Texas police officer Coleman Martin faked death before fleeing to Mexico

bluesneakers

not today satan
Reaction score
A Missing Texas Police Officer Faked His Death and Is Alive in Mexico, Officials Say

Coleman Martin, a 29-year-old officer with the Austin Police Department, was believed to be in emotional distress, after his wife told police he had left home to "clear his head" and then texted her a handwritten suicide note about 15 minutes later, ABC News reported.

"Evidence was uncovered to lead investigators to believe that the missing officer took means to stage his own death," a police statement to the network reads. "It is believed at this time he is not deceased and has fled to Mexico."

Texas police officer faked his death and fled to Mexico, say officials

According to a police affidavit released Friday, Martin's wife called police on Tuesday, April 25, and reported that he was suicidal. She told officers that he left their residence around 10 a.m., saying he needed time "clear his head." Then around 10:15 a.m., she said, he texted her a photo of a handwritten note that said he was going to commit suicide and drown himself in a lake near the Mexican border.

Police discovered that that Martin withdrew $300 from the couple's joint bank account around 11 a.m. that morning and purchased gas 15 minutes later. He then bought a raft at a sporting goods store in Austin, got $50 cash back then got food at a Wendy's at 3:50 p.m. A transaction showed that he also purchased rope and concrete clocks from a Home Depot store, according to the affidavit.

Hey Bluesneakers,

Proof that life is stranger than fiction !

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

"... he also purchased rope and concrete clocks from a Home Depot store, according to the affidavit."

That's a typo, right?? Otherwise, someone tell me.... What's a concrete clock?
ABC News must have a "source" who revealed where one can purchase "concrete clocks".

ABC News must have a "source" who revealed where one can purchase "concrete clocks".

I thought maybe he was attempting to start a retro "sundial" faux-death trend.

I keep checking the report... wondering if/when Caplan/ABC might catch their mistake. Maybe when the concrete clock strikes noon?

I think the missing police officer was having some sort of mental break.
I also think the concrete clocks should read concrete blocks.

From your link Blue.....can't believe this guy would expect to get away with this:

"Investigators soon discovered that Martin had a close relationship with a woman other than his wife. On April 27, they interviewed the woman and she gave evidence that Martin was indeed alive and the entire incident was an attempt to fake his death. In fact, the woman showed investigators an email that Martin sent her after the alleged suicide."

I'm curious how one texts a handwritten suicide note.

At first I wondered if he actually wrote in the text mode of iChat, but then I read the article said he texted a photo of the note.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, his poor wife. Hopefully she can move forward to a better future without this jerk.

This pisses me off to no end. Let's find this !

Here's a timeline best I can figure:

- Tues 4/25 10AM - Officer Martin leaves house. Texts with his wife throughout the day.
- Tues 4/25 11AM - Martin withdrew $300 cash, bought gas 11:15AM, purchased raft at Academy store in Austin
- Tues 4/25 - time/location undetermined - bought rope and concrete blocks from Home Depot
- Tues 4/25 2:19PM - purchased HP tablet (wifi capable) at Best Buy in Austin
- Tues 4/25 3:50PM - purchased food at Wendy's in Live Oak
- Tues 4/25 6PM - Martin's truck stopped by DPS on US Hwy 90 near Uvalde. Martin told the trooper he was on his way to Mexico for a vacation. The trooper saw bags in his vehicle and noted there was no indication that Martin was “in crisis.”
- Tues 4/25 PM - Martin arrives Lake Amistad. Parks truck, stages scene with raft and concrete blocks. Rode bicycle to convenience store, threw his bicycle in a dumpster behind the store. When interviewed the store clerk remembered Martin’s statement that he rode his bicycle from the lake as “odd” and that he appeared sweaty.
- Tues 4/25 10:15PM - Martin sends wife text email message of a photo of a handwritten note saying he was going to commit suicide and drown himself in a lake near the border of Mexico. Investigators later found the email was sent from an IP address located in Mexico. (Possible he was still on US side?)
- Tues 4/25 - Martin's wife calls 911 to report that her husband was suicidal.
- Tues 4/25 10:56PM - Martin calls cab to pick him up at convenience store and take him to border crossing. ARTICLE STATES THIS WAS WED, BUT SURELY THEY MEANT TUES???
- Tues 4/25 11:50PM - detectives with APD’s Homicide Cold Case/Missing Persons Unit were called to the house to help with the investigation.
- Tues 4/25 - BOLO is issued for Martin
- Wed 4/26 7AM - law enforcement with the Lake Amistad National Recreation Area reported Martin’s truck had been found near the lake
- Wed 4/26 - A raft was found on the shore a few miles from where Martin's vehicle was parked. Martin's date of birth and date of death (4/25/17) along with his initials and his wife's initials were written on the raft. Investigators also found the remnants of a concrete block and scrapes on the raft that indicated that a block had been pushed over the side. Investigators began to search the lake for Martin's body.
- Wed 4/26 - Investigators discovered that Martin had a close relationship with a woman other than his wife.
- Wed 4/26 - Investigators accessed Martin’s email account and learned the suicidal message had been sent to his wife Tuesday night at around 10:30 p.m. However, the IP address that accessed the email account was located in Mexico. After 14 hours of searching Wednesday, the agencies ended their search at Lake Amistad for the day and resumed the search Thursday morning.
- Wed 4/26 or Thurs 4/27 - Once in Mexico, Martin said in an email from an alternate email address that he took a bus toward the interior of the country.
- Thurs 4/27 4:15PM - investigators interviewed the woman and she provided evidence that Martin was still alive and the entire event had been an attempt to fake his own death. She showed investigators an email that Martin sent her after the alleged suicide telling her that it was a success.

http://www.kens5.com/news/local/police-searching-for-missing-apd-officer/435107146
http://kxan.com/2017/04/28/missing-austin-police-officer-believed-to-have-staged-his-own-death/

I have more questions than answers.
Martin was last seen in Del Rio. He used the store clerk's cell phone to call a cab at 10:56PM Tues. The cab took him to the crossing at Ciudad Acuna. I doubt buses run that late so he probably spent the night in Ciudad Acuna somewhere.

