805 users online (109 members and 696 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Brokenhearted stranger leaves 15k ring in car

A disappointed lover in the US has left a $15,000 (£8,500) diamond engagement ring in a stranger's unlocked car, accompanied by a heartfelt message.

"Hopefully this will land in the hands of someone you love, for my love is gone now," read the note.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4534052.stm

Wowza!

Why or why couldn't that be me???

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim
    Why or why couldn't that be me???
    Dangit, I knew I should have left my car door opened

I'm wondering if she died and he wanted someone else to have her ring. He says "his love is gone". Could it be that?

I thought the same thing, Sadie. That's what the wording indicated to me.

That ring, and the design of it, should be easily traceable, right back to the original purchaser. You will probably read all about it in the NE's next issue. I mean, how many rings of that exact design, and carat weight, would have been sold recently, within a few hundred miles radius of where the ring was found; you could probably just use the fingers on one hand.

On the other hand, do you think this guy would be smart enough to use this as a publicity ploy, to get national reoognition, and have his face spread all over to begin getting proposals from all over. If so, this is one smart dude---beats the hell out of 100 $150 dates--sure saves a lot of time--it's beginning to make great sense to me. This guy may be brilliant---another runaway Alabama bride story that has made a respectable sum so far.

obvious really.......he fell in love....he brought the ring........she was leaving on a train.........we was too late to catch her.......she had gone.....forever.

Of course she may just have told him to get lost !!

Movie and book rights to follow.

Now all he needs is a moniker like :

Lost Love Lou

with his picture and story

the love letters will soon arrive
    proposals from all over

or would

LoveLorn Lou

sound better??

He'll have all the women of America, and probably part of Europe, and South America, all feeling oh so sorry for him. "tugging at their heart strings" is how I have sometimes heard it said---kind of dates me.

and I'll bet if LoveLorn Lou plays his cards well enough, citizen X, who found the ring, in gaining national reeognition, will give it back for a very modest reward, kind of as an engagement gift for now "Lucky Lucky Lou".

latest word is that "Looky Lou" has been contacted by Oprah, GMA, Dave Letterman, and Jay Leno for appearances; citizen X hasn't been photographed--his name is still a mystery--the Police Dept. refuses to provide us with any additional information.

Of course, another consideration is, this could all be an advertising campaign by a few large jewelers, motivating men not to wait too long before offering up that ring to seal the deal, lest they be like Lost Love Lou, and be left holding the bag, while Fifi has flown the coop, "Lost and Gone Forever." Might lead to a pre-Christmas rush in ring sales---all for the cost of one ring with a wholesale value of about $4000---really cheap and effective advertising. National Advertising, I might add.

The funniest thing, to me, is that everyone has assumed it was a man who left the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by KatherineQ
    The funniest thing, to me, is that everyone has assumed it was a man who left the ring.
    That's easy, only a man would be willing to part with a $15,000 diamond; women like to keep their talons clenched on a pricey diamond, and would have an impossible time letting go.

That's jst a little of my humor thrown in. But can't you see the logic of it--makes perrfect sense to me.