OH - Clarence Elkins cleared by DNA in '98 murder, rapes

aussiegran

Reaction score
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- A man who spent seven years behind bars for the rape and murder of his mother-in-law was released Thursday after DNA evidence from a cigarette butt helped clear him.

Clarence Elkins, 42, walked out of the Mansfield Correctional Institution with his wife, Melinda.

Elkins was convicted in the 1998 rape and murder of Judith Johnson, 58, as well as the rape of her 6-year-old granddaughter. He was sentenced to life in prison and would not have been eligible for parole until 2054,

DNA analysis of a pubic hair and other biological material on the victims showed that Elkins was not the killer, said Bill Canterbury, spokesman for the Summit County prosecutor's office, which tried the case in 1998.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/INMATE_DNA_EVIDENCE?SITE=WIFON&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
>>>>>>>>>>
Does anyone remember the conviction.DNA is certainly helping solve cases and wrongful imprisonment .7 years he has lost .:(

Good thing we didn't put him to death!
Wow. 7 years. Can you imagine??

And I can just hear him, all of these years, insisting he didn't do it... and the response being- yeah, prison is full of innocent people.

Poor guy.

THANK GOD. I have been following this case for a few months after watching a program on A&E. The Elkins family has their own message board where they post, such strong people. I am thrilled that they have found justice! This made my day! :clap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back