1217 users online (195 members and 1022 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 71 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1054
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    16,444

    TN - MCET, 15, Abducted by Teacher, in Maury County, 13 March 2017 #17 *ARREST*

    15-year-old Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas may be in the area of Decatur, Alabama.

    She is white, blonde hair, hazel eyes, 5 feet 5 inches and 120 pounds. She was last seen wearing a flannel shirt and black leggings.

    Thomas is believed to be in the company of 50-year-old Tad Cummins, a white male, 6 feet tall, 200 pounds, brown hair and brown eyes. He is believed to be armed with two handguns and driving a Silver Nissan Rogue with Tennessee tag number 976ZPT.



    http://wate.com/2017/03/14/statewide...ennessee-teen/
    http://www.waff.com/story/34847631/e...n-decatur-area
    http://www.wbir.com/news/crime/state...teen/422561108

    ARREST AFFIDAVIT
    Motion in Support of Detention - Filed 4/24/17

    Father of Abducted Teen Speaks Out for First Time Since Reunion


    Verified Insiders:

    MCElizabethsSISTER

    Thread #1
    Thread #2
    Thread #3
    Thread #4
    Thread #5
    Thread #6
    Thread #7
    Thread #8
    Thread #9
    Thread #10
    Thread #11
    Thread #12
    Thread #13
    Thread #14
    Thread #15
    Thread#16
    Last edited by Coldpizza; 04-27-2017 at 07:49 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    CA always, FL now
    Posts
    18,911

    TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #14

    Amber Alert: Elizabeth Thomas found safe in Northern California; Former teacher arrested
    Apr 20, 2017

    The TBI says they have found missing 15-year-old Elizabeth Thomas safe in Northern California.

    Her former teacher, Tad Cummins, has been arrested in connection to her kidnapping.

    A spokesperson for the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Department said Cummins' Nissan Rogue was found late Wednesday night. The vehicle's original license plate had been removed, but officials were able to confirm the vehicle through its VIN.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    3,679
    The Rules - Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, etc.

    Approved SM Pages/Profiles

    Individuals

    Victim (missing or murdered person)
    Suspect (as indicated by LE)

    Public Pages
    Mainstream Media (MSM)
    Law Enforcement (LE)
    Group support pages for victims, such as "Help Find..." and "Justice for...”
    Legitimate non-profit organizations who provide assistance and support to victims and their families (e.g., Klass Kids, Texas Equusearch).
    ***NOTE: Comments and posts by readers/visitors of these pages are not allowed to be quoted, copied or referenced. Just don’t mention them.


    Not Allowed

    Social media pages that fall in the following categories are OFF LIMITS.

    Family members of either a victim or a suspect
    Friends of either a victim or a suspect
    Most any other individual

    Don't link to these pages, nor make reference to information you find on them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Forest Dweller.
    Posts
    10,699
    Quote Originally Posted by bestill View Post
    Read the People article and at first I thought it was terrible of LE to allow them to keep interacting once they were found. But after thinking about it I think they did that for her sake. Maybe it was some type of closure for her, she probably wanted to be close to him and she left first instead of seeing him hauled away. I wondered how all of that went down.
    You make a very important point here, Bestill. I think that , as adults who see this whole thing for exactly what it is, it may be difficult for some of us to wrap our heads around the fact that ET may have a very different perspective right now. She may not see Cummins the same way that an adult with a wealth of life experience to draw on sees him. And it may take her awhile to come to that point in her journey. But in that space of LE descending on them, it may actually have been better for ET emotionally to have calm and comfort in going their separate ways. (Hope my meaning isn't misconstrued here...I'm trying to tread carefully.)

    I pray that her family continues to find the strength and patience they will need to help her become happy and whole again.
    People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. ~ Bob Dylan

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallfox View Post
    BBM

    I've thought about this comment I'm about to make for days. I'm reluctant because I believe I will get flamed BUT I am wondering if anyone else has had questions about this.

    On several news stories about ET's mother abusing the children, it says that the abuse started in November 2014 and the father took the children and left on November 2015. So is everyone else understanding this like I am? That the abuse went on for a year, with the father in the house and he didn't notice?
    I'm having a real problem with this and am wondering if maybe this "neglect" contributed to ET's situation as the abuse from the mother did?

    Flame away......

    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...see/100921288/
    Not flaming, I thought this would come up at some point & I just want to give you all the perspective of a kid who grew up in similar dynamics.


    My dad worked long hours & had no clue what was going on in our house. Since we were toddlers (at least) we were manipulated into believing that he was "worse" than she was, that we should be thankful it was only her meting out the violent punishments & that we should also be grateful that she was "kind" enough to keep our "misbehaviour" secret from him so that he didn't get angry & punish us far worse.

    We actively worked to hide the abuse from him because she had us convinced that he condoned it. He didn't.

    I was an older teen before it began to dawn on me that my supposedly threatening & violent father had NEVER so much as raised a hand to me in anger much less whipped me with the leather belts he had hanging in his cupboard (I only knew about the belts because my mother would drag me into their room by the hair to threaten me & show me what I was in for if I didn't pull myself together & stop crying before he got home). The belief that he was "the bad one" had been so ingrained that realising it was all lies felt like the earth had just tipped off it's axis.

    Despite that huge realisation though, the years of conditioning to keep secrets were impossible to overcome.

    Sometimes she even claimed he had instructed her to punish us in particular ways if we did xy or z, so there was no point going crying to him - he'd told her to do it anyway. She had him playing a game of good cop/bad cop with us, but he alone had no idea the game existed. In doing so she placed herself in the position of the "nicer" parent while she simultaneously handed out all the violent punishments & daily psychological abuse.

    He only found out what was going on when she completely lost it in front of him one day. I was 18 by then, but even decades after that I was never able to tell him the full extent of what would happen when he was at work, because that rule of silence was just so ingrained - it stopped me telling the school counsellors the truth too. Back then it was like I'd been rendered mute, but at the same time it felt like everyone should be able to tell just by looking at me - like every assault & insult was scrawled across my skin for all to read. & after so many years, the incidents all flowed into each other so I could barely formulate it all into recognisable thoughts for myself, much less express it verbally to others. On top of all that there's also the implanted belief that you're just a bad child who forces people to treat you harshly - so throw some guilt & shame into that mix for good measure. Shame is a great silencer.


    Short version : My dad never had a clue because our abuser manipulated us so successfully that we actively & voluntarily worked to hide the truth from him & anyone else who might've helped us. By the time I was 7 or 8 we were so conditioned that we didn't even have to be told to lie & hide the truth, it was just an automatic reaction.

    So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't assume that this dad knew but sat by & did nothing. It absolutely IS possible for one parent to be completely unaware the other is abusing their kids. As someone who's been through similar (albeit far milder) circumstances re abuse from a female parent & the inappropriate attentions of a teacher, I have nothing but respect & admiration for this dad & the way he's trying to help his daughter & her siblings through all of this. It sure as hell can't be easy

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by antechinusRAWR View Post
    Not flaming, I thought this would come up at some point & I just want to give you all the perspective of a kid who grew up in similar dynamics.


    My dad worked long hours & had no clue what was going on in our house. Since we were toddlers (at least) we were manipulated into believing that he was "worse" than she was, that we should be thankful it was only her meting out the violent punishments & that we should also be grateful that she was "kind" enough to keep our "misbehaviour" secret from him so that he didn't get angry & punish us far worse.

    We actively worked to hide the abuse from him because she had us convinced that he condoned it. He didn't.

    I was an older teen before it began to dawn on me that my supposedly threatening & violent father had NEVER so much as raised a hand to me in anger much less whipped me with the leather belts he had hanging in his cupboard (I only knew about the belts because my mother would drag me into their room by the hair to threaten me & show me what I was in for if I didn't pull myself together & stop crying before he got home). The belief that he was "the bad one" had been so ingrained that realising it was all lies felt like the earth had just tipped off it's axis.

    Despite that huge realisation though, the years of conditioning to keep secrets were impossible to overcome.

    Sometimes she even claimed he had instructed her to punish us in particular ways if we did xy or z, so there was no point going crying to him - he'd told her to do it anyway. She had him playing a game of good cop/bad cop with us, but he alone had no idea the game existed. In doing so she placed herself in the position of the "nicer" parent while she simultaneously handed out all the violent punishments & daily psychological abuse.

    He only found out what was going on when she completely lost it in front of him one day. I was 18 by then, but even decades after that I was never able to tell him the full extent of what would happen when he was at work, because that rule of silence was just so ingrained - it stopped me telling the school counsellors the truth too. Back then it was like I'd been rendered mute, but at the same time it felt like everyone should be able to tell just by looking at me - like every assault & insult was scrawled across my skin for all to read. & after so many years, the incidents all flowed into each other so I could barely formulate it all into recognisable thoughts for myself, much less express it verbally to others. On top of all that there's also the implanted belief that you're just a bad child who forces people to treat you harshly - so throw some guilt & shame into that mix for good measure. Shame is a great silencer.


    Short version : My dad never had a clue because our abuser manipulated us so successfully that we actively & voluntarily worked to hide the truth from him & anyone else who might've helped us. By the time I was 7 or 8 we were so conditioned that we didn't even have to be told to lie & hide the truth, it was just an automatic reaction.

    So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't assume that this dad knew but sat by & did nothing. It absolutely IS possible for one parent to be completely unaware the other is abusing their kids. As someone who's been through similar (albeit far milder) circumstances re abuse from a female parent & the inappropriate attentions of a teacher, I have nothing but respect & admiration for this dad & the way he's trying to help his daughter & her siblings through all of this. It sure as hell can't be easy
    Thanks just wasn't enough! Being able to share your story now speaks to the strength you now have! When Kat was posting here this was the impression I got. Dad didn't know what was going on and perhaps the kids did help to hide the fact they were being abused. JMO

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    6,401
    Quote Originally Posted by antechinusRAWR View Post
    Not flaming, I thought this would come up at some point & I just want to give you all the perspective of a kid who grew up in similar dynamics.


    My dad worked long hours & had no clue what was going on in our house. Since we were toddlers (at least) we were manipulated into believing that he was "worse" than she was, that we should be thankful it was only her meting out the violent punishments & that we should also be grateful that she was "kind" enough to keep our "misbehaviour" secret from him so that he didn't get angry & punish us far worse.

    We actively worked to hide the abuse from him because she had us convinced that he condoned it. He didn't.

    I was an older teen before it began to dawn on me that my supposedly threatening & violent father had NEVER so much as raised a hand to me in anger much less whipped me with the leather belts he had hanging in his cupboard (I only knew about the belts because my mother would drag me into their room by the hair to threaten me & show me what I was in for if I didn't pull myself together & stop crying before he got home). The belief that he was "the bad one" had been so ingrained that realising it was all lies felt like the earth had just tipped off it's axis.

    Despite that huge realisation though, the years of conditioning to keep secrets were impossible to overcome.

    Sometimes she even claimed he had instructed her to punish us in particular ways if we did xy or z, so there was no point going crying to him - he'd told her to do it anyway. She had him playing a game of good cop/bad cop with us, but he alone had no idea the game existed. In doing so she placed herself in the position of the "nicer" parent while she simultaneously handed out all the violent punishments & daily psychological abuse.

    He only found out what was going on when she completely lost it in front of him one day. I was 18 by then, but even decades after that I was never able to tell him the full extent of what would happen when he was at work, because that rule of silence was just so ingrained - it stopped me telling the school counsellors the truth too. Back then it was like I'd been rendered mute, but at the same time it felt like everyone should be able to tell just by looking at me - like every assault & insult was scrawled across my skin for all to read. & after so many years, the incidents all flowed into each other so I could barely formulate it all into recognisable thoughts for myself, much less express it verbally to others. On top of all that there's also the implanted belief that you're just a bad child who forces people to treat you harshly - so throw some guilt & shame into that mix for good measure. Shame is a great silencer.


    Short version : My dad never had a clue because our abuser manipulated us so successfully that we actively & voluntarily worked to hide the truth from him & anyone else who might've helped us. By the time I was 7 or 8 we were so conditioned that we didn't even have to be told to lie & hide the truth, it was just an automatic reaction.

    So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't assume that this dad knew but sat by & did nothing. It absolutely IS possible for one parent to be completely unaware the other is abusing their kids. As someone who's been through similar (albeit far milder) circumstances re abuse from a female parent & the inappropriate attentions of a teacher, I have nothing but respect & admiration for this dad & the way he's trying to help his daughter & her siblings through all of this. It sure as hell can't be easy
    Thank you for sharing that. Many familiar parallels with my own childhood. Really makes you wonder how many kids grow up in similar circumstances.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sunny Florida
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by antechinusRAWR View Post
    Not flaming, I thought this would come up at some point & I just want to give you all the perspective of a kid who grew up in similar dynamics.


    My dad worked long hours & had no clue what was going on in our house. Since we were toddlers (at least) we were manipulated into believing that he was "worse" than she was, that we should be thankful it was only her meting out the violent punishments & that we should also be grateful that she was "kind" enough to keep our "misbehaviour" secret from him so that he didn't get angry & punish us far worse.

