1177 users online (178 members and 999 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How to Start a Missing Person Thread

Los spoiled us terribly with his diligence and dedication in starting most of our new MP threads and, without him, we're left with a big gap to fill.

Some of you have already begun to step up by starting new MP threads, which is very much appreciated. We'd like to encourage anyone who wants to help out - but maybe aren't quite sure how - so here's a little tutorial on how to start a missing person thread:

1. It begins with information from an official source: a news article, a release issued by law enforcement, a NamUs listing, etc. A missing person poster from social media is generally not sufficient.

2. Use the Search box to make sure we don't already have a thread on that case.

3. Upload the missing person's image, if available, to an image host.

4. Go to the Missing Persons Discussion forum and click Post New Thread (to the left of the forum header).

5. Select the appropriate location prefix from the drop-down menu.

6. Add a title. There is a specific approved format for for all MP titles:

(State or Country Prefix - First & Last Name, Age, Last Seen Location, Date)

For example: WI - Crystal Jones, 24, Milwaukee, 16 April 2017

7. Add your image and source link(s) and text in the text box.

8. Preview and proofread your post by clicking the Preview Post button.

9. Once you're satisfied that your post is accurate and complete, click the Submit New Thread button.

Any questions? Ask away!

Thank You so much, OkieGranny! : )

Quote Originally Posted by LisaWL7TR View Post
    Thank You so much, OkieGranny! : )
    Well heck, I was unable to edit my post above.
    I will forever miss waking up to Los2188 posts. I regret the questions I didn't ask him.
    Carlos will forever be with me/us sleuthers... guiding the way💞

Thank you, Lisa, for the new threads you've been posting. Great job and very helpful!

I miss Los, too. Such a kind man, gone too young.

I do have a few questions. I know blogs are not msm but one police dept posted a missing person to their blog is that acceptable for starting a thread?

What about the community newsletter from Patch? Does it need to link to msm?

Thank You for this thread OkieGranny. I know I have more ?'s.

Yes, we can use information posted by law enforcement on any of their own official web pages, which might be a .gov site or a blog or a Facebook page. Many sheriffs and police departments do maintain their own social media pages these days, and any info posted there by an authorized official is considered fair game.

The Patch is a newsletter rather than a newspaper, but its articles generally come from MSM. Try googling to find an original MSM source for the same info and use that link instead.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieGranny View Post
    Yes, we can use information posted by law enforcement on any of their own official web pages, which might be a .gov site or a blog or a Facebook page. Many sheriffs and police departments do maintain their own social media pages these days, and any info posted there by an authorized official is considered fair game.

The Patch is a newsletter rather than a newspaper, but its articles generally come from MSM. Try googling to find an original MSM source for the same info and use that link instead.
    Thank You!

Oops possibly OT- I realize some websites are x out as not being allowed to post here. Is there a list? Will it show x's before submitting? I just learned here websleuths has a preview but not if you go thru tapatalk. Thank goodness for the hour edit.
    Last edited by LisaWL7TR; 04-21-2017 at 11:38 AM.

I'm not aware of a formal listing. I do know that any links to fundraiser sites are prohibited, as are some websites that are more speculative or sensational in nature rather than fact-based.

If a link has been starred out (as we call it), there may have been a problem with using it as a source in the past, or it could just be that the website doesn't meet our guidelines as a reliable resource.

Thank you for posting this, OkieGranny... I admit I twitch a bit when I see posts that are even slightly out of format!
    Also wanted to say how heartbroken I continue to feel over the loss of our Carlos. Will be very difficult to fill his shoes... he was an irreplaceable friend to the missing and the lost.

Ugh posts out of the majority format give my OCD a lot of anxiety lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody.

Lily Tomlin

Thanks, okiegranny. I know a blog I sent Tricia with comments on websleuths had already met with x's after sending. I also think I finally have a handled on my posts without asterisks, I hope.
    No one can compare to Los in posting the missing. I do have a text from Los weeks ago..saying to keep posting. So we continue on...posting not only for the missing but Los.
    It is sad though not seeing his posts 4 hours earlier during my first wake up.

Hello- I wasn't sure where to post this so apologies if this is the wrong place! Is there a way to browse the missing persons cases by state? I wanted to look through any in NH but I can't figure out how to do it. Searching NH brings up any post where anyone has mentioned NH (if I'm doing it correctly). Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Alethea View Post
    Hello- I wasn't sure where to post this so apologies if this is the wrong place! Is there a way to browse the missing persons cases by state? I wanted to look through any in NH but I can't figure out how to do it. Searching NH brings up any post where anyone has mentioned NH (if I'm doing it correctly). Thank you!
    Absolutely! Go to the Missing Person Discussion forum and scroll all the way down to the bottom. Find the box that says Thread Display Options and click on Prefix. Select NH from the pop-up menu and click Show Threads. When the page reloads, you'll only see threads from NH. Or whichever location prefix you choose.

Do you have to have so many posts before you can start a thread? I'm thinking that's the case and came across an active Amber alert so maybe someone else can start it

http://abc13.com/amp/news/missing-5-...-park/1909974/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast