10. He was carrying a new sage green backpack.

ba53e78bd19c60a45df4b6a3c9ff7662.jpg

2e3ec3a2e5bf5dd79668d62351293e17.jpg

Much more info at link:
http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/35162713/mccallie-student-reported-lost-in-the-grand-canyon

So they found their backpacks but no sign of either one :thinking:

Link to news article

Lou-Ann Merrell is "a very experienced backpacker," McOmie said. "If they can get to a spot where they cannot be in the water and stay warm, she's got the skills needed to get them through it.

except they don't have their gear. So sad, hopefully they will be found but the odds are definitely stacked against them :crossfingers:

I have many pairs of hiking boots, and I put my Merrells on today for our four mile hike. I was thinking about Louann and her grandson and I hope they are found safe and ok.

"Park rangers believe they have found the body of a 14-year-old boy who was swept away while crossing a Grand Canyon river with his step-grandmother almost two weeks ago.

Jackson Standefer and Lou-Ann Merrell - the wife of Merrell Boots founder Randy Merrell - went missing on April 15 after they lost their footing and fell into Tapeats Creek in Grand Canyon National Park.

On Friday, authorities say a corpse was discovered by a commercial river trip on the Colorado River at River Mile 152. The body was flown by helicopter to the Coconino County Medical Examiner, which will confirm identification.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-went-missing-Grand-Canyon.html#ixzz4fbSHLaSz

May Jackson Rest In Peace.

Rip Jackson... Gone too soon. :(

Lou Ann Merrell has also been found? I am somehow confused, only have seen the information for the boy.

Wow, I wonder if we'll ever find out how this happened. It's so sad.

Thoughts and prayers going up for Family and Friends. Hoping Lou-Ann is found soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back