- Buses from there go where? Looks to me the nearest place an American could go to try to blend in would be Monterrey. Maybe he went further to Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, or Mexico City. Other than that or a tourist town, and American is going to stick out like a sore thumb.
- Is Martin fluent in Spanish?
- Was he in a romantic relationship with the woman who LE got the info from? She turned him in pretty fast! So unlikely she is in love with him or had planned to join him.
- How is he going to get money while in Mexico? He only took $300 out when he left.
- Why stage his death? Why not just leave - what is the benefit for him to do that?

I am curious your thoughts on this.

Jesus, just get a divorce if you don't want to be married anymore. Want to quit your job and move to Mexico? Go for it. All these hare-brained theatrics and lies speak to being a histrionic with delusions of grandeur, without the smarts to pull any of it off. At least his mistress was smart enough to cooperate with police instead of covering for the dumbass.

This pisses me off to no end. Let's find this !

Here's a timeline best I can figure:

- Tues 4/25 10AM - Officer Martin leaves house. Texts with his wife throughout the day.
- Tues 4/25 11AM - Martin withdrew $300 cash, bought gas 11:15AM, purchased raft at Academy store in Austin
- Tues 4/25 - time/location undetermined - bought rope and concrete blocks from Home Depot
- Tues 4/25 2:19PM - purchased HP tablet (wifi capable) at Best Buy in Austin
- Tues 4/25 3:50PM - purchased food at Wendy's in Live Oak
- Tues 4/25 6PM - Martin's truck stopped by DPS on US Hwy 90 near Uvalde. Martin told the trooper he was on his way to Mexico for a vacation. The trooper saw bags in his vehicle and noted there was no indication that Martin was “in crisis.”
- Tues 4/25 PM - Martin arrives Lake Amistad. Parks truck, stages scene with raft and concrete blocks. Rode bicycle to convenience store, threw his bicycle in a dumpster behind the store. When interviewed the store clerk remembered Martin’s statement that he rode his bicycle from the lake as “odd” and that he appeared sweaty.
- Tues 4/25 10:15PM - Martin sends wife text email message of a photo of a handwritten note saying he was going to commit suicide and drown himself in a lake near the border of Mexico. Investigators later found the email was sent from an IP address located in Mexico. (Possible he was still on US side?)
- Tues 4/25 - Martin's wife calls 911 to report that her husband was suicidal.
- Tues 4/25 10:56PM - Martin calls cab to pick him up at convenience store and take him to border crossing. ARTICLE STATES THIS WAS WED, BUT SURELY THEY MEANT TUES???
- Tues 4/25 11:50PM - detectives with APD’s Homicide Cold Case/Missing Persons Unit were called to the house to help with the investigation.
- Tues 4/25 - BOLO is issued for Martin
- Wed 4/26 7AM - law enforcement with the Lake Amistad National Recreation Area reported Martin’s truck had been found near the lake
- Wed 4/26 - A raft was found on the shore a few miles from where Martin's vehicle was parked. Martin's date of birth and date of death (4/25/17) along with his initials and his wife's initials were written on the raft. Investigators also found the remnants of a concrete block and scrapes on the raft that indicated that a block had been pushed over the side. Investigators began to search the lake for Martin's body.
- Wed 4/26 - Investigators discovered that Martin had a close relationship with a woman other than his wife.
- Wed 4/26 - Investigators accessed Martin’s email account and learned the suicidal message had been sent to his wife Tuesday night at around 10:30 p.m. However, the IP address that accessed the email account was located in Mexico. After 14 hours of searching Wednesday, the agencies ended their search at Lake Amistad for the day and resumed the search Thursday morning.
- Wed 4/26 or Thurs 4/27 - Once in Mexico, Martin said in an email from an alternate email address that he took a bus toward the interior of the country.
- Thurs 4/27 4:15PM - investigators interviewed the woman and she provided evidence that Martin was still alive and the entire event had been an attempt to fake his own death. She showed investigators an email that Martin sent her after the alleged suicide telling her that it was a success.

http://www.kens5.com/news/local/police-searching-for-missing-apd-officer/435107146
http://kxan.com/2017/04/28/missing-austin-police-officer-believed-to-have-staged-his-own-death/

So all of this to be busted in 2 days?

He could have simply ran away and they would have been okay with that.

So why all the fraudulent tactics?

Was he hoping for his wife to get his pension ?

Bizarre.... thinking maybe he watched too many Lifetime movies, lol.

I'm wondering if there was a life insurance plot that didn't pan out. Perhaps a new policy with the mistress as beneficiary and a plan to meet up in Mexico with new identities . . . only the gf wasn't as invested as he was, or got scared straight by whatever the cops told her re: legal consequences if she didn't cooperate fully. Or he wanted to escape from out of control debts or something. Unless he's just a complete nut, a (poorly) faked death only makes sense to me if there were financial reasons. It will be interesting to see what details emerge. Chances are he will be caught soon, just based on how quickly his plot has unraveled so far.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snugglebear
Back