1043 users online (150 members and 893 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

2017.04.19 - Ann Coulter vows to speak at Berkeley despite cancellation

The Latest: Ann Coulter vows to speak at Berkeley

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/19...-berkeley.html

Ann Coulter is vowing to go ahead with her planned April 27 talk at UC Berkeley despite the event being called off by campus officials.

Coulter has fired off an angry stream of tweets including one in all capital letters saying, "I WILL BE SPEAKING NEXT THURSDAY."

The comments came after The AP and others reported that UC Berkeley officials called off the event citing security reasons.

I believe as long as it is safe she should be allowed to speak.

You know free speech and all

I may or may not agree with her but she should get to do her thing AS LONG as its safe for her and others to do so!

Ann Coulter's backers at UC Berkeley file lawsuit

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ann-coult...193413572.html

The lawsuit demands unstated damages and compensation for attorney fees, a trial by jury and an injunction against Berkeley officials from "restricting the exercise of political expression on the UC Berkeley campus."

It names four university officials as defendants, including University of California President Janet Napolitano and Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas B. Dirks, and three police officials, including university police chief Margo Bennett.

The University of California president's office issued a statement saying it welcomes speakers of all political viewpoints and "is committed to providing a forum to enable Ann Coulter to speak on the Berkeley campus."

Bernie Sanders, Bill Maher Defend Ann Coulter's Freedom to Speak at Berkeley

http://www.christianpost.com/news/be...rkeley-181502/

The campus protesters showed signs of "intellectual weakness," Sanders noted.

"To me, it's a sign of intellectual weakness," he said. "If you can't ask Ann Coulter in a polite way questions which expose the weakness of her arguments, if all you can do is boo, or shut her down, or prevent her from coming, what does that tell the world?"

"Berkeley, you know, used to be the cradle of free speech, and now it's just the cradle for [expletive] babies."

Maher further compared the university's original cancellation of Coulter's speech to "the liberals' version of book burning."

"And I feel like this goes on all over the country on campuses," he continued. "They invite someone to speak who's not exactly what liberals want to hear, and they want to shutter it. ... And it's got to stop."

Maher is so right. I went to UC Berk from 1970 to 73. I was chanting, singing, screaming in a lot of peace marches over the years and we even took over the student union a few times. But we LISTENED to people who came to try and oppose us. We tried to have DISCUSSIONS--We did hold hands and stand our ground. But we didn't yell EFF DA PIGGS or set cars on fire. We wanted to make our voices heard and we did.

But the new types of protests are so out of control, so one-sided. There is no discussion, no effort in trying to understand each other at all.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Maher is so right. I went to UC Berk from 1970 to 73. I was chanting, singing, screaming in a lot of peace marches over the years and we even took over the student union a few times. But we LISTENED to people who came to try and oppose us. We tried to have DISCUSSIONS--We did hold hands and stand our ground. But we didn't yell EFF DA PIGGS or set cars on fire. We wanted to make our voices heard and we did.

But the new types of protests are so out of control, so one-sided. There is no discussion, no effort in trying to understand each other at all.
    We are going through the same sort of thing in the UK, especially in relation to Brexit. Nobody says 'I hear your opinion, but I disagree with it. Here is why I think my opinion is better'. They just say 'If you don't have the same opinion as me you must be a unpatriotic, anti-democratic idiot and you should shut up immediately'.

Nobody wants to debate, they just want to steam-roll their opinions over everyone else's. In fact they don't even see their opinions as even being opinions, they see them as their own version of reality and everyone else can just shove off if they disagree.

RIP debate.

Quote Originally Posted by johunt View Post
    I believe as long as it is safe she should be allowed to speak.

You know free speech and all

I may or may not agree with her but she should get to do her thing AS LONG as its safe for her and others to do so!
    So to get around that, the liberals make it unsafe. Um, sorry no

I tend to think that when political marches, rallies, etc., turn violent, it often has little to do with the offenders' political beliefs. I honestly think that some people are drawn to the drama. It's truly pathetic. But I don't think *most* of the unruly people are truly "fighting" for conservative, liberal, or whatever political "side" they agree with. I think it's often an excuse to cause trouble.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DatelineFan View Post
    I tend to think that when political marches, rallies, etc., turn violent, it often has little to do with the offenders' political beliefs. I honestly think that some people are drawn to the drama. It's truly pathetic. But I don't think *most* of the unruly people are truly "fighting" for conservative, liberal, or whatever political "side" they agree with. I think it's often an excuse to cause trouble.

Yes, the liberals are VERY violent

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenista View Post
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but that is, IMO, quite an extreme statement.

Quote Originally Posted by DatelineFan View Post
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but that is, IMO, quite an extreme statement.

Not extreme at all--it's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenista View Post
    Yeah, that march for science ended in bloodshed, didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    Yeah, that march for science ended in bloodshed, didn't it?
    Want more? All it would let me post is three, but I have dozens.

I don't think violence is exclusive to one particular end of the political spectrum.

In fact as one poster on this thread has pointed out, its often not the political activists who incite violence, but just general hooligans and troublemakers who tag along because they see an opportunity to create drama.
    Last edited by shadowdancer; 04-25-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdancer View Post
    I don't think violence is exclusive to one particular end of the political spectrum.

In fact as one poster on this thread has pointed out, its often not the political activists who incite violence, but just general hooligans and troublemakers who tag along beacause they see an opportunity to create drama.
    Nonsense. It is CLEAR the liberals are the violent ones.

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast