Identified! KY - Scott Co., WhtMale UP16182, 15-19, hit by train, Apr'21 - Frank Haynes

Tulessa

Reaction score
OMG 96 years! R.I.P. Frank!

"Some Mother's Boy" has been potentially identified as Frank A. Haynes, 17, of Bronston, Kentucky. According to officials with NAMUS, Haynes' father had seen photos of the dead boy and attempted to identify him but they had insufficient evidence to prove that the young man was his son.

Blood collected from Frank Haynes' niece could confirm a family connection once results are returned.

http://www.lex18.com/story/35265979/96-years-after-his-death-some-mothers-boy-is-close-to-going-home

What's his NamUs case? I remember reading about "some mother's boy" but I can't remember where, etc. Any links? Thank you.
It can be done.

Even after so long, I'm sure the family will appreciate closure.

Why is this posted in the ID'ed forum? It has not officially been solved yet. It seems promising, but is by no means a slam dunk. It is not closed until the DNA comes back. Remember flagpole John Doe from Alaska?

Why is this posted in the ID'ed forum? It has not officially been solved yet. It seems promising, but is by no means a slam dunk. It is not closed until the DNA comes back. Remember flagpole John Doe from Alaska?

I agree...the article names another potential match. I do hope they solve it.

"NAMUS is not ready to say that there is 100% confirmation that the victim of the accident is Haynes. The young man could also potentially be a man who went missing from Trimble County around the same time."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Matthews said anecdotal information indicates the teenager was tentatively identified four months after his death as Frank A. Haynes of Bronston, Kentucky.

"His father had reportedly seen and recognized photos of the dead boy during the first two weeks when the coroner was attempting to identify him. Even during those times, this was insufficient verification to allow an official death certificate to be filed, and the father apparently allowed him to be buried without identification."

http://www.somerset-kentucky.com/ne...cle_4b622108-2c55-11e7-9e32-6b7601f4a202.html

That is crazy that his father knew it was him but didn't step forward and claim him properly? Is that how I am reading it?

That is crazy that his father knew it was him but didn't step forward and claim him properly? Is that how I am reading it?

Yah that's how I read it. Completely insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

[h=1]Boy killed by train 96 years ago laid to rest next to his parents[/h]
Frank Albert Haynes, his restless bones unknown and unclaimed for nearly a century, has finally been identified and returned home. The teenager killed in a train accident in Georgetown 96 years ago was laid to rest among members of his family at 11 a.m. Monday in Newell Cemetery at Bronston.

The 19-year-old teenager died April 1, 1921 when struck by a train. He was not officially identified at the time and was buried as an unknown in a Georgetown cemetery beneath a marker inscribed “Some Mother’s Boy.” A recent investigation connected him with family members in Bronston and Somerset and they brought his remains home to Bronston.

“He doesn’t have many family members left,” said Mamie L. Hahn, a niece. “A couple of people from Southern Oaks Funeral Home came out Monday ... three of his cousins were here ... we plan to put a marker at the gravesite.” Richard New, manager of Southern Oaks, said as a courtesy to the Haynes family, he would assure a decent burial for the young man.
Frank A. Haynes is a lingering legend in the Haynes family. “The older ones know the story (that he was killed in a train mishap) ... the younger ones probably don’t,” said Rick Haynes, a nephew. Members of his family wanted him returned home when publicity generated by Matthews’ search for the identity of “Some Mother’s Boy” revealed he was one of them buried as an unknown in a Georgetown cemetery. In 1921, the nearly 100 miles between Georgetown in Scott County and Bronston in Pulaski County put the train accident in virtually another world. Some tentative identification reportedly was made but the victim’s mother was ill and the then-coroner of Scott County released the teenager’s body for burial as an unknown.
http://www.somerset-kentucky.com/ne...cle_0cc8d4c0-5b83-11e7-b586-afa2bd2d5fad.html

I wonder if the id issue had to do with the thought that it might have been a suicide.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd
Back