    We actively worked to hide the abuse from him because she had us convinced that he condoned it. He didn't.

    I was an older teen before it began to dawn on me that my supposedly threatening & violent father had NEVER so much as raised a hand to me in anger much less whipped me with the leather belts he had hanging in his cupboard (I only knew about the belts because my mother would drag me into their room by the hair to threaten me & show me what I was in for if I didn't pull myself together & stop crying before he got home). The belief that he was "the bad one" had been so ingrained that realising it was all lies felt like the earth had just tipped off it's axis.

    Despite that huge realisation though, the years of conditioning to keep secrets were impossible to overcome.

    Sometimes she even claimed he had instructed her to punish us in particular ways if we did xy or z, so there was no point going crying to him - he'd told her to do it anyway. She had him playing a game of good cop/bad cop with us, but he alone had no idea the game existed. In doing so she placed herself in the position of the "nicer" parent while she simultaneously handed out all the violent punishments & daily psychological abuse.

    He only found out what was going on when she completely lost it in front of him one day. I was 18 by then, but even decades after that I was never able to tell him the full extent of what would happen when he was at work, because that rule of silence was just so ingrained - it stopped me telling the school counsellors the truth too. Back then it was like I'd been rendered mute, but at the same time it felt like everyone should be able to tell just by looking at me - like every assault & insult was scrawled across my skin for all to read. & after so many years, the incidents all flowed into each other so I could barely formulate it all into recognisable thoughts for myself, much less express it verbally to others. On top of all that there's also the implanted belief that you're just a bad child who forces people to treat you harshly - so throw some guilt & shame into that mix for good measure. Shame is a great silencer.


    Short version : My dad never had a clue because our abuser manipulated us so successfully that we actively & voluntarily worked to hide the truth from him & anyone else who might've helped us. By the time I was 7 or 8 we were so conditioned that we didn't even have to be told to lie & hide the truth, it was just an automatic reaction.

    So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't assume that this dad knew but sat by & did nothing. It absolutely IS possible for one parent to be completely unaware the other is abusing their kids. As someone who's been through similar (albeit far milder) circumstances re abuse from a female parent & the inappropriate attentions of a teacher, I have nothing but respect & admiration for this dad & the way he's trying to help his daughter & her siblings through all of this. It sure as hell can't be easy
    Thank you for sharing this. I think it is really important for people to see how it is possible that the father did not have all the information sooner. Very good insights here.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Kat View Post
    You make a very important point here, Bestill. I think that , as adults who see this whole thing for exactly what it is, it may be difficult for some of us to wrap our heads around the fact that ET may have a very different perspective right now. She may not see Cummins the same way that an adult with a wealth of life experience to draw on sees him. And it may take her awhile to come to that point in her journey. But in that space of LE descending on them, it may actually have been better for ET emotionally to have calm and comfort in going their separate ways. (Hope my meaning isn't misconstrued here...I'm trying to tread carefully.)

    I pray that her family continues to find the strength and patience they will need to help her become happy and whole again.
    I remember several years when Oprah announced that she was a victim of sex abuse from an uncle when she was a young teen. She explained that she felt guilty because at times she liked it but still knew it was wrong. I can't help but believe that ET is tossed about how she feels and felt. TC was all she had while they were on the run and she was a hostage but I don't think she realized that. I am glad that TC seemed to be calm when he was arrested (according to what we know) and I am imagining that ET wasn't scared of him. Had she been I'm sure that LE would have separated her! As far as we know local LE may have been taking direction from TBI on how to handle it.
    RIP - Hannah Graham RIP - Beverly Carter RIP - Moonchild

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    741
    I still believe in the father and he is best for her.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    780
    I see this WS group as a small community of a much larger group nationwide who are so glad this young girl got back alive. Not every story ends this way. There's so much hope for her future now.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    59
    From what I understand, the school notified officials. They said no contact to TC. The very next day, he went on a field trip with ET. The father was never notified by the school. Two weeks after the incident, LE contacted the father about the kiss. The father then found out he was still employed at the school and still had consistent contact with ET. His lawyer wrote a letter two weeks later and that very same day, TC was suspended. (so a month after the incident). TC was not fired until the day after the abduction.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    12,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydrianna523 View Post
    I see this WS group as a small community of a much larger group nationwide who are so glad this young girl got back alive. Not every story ends this way. There's so much hope for her future now.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thats such a lovely post. And you are right. She's alive. And receiving treatment. She has a chance!
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

    *Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,436
    Quote Originally Posted by pegs View Post
    Thank you for sharing this. I think it is really important for people to see how it is possible that the father did not have all the information sooner. Very good insights here.
    I Just don't think this is a "Devil vs Angel situation.
    http://www.crimeonline.com/2017/04/2...rrible-person/

    "The attorney for Elizabeth’s father Anthony Thomas appeared on “Crime Stories with Nancy Grace,” and reiterated that Kimberly Thomas is a negative presence in Elizabeth’s life."

