Ukrainian couple has 17th child, lays claim to largest US family

aussiegran

Reaction score
Cradled delicately in Vladimir Chernenko's thick arms was his baby, David, whose birth on December 7 gave the Ukrainian-American family the largest brood in the United States, according to the Russian language newspaper The Speaker.

"When we got married back in the Ukraine, for six month we had no children and thought we wouldn't have any kids at all," Vladimir told reporters at a celebration in Bethany Slavic Missionary Church in Sacramento.

"I never thought I would have such a family."

Vladimir said he was serving in the Ukrainian army when his wife wrote in a letter that she was pregnant.

"I said how could this happen, me in the army and she is at home pregnant?" he recalled with a laugh. "I was young then and didn't take into account we had lived together a while."

The family emigrated and settled in California seven years ago, the couple said. Vladimir is a security and maintenance worker for a charter school and the family lives in a seven-room house in Sacramento.

"It's a lot of work, and we all get tired, and it's difficult from financial point of view," Zynaida Chernenko conceded when asked if having such a large family was difficult.

"But, we overcome the fear by looking forward to our children with love."

The children, the eldest of which is 22, share duties and responsibilities, with the older ones filling in for their parents at times, the mother said.

"It takes a great deal of work to raise all of the children, on each level," Vladimir said. "Education and upbringing plays a large role, but the most important thing is love and a big heart."

It also helps to have a 15-seat mini-van and a huge dinner table, the family confided.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051216/lf_afp/afplifestyleusukraine;_ylt=AkuVGhmeL6mML865.gEvmWes0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-
>>>>>>>>>>>
:eek: 17 kids and they sound like they were all single births .the food bill must be Huge

While 17 is a lot, it's not the largest American family. I once dated a guy whose mother had 26 kids. I'm sure there are more large families out there.

GOOOOOOD LAWWWWWSSSSS! 17? My husband is #8 of 9 and when everyone gets together (kids, spouses) it is a zoo. Can't imagine what Christmas is like at their house.

My dad comes from a family of 11 kids . Considering many of them went on to have large families, we had 8 kids in ours, my paternal grandparents had more than 80 grandchildren.

Wait a minute...to the poster who said she knew of someone who had 26 kids...were they *adopted*? I don't think it's humanly possible for a woman
to give birth to 26 kids.

I'd love to have a link...it just seems nearly impossible.

To me, giving birth to 10 kids (unless one is a set of septuplets or something)
is insane!!

Imagine what his child support payments would be if he ever left her.....

By the way, the article said they lived in a 7 room house - ALL 19 OF THEM?????? I would be a raving lunatic!!

Tristan said:
Wait a minute...to the poster who said she knew of someone who had 26 kids...were they *adopted*? I don't think it's humanly possible for a woman

is insane!!

The Guiness Book of World Records lists a Russian woman who gave birth to 69 children, many were sets of twins and triplets. BTW: I think it is insane, too.

http://vrd.askvrd.org/default.aspx?id=13864&cat=1526

poco said:
Imagine what his child support payments would be if he ever left her.....

By the way, the article said they lived in a 7 room house - ALL 19 OF THEM?????? I would be a raving lunatic!!

:waitasec: would be???? :waitasec:

Tristan said:

is insane!!

LOl...this is someone I knew personally, so there's no link. She had 13 kids with her husband, and then 13 more with her son-in-law. :eek: I've posted about her before. Some were multiple births.

The family lived in a "holler" in Kentucky with no electricity or running water. They kept chickens in their living room but couldn't believe I allowed cats in my house :waitasec:

My dad was one of sixteen living children. All together counting still births and miscarriages I think there was 22 pregnancies.:bang:

Mabel said:
LOl...this is someone I knew personally, so there's no link. She had 13 kids with her husband, and then 13 more with her son-in-law. :eek: I've posted about her before. Some were multiple births.

The family lived in a "holler" in Kentucky with no electricity or running water. They kept chickens in their living room but couldn't believe I allowed cats in my house :waitasec:
Too funny! Guess the chickens were okay just in case someone wanted a snack?

Of course there is the real-life Beardsley-North family. The one the movie Yours, Mine, and Ours is based on (the original movie had Lucille Ball and was hilarious). Mom was a widow with 8 children and Dad a widower with 10. They married, then had 2 more kids. Might have been Mom with 10 and Dad with 8, I don't know. That's a blended family, so maybe that doesn't count. I believe all those children are still alive, though.

That was always one of my favorite movies :)

ETA:
Possibly they mean this is the largest US family with the parents being both parents to all 17?

Tristan said:

is insane!!
Oh, you can give birth to 26 kids, if multiples are involved and you start around 13-15 and keep on going until your 40s. Whether all of them survive to adulthood is another story. Women who give birth to lots of kids usually have bone density problems later in later.

Wow! Who knew? It just seems like, with the gestation period, even if you started at 15 (which is SUPER young), and you kept having babies till you were 43 or so, you'd essentially be pregnant constantly!! Aahhhh!!!

I can almost see 7 or 8 kids...but 14, 15, 16 and more....WHOA!!!

A few months ago, when we still had TV, we watched a show called 14 Kids and Pregnant Again. In it, this super-religious (not that there's anything wrong with that) couple had, well, 14-almost-15 kids. All with "J" names. I don't know where they got their money to afford all those kids, but they didn't seem to be hurting.

Mr. E., that family now has 16 kids (last was born 2 months ago), and all of their names still start with J. They are currently living in a 2,200 sf house but will be moving into a brand-new 7,000 sf home in the next few months. They don't owe anyone any money. They have commercial real estate properties (also free and clear) that they get income off of monthly. Even the new home is free and clear. They live in Arkansas and are also a very religious family. The father once held some kind of political job in Arkansas.

I saw that documentary, too. It was fascinating.
As long as you have the money, go for it.

However, I cannot imagine the physical strain on a woman to have THAT
many children. Whew!

P.S. Does anyone know the world record for giving birth to babies?
I looked on the Guiness site, but could not find it.

Tristan said:
I saw that documentary, too. It was fascinating.
As long as you have the money, go for it.

However, I cannot imagine the physical strain on a woman to have THAT
many children. Whew!

P.S. Does anyone know the world record for giving birth to babies?
I looked on the Guiness site, but could not find it.

Tristan,

69 children born to one couple in Russia. Most were multiple births. I couldn't find it on the site, but I did find references to it on web (linked somewhere on this thread) and it is in their old books. She was having babies long after her first born children were grown.

I wonder what kind of damage that did to her body? I was pregnant for three years in a row (lost twins at 7 months, then had two daughters one after the other) and it was rough!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back