Time honours Bono, Bill & Melinda Gates

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Time honours Bono
From correspondents in New York
19dec05

IRISH rocker Bono was named one of Time magazine's "Persons of the Year", along with the richest man in the world, Bill Gates, and his wife, Melinda, for being good samaritans who made a difference in different ways.

The three were chosen for their work in trying to find ways to eradicate such calamities as malaria in Africa, HIV and AIDS and the poverty that kills 8 million people a year, said James Kelly, Time managing editor. The magazine's December 19 issue comes out on Monday.

Time also named former US Presidents George Bush and Bill Clinton as "Partners of the Year" for their humanitarian efforts after the Asian tsunami and Hurricane Katrina, and the unlikely friendship that developed from that work. "Natural disasters are terrible things, but what defines us is not what happens to us, but how we react to it," Kelly told Reuters. "When you look at the number of people who die from the kind of diseases and poverty that the Gates and Bono are fighting, the death tolls are far greater than what occurs in natural disasters or wars."

More: http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,17608942%255E10431,00.html

I saw U2 in concert this month and I was very impressed with the entire show.
I was a little worried that Bono might go off on a political tirade or say that Americans aren't doing enough or something like that but instead I was impressed. He chose to talk about worldly issues. The topic that stuck out in my mind most to me was about woman getting sold into sexual slavery. Three women's faces occupied huge screens and they spoke in broken dialect about the right to freedom. It was really powerful. They talked a lot about human trafficking.

They played their greatest hits of course and some of the new hits.

And their light show was quite impressive :)

All in all a good show. :clap:

He truly makes a statement.

The Gateses know exactly what their money is going toward and they make sure it is done. Down to a science. Bravo for them; good choice for Time.

Marthatex said:
The Gateses know exactly what their money is going toward and they make sure it is done. Down to a science. Bravo for them; good choice for Time.
I agree!:angel:

PrayersForMaura said:
I saw U2 in concert this month and I was very impressed with the entire show.
I was a little worried that Bono might go off on a political tirade or say that Americans aren't doing enough or something like that but instead I was impressed. He chose to talk about worldly issues. The topic that stuck out in my mind most to me was about woman getting sold into sexual slavery. Three women's faces occupied huge screens and they spoke in broken dialect about the right to freedom. It was really powerful. They talked a lot about human trafficking.

They played their greatest hits of course and some of the new hits.

And their light show was quite impressive :)

All in all a good show. :clap:

He truly makes a statement.
Speaking of human trafficking, Bono was talking about Koreas and Asia specifically. I just found this story. Interesting.

"The cases of missing women worldwide in 1978 may be connected, said Japanese journalist Hideki Akiyama.

He said that witnesses around the world have shown that the modus operandi of the kidnappings was similar - all the women who disappeared that year were believed to have been in the company of men as they boarded cargo ships before they disappeared.
In Singapore that year, four Malaysian and one Singaporean woman were last seen boarding a huge cargo ship docked off Singaporean waters with three men.
In Macau, three women including one Thai national also went missing. According to Akiyama, more than 100 Japanese women had also gone missing that year.

After American army deserter Charles Jenkins, who had defected to North Korea in the 1960s, managed to identify two women - one of the missing Malaysians, Ying Ying Tai, and the Thai woman, Anocha Panjoy - investigations have once again resumed. "

More: http://www.asianewsnet.net/level3_template1.php?l3sec=4&news_id=49888

I was kind of rooting for Mother Nature to win the title of "Person" of the Year, but I am pleased with this choice -- people who are doing good for those who really need it -- and they are doing a great job of it as well. Our politicians and health care system administrators need to take hard look at this example of efficiancy and accomplishment.

Very Cool.

I had been wanting info on the Gates'foundation, so I looked it up:

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/default.htm

I also like that they are trying to improve here at home, by increasing the number of US Graduations by helping to improve reading ability.

Yes, I'd say Time made a good choice.

Especially if this gives a slight nudge to others with money and or influence to try and actually do something instead of just complaining about what's wrong.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back