The Doe Network

3394DFOH.jpg

Photo was taken approximately 2-3 years prior to her June 1963 disappearance

Linda Kay Britton

Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: July 11, 1963
Location Last Seen: Cambridge, Guernsey County, Ohio
Physical Description

** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.Date of Birth: November 21, 1944
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18
Race: White
Height at Time of Disappearance: 61 inches
Weight at Time of Disappearance: 98 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): None
Distinguishing Marks/Features: None
Dentals: Unavailable
Fingerprints: Unavailable
DNA: Available
Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Bright orange pants; white jacket with hood.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Pink-rimmed glasses.
Circumstances of Disappearance

Linda left home to mail a letter and never returned.
Investigating Agency(s)

If you have any information about this case please contact;Agency Name: Cambridge Police Department
Agency Address: 601 Southgate Parkway, Cambridge, Ohio, 43725
Agency Contact Person: Captain William LePage
Agency Phone Number: 740-439-4431

Agency Case Number: 1963-999
NamUs Case Number: MP #10968
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Information Source(s)

NAMUS
NAMPN
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3394dfoh.html

This is my hometown she went missing from. There are tons of stories and rumors about her disappearance that have gone around since she disappeared, but nothing that can be found on paper. I know what the locals have said they heard, but it's only hearsay.
Her family does not want her disappearance discussed and once yelled at me in a local facebook group for bringing her up, even though I only brought her up to let it be known she wasn't forgotten and indeed, she wasn't. Many people she had gone to school with, or who grew up near her missed her and told stories in that facebook posts' comments before it eventually went quiet.
I could say what rumors and such I've heard, but I want to stress they are only that.

This is my hometown she went missing from. There are tons of stories and rumors about her disappearance that have gone around since she disappeared, but nothing that can be found on paper. I know what the locals have said they heard, but it's only hearsay.
Her family does not want her disappearance discussed and once yelled at me in a local facebook group for bringing her up, even though I only brought her up to let it be known she wasn't forgotten and indeed, she wasn't. Many people she had gone to school with, or who grew up near her missed her and told stories in that facebook posts' comments before it eventually went quiet.
I could say what rumors and such I've heard, but I want to stress they are only that.
If her family doesn't want her brought up, that makes me wonder whether family members were involved in her disappearance. I'm glad you've continued to pursue the case instead of ignoring it.

ETA: Her Charley Project page has an additional photo.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/britton_linda.html

If her family doesn't want her brought up, that makes me wonder whether family members were involved in her disappearance. I'm glad you've continued to pursue the case instead of ignoring it.

ETA: Her Charley Project page has an additional photo.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/britton_linda.html

If I'm remembering right, it was a younger sibling of hers who told me that the memory of her older sister was too painful on her elderly parents, who were still alive at the time I posted about Linda (not too sure right now, I don't really know many people in Cambridge even though I grew up here because I never felt much of a connection to the place), and that was why they'd prefer if people never brought her up at all instead since "we had no permission to do so". I wasn't too sure what to think of that, I was 19 at the time I brought her up, and while I can understand grief...the way I was talked to rubbed off on me the wrong way. If they wanted to forget about her being gone, then why is she listed on the Ohio Attorney General's website and on NAMus?

But, I'm trying not to judge too harshly, they're from a different generation compared to me and like I said, people grieve differently.

I hope one day that they figure out what happened, or at the very least, they get to see her again when their time comes, and that they at least know that while we don't know much about her or what happened to her, she is far from forgotten.

A few more photos and articles... interesting that another teen girl disappeared a few days before Linda. I haven’t been able to check and see if she is still missing.

C7A504AA-DCEE-4B40-8564-E1911031C543.jpeg
1960 Cambridge High School
DABC75F0-F692-4578-A6B7-90BF156FB7B0.jpeg
1961 Cambridge High School

Last edited:
A few more photos and articles... interesting that another teen girl disappeared a few days before Linda. I haven’t been able to check and see if she is still missing.

View attachment 212937
View attachment 212939

Thank you for finding and posting these articles! They help confirm that Linda was last reported seen on Tuesday, June 11, 1963, and not in July, as the Doe Network and this thread state. Is it possible to change the date up top?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for finding and posting these articles! They help confirm that Linda was last reported seen on Tuesday, June 11, 1963, and not in July, as the Doe Network and this thread state. Is it possible to change the date up top?
Click on Report on your post and add a note asking a moderator to update the title for you.
upload_2019-11-3_8-30-51.png

View attachment 212937
View attachment 212939

So Carole went missing from Cambridge too? Within a few days from each other? Did LE ever put the two incidences together? Does Carole have a thread and what were the circumstances she went missing under, besides some guy she was supposed to meet having family in Cali? (Eye roll inserted here) Who was this guy and was he ever questioned/investigated? MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem! good catch! I hadn’t even realized the date was wrong. I was so focused on the date her and Carole went missing!

So Carole went missing from Cambridge too? Within a few days from each other? Did LE ever put the two incidences together? Does Carole have a thread and what were the circumstances she went missing under, besides some guy she was supposed to meet having family in Cali? (Eye roll inserted here) Who was this guy and was he ever questioned/investigated? MOO

Yah, seems as though she went missing from same town and same week as Linda! I didn’t look for a thread on Carole but I did do a quick search and found nothing! So, I’m not sure if she is still missing or not. Surely someone thought the two girls disappearing like this was a little...not right? Unless someone knew they might be together or their cases were related somehow. JMO, but I’m going to keep searching for anything about Carole and create a thread for her if needed. This one’s a brain scratcher for sure!

Found Carol in her fathers obituary, Carol Celia Howell being her married name. Everything matches up with other information I found, seems “Carole” is incorrect spelling. Also found she has lived in PA and Florida, born in 1946.

1997 The Times Zanesville, Ohio

upload_2019-11-4_9-36-7.jpeg

Found Carol in her fathers obituary, Carol Celia Howell being her married name. Everything matches up with other information I found, seems “Carole” is incorrect spelling. Also found she has lived in PA and Florida, born in 1946.

1997 The Times Zanesville, Ohio

View attachment 213064
That’s the name I found for her mother so looks like she isn’t ‘missing’ anymore. I couldn’t find anything about her disappearance other than the one article. I wonder if the two girls knew each other...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back