1200 users online (251 members and 949 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Great to speak to you too! And thanks for your responses so far.

I'd love to find out from more users about their experiences and a bit more about you all. What's your background? What line of work do you normally do, is it any way linked to crime or investigation? Apart from Maps, what other ways to users help to collate and use evidence to help cases? Have any of you ever met together in person, or do you communicate purely over the forum? A few of you mentioned the greater access to evidence in the US, but are there resources you use that are available only in the UK?

Best,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyfletch85 View Post

I'd love to find out from more users about their experiences and a bit more about you all. What's your background? What line of work do you normally do, is it any way linked to crime or investigation? Apart from Maps, what other ways to users help to collate and use evidence to help cases? Have any of you ever met together in person, or do you communicate purely over the forum? A few of you mentioned the greater access to evidence in the US, but are there resources you use that are available only in the UK?

Best,

Bob
    Hi

I am a criminology student in the UK and would love to join in on your research. Please PM me.

skibaboo is offline <3 The amazing Mr Skibs, GBNF <3 Now an 'official' crazy cat (& Map) lady.

Best,

Bob
    I think we might all be a bit of a shy bunch lol Bobby doesn't bite, I can vouch for that lol

Have you seen this? http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...to-CrimeCon-17

The first ever Crime Con in Indiana, US. In June. Tricia and a few mods and members are all going to be there and us Brit sleuths are super jelly!!!

Hillsborough 15/4/1989 JFT96 GBNF YNWA *Verdict - The REAL Truth: 96 Liverpool fans were unlawfully killed*

Celebrating Mr Skibaboo RIP Baljeev Johal, my dear friend. RIP

Case Map Database - Links to all Case Maps I have created, and their related Websleuths threads

Best,

Bob
    I don't do anything like this in my day job - I work in HR and don't have any background that is linked to crime or investigation, unless you count watching all the CSI episodes and an obsession with Without a Trace.

I haven't commented on this so far because I'm still trying to remember where I first heard about websleuths! I think it was via another forum, possibly the Digital Spy thread about unresolved mysteries, as they often link to forums here. I was an avid reader of Nancy Drew as a child and I remember reading lots of unsolved mystery books from an early age - featuring such famous cases as Suzy Lampugh. I don't really feel I can contribute to many of the cases here. Mostly because I'm not in that particular area, but also because I don't really have the skills with the maps that some of the other people do. What I do like doing really is reading the comments other forum users make as they are often very insightful. People will often run theories past one another, and bounce ideas around to see what may stick.

I love the way people really care about the cases. When I try and explain the forum it can sound a little morbid but it isn't - it's people who really want to help. We don't always know how, but the sense of community is lovely. I tend to focus on the UK cases mostly. Firstly because it's more of interest and I believe I might be more in a position to help if the case happened to be in an area I know. But secondly because we don't have quite as many people commenting on the UK cases and it's nice to boost the profile a little. I do follow some US cases but not as many.

That sounds brilliant! The Stephen Avery speak has the prosecutor Ken Kratz there!

For the question about traveling to a crime scene...

I have transport limitations so I couldn't travel far even if I wanted to. But if there was a big case close-by, then I think I would want to go and maybe take a few photos to share here, and offer local knowledge if I could do that. Not to be nosy, but to contribute to helping others here get a feel for the lay of the land. I've seen others do this in threads on here when they live locally, I haven't seen people traveling out of their way though, so I guess most of us have similar feelings in this regard?

In the Corrie thread there was a link put up to some guy's blog (not a member here to my knowledge) and he'd gone around Bury St Edmunds with a clipboard and taken notes and stuff, and we had a bit of a moment of levity over that. I think the comments ended up getting deleted as the mods thought there was a different reason for the levity of it (that it was directed in a mean way at other members here, but it wasn't that at all, it was just "imagine a bunch of us turning up at a place like that and what we'd be like and what we'd look like to the locals if you transported what we do on the boards to a physical locality".)

Maybe someone had traveled to a place and they'd like to share that? Or do people generally agree with what I've said here? I feel like a relative newbie in here, despite my post count, so I'm not claiming to be an expert, I'm just trying to open up the discussion a bit more :-)

HI I have just read your pm , I am very interested as I am studying a psychology/ criminology degree . I have been interested in true crime since I was 12 . Yes I agree Amonet and the Susan Campbell case on here shows how vital forums like these are , also it showed the level of human compassion it was a warning to read .

Great! Thanks Scottishem1. Could you PM an e-mail address?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3