KS KS - Kelly Albright, 12, Hutchinson, 17 September 1970

Two Sisters,
I am Kelly's Uncle and have been doing a lot of research on this case.
Do you have any information on her murder?

I want to welcome you to Websleuths Mr Wilson. Thank you for coming on and I want to say that yours and your families loss is tragic. We will try to help in any way we can.

2 Sisters,
I had responded to your post in 2007 but never heard back from you.
Hope you're still a member now. I have two file drawers full of information on Kelly's abduction and murder. If you are interested, I would be glad to share with you. The exact date of her murder was Sept. 17, 1970. Her body was found by a farmer in a field east of Hutchinson, KS.

http://www.hutchnews.com/news/famil...fad-64f4-50ae-8db1-89c7ffcad4b2.html?mode=jqm

On Sept. 17, 1970, Albright went missing from her mother and stepfather's home. Four days later, a local farmer found the young girl's naked body, raped and stabbed 18 times in a sorghum field. No one was ever arrested or charged...

The common belief is that Glenn Davis, a friend of the family, killed Albright, said Reno County Sheriff's Capt. Steve Lutz. Davis was never arrested because all of the evidence against him was circumstantial... In 1995, Davis was convicted of aggravated incest, aggravated indecent liberties with a child and aggravated indecent liberties with a child less than 14 in Sedgwick County and sent to prison. Two years after his conviction, Davis died in prison from health problems. Knowing he was in poor health and believing they may be able to get a dying proclamation of guilt, Lutz said officers were on their way to the prison, however he died the day before they were scheduled to arrive.

Wilson, Smith and Kirby don't deny that Davis may have killed Albright, but they also believe there's more to the story than that. All three, as well as others, point to a close relative of Albright's as a suspect... The interviews the three have conducted with family members and friends of Albright have led them to believe that that the close relative, who still lives in Reno County, was involved. They also point to the person's violent and erratic past behavior as supporting evidence, as well as letters about the man between family members that Wilson, Kirby and Smith have read.

Although the novel is inspired by this murder, it's a work of fiction. I snipped the article to include portions I thought were relevant to this case. Sadly, the uncle (who has passed away) referenced below appears to be the poster above who said they had information about this case.

Mystery novel inspired by tale of unsolved Hutch murder

The young girl disappeared from the home of her stepfather and mother, Richard and Roberta LeShure, sometime between 10:30 p.m. Sept. 17 and 12:15 a.m. Sept. 18.
According to archival reports in The Hutchinson News, Albright was sleeping in a bedroom with her two siblings at the time, while her parents were out visiting family. It’s reported Albright woke her older brother as she got out of bed, but he went back to sleep when she told him she was going to the bathroom.

By the time she was seen again, three days had passed, and her nude body lay lifeless in a field a few miles away. The young girl had been sexually assaulted and stabbed 18 times with a blade approximately 5 inches long.

The only pieces of evidence recovered by police were a pillow slip and the girl’s pajamas. (...)

‘Facing’ the past
Albright’s death was hard on the community, but none more than those closest to her. Don Wilson, her uncle, worked tirelessly until his death last year trying to bring justice to Albright’s killer.

In later years, he was joined by two of his niece’s childhood friends from McCandless Elementary, Linda Kirby and Rona Smith. It was Smith who relayed the story of Albright’s death to Jenlink, planting the seed that would become the inspiration for “Facing September.”

http://www.hutchnews.com/the_bee/my...cle_5b0ab46f-d13b-5d40-bb0d-39bb43076a7c.html

ETA: Sorry about the formatting! This happens from time to time & I can never figure out how to fix it. The entire quoted portions are from the same article.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back