    “She’s a horrible person,” Whatley said. “We can’t stand her.”

    "Corey Ricci, the lawyer who filed the divorce complaint and the restraining order request for Anthony Thomas, also discussed the case on “Crime Stories with Nancy Grace.”

    "Thomas “made up his mind about filing for divorce a long time ago” but didn’t have the money necessary for the fight. But with Tad Cummins’ kidnapping of his daughter, he decided he could not delay the divorce any longer."

    “It became all the more urgent to do it when Elizabeth returned,” the attorney said."

    “One of the biggest concerns he had when Elizabeth returned was that the mother, Ms. Thomas, would take to the media again and start talking,” Ricci continued. “If [Elizabeth] has any exposure to her mother, it’s going to cause serious problems.”

    I find it interesting to say the least, that dad didn't get the RO before ET's kidnapping. If someone was "stalking" my child, I would have immediately obtained an order of protection. Ditto for the divorce. ( How did he "decide" to be able to afford it now, when he states he couldn't before?).

    Color me skeptical for suspecting some of this was designed to prevent an attempt by mom to claim any share in financial matters that might result from lawsuits.

    Did ET and her siblings receive any type of counselling prior to the abduction? We know the "stalking" went unaddressed, the divorce was "un-affordable" (until now), and problems persisted for ET, both at home, and at school. I have to ask myself how come these matters became imperative only now?


    <modsnip> but we really don't know what went down, for all those many years they co-parented these children. I am finding some of these interviews Dad gave somewhat exploitive. It never seems to end, for this kid.
    Last edited by tlcya; 04-27-2017 at 01:58 PM. Reason: unnecessary

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,016
    (quote)
    Jason Whatley, an attorney for the girl's father, Anthony Thomas, said the teen's abduction came after a chain of events that began January 23, when a Culleoka high school student allegedly saw Elizabeth and Cummins kissing in a classroom. The incident was reported to the school the next day, he said.
    It was another week, Whatley said, before a detective with the Maury County Sheriff's Department notified Elizabeth's father, Anthony Thomas, of the allegations.
    According to a letter Whatley sent to Superintendent Chris Marczak on February 6, Anthony Thomas called the school the next day, Feburary 1, and spoke to a woman who expressed regret that he had been "left in the dark," promised to keep him informed of further findings and assured him there would be no more contact between his daughter and Cummins.
    Whatley wrote in his February 6 letter that since that February 1 call, Elizabeth had told her father she still had a class with Cummins, and her phone history indicated the two were still in contact.
    "If it is true that contact between this student and Mr. Cummins has continued in light of these allegations, I can tell you that my client will use whatever legal means are at his disposal, including filing suit, to assist Maury County Schools in protecting (Elizabeth) from Mr. Cummins," the attorney wrote.
    The school district said in a February 8 internal memo, provided to CNN by Whatley, that Elizabeth had been removed from Cummins' forensics class, and assertions she was still in his class were false.
    Last edited by Karinna; 04-27-2017 at 10:32 AM.
    *FREE LEONARD PELTIER*
    Justice for an innocent man.

Page 1 of 71 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Found Safe TN - MCET, 15, Abducted by Teacher, in Maury County, 13 March 2017 #16 *ARREST*
    By JerseyGirl in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 1061
    Last Post: 04-27-2017, 07:45 AM
  2. Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #15 *Arrest*
    By JerseyGirl in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 980
    Last Post: 04-23-2017, 01:26 PM
  3. Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #14 *Arrest*
    By JerseyGirl in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 1028
    Last Post: 04-21-2017, 09:20 AM
  4. Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #13 *Arrest*
    By JerseyGirl in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 832
    Last Post: 04-20-2017, 01:30 PM
  5. Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #8
    By JerseyGirl in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 1101
    Last Post: 03-30-2017, 05:48 PM

Tags for this Thread