981 users online (146 members and 835 guests)  

Websleuths News

2017.04.10 - Neil Gorsuch Sworn in as 113th SC Justice

Richard Wolf and David Jackson | USA TODAY
    Updated 1:19 p.m. ET April 10, 2017

[...]

"I am humbled by the trust placed in me today. I will never forget that to whom much is given, much will be expected," he said. "And I promise you that I will do all my powers permit to be a faithful servant of the Constitution and laws of this great nation."

He paid special tribute to Scalia, whose death in February 2016 created the vacancy. "I won't ever forget that the seat I inherit today is that of a very, very great man," Gorsuch said.

Trump, clearly cherishing the moment amid what has been a rocky start to his presidency, said appointing Supreme Court justices is "the most important thing that a president of the United States does."

"And I got it done in the first 100 days. That's even nice," he said to laughter from about 200 people assembled in the Rose Garden. "You think that's easy?"

cont. at the link

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ice/100277966/
    Last edited by bessie; 04-30-2017 at 09:35 PM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

The Supreme Court nomination was the main reason why I voted for Trump.

Supreme Court's newest justice sticks to 'plain language'

Richard Wolf | USA TODAY
    12:30 p.m. ET April 28, 2017

[...]

Heralded by President Trump and conservative backers as a jurist who opposes judicial activism, Gorsuch showed during oral arguments in 13 cases that he sticks to the letter of the law.

From his first day on the bench, when he complained about lawyers and judges making up statutory provisions, to his most recent, when he bemoaned "linguistic somersaults," the 49-year-old Coloradan framed each debate by the laws and precedents involved.

"I would have thought cases of discrimination under federal discrimination statutes are cases of discrimination under federal discrimination statutes, and not civil service disputes," Gorsuch said, seeking to parse differences that have become ambiguous over time.

Later, to drive home his belief that laws written by Congress should be taken literally, not interpreted broadly, he said, "'subject to' can also mean subject to."

cont at the link

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...age/100950306/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bessie; 04-30-2017 at 09:45 PM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Neil Gorsuch: Who is he? Bio, facts, background and political views

By Josh Gerstein
    Politico.com
    01/31/17 12:56 PM EST
    Updated 01/31/17 09:07 PM EST

[...]
    “The real appeal of Gorsuch nomination is he’s likely to be the most effective conservative nominee in terms of winning over Anthony Kennedy and forging conservative decisions on the court,” said Jeffrey Rosen of the National Constitution Center. “He’s unusual for his memorable writing style, the depth of his reading and his willingness to rethink constitutional principles from the ground up. Like Justice Scalia, he sometimes reaches results that favor liberals when he thinks the history or text of the Constitution or the law require it, especially in areas like criminal law or the rights of religious minorities, but unlike Scalia he’s less willing to defer to regulations and might be more willing to second-guess Trump’s regulatory decision.”

Gorsuch is a favorite of legal conservatives because he has sharply questioned a three-decade old legal precedent that many on the right believe has given too much power to the regulatory state. The landmark 1984 Supreme Court ruling involving the Chevron oil company held that courts should defer to federal agencies’ reasonable interpretations of ambiguous federal laws.

cont at the link

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...l-views-234437
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

I don't agree with all of Justice Gorsuch's positions (particularly his pro-life positions), but overwhelmingly I believe he is good for the SCOTUS, and good for America. He is a thoughtful and careful judge, and quite a good writer, according to several attorneys I know.

He is a fine and honorable judge. Until he was nominated for SCOTUS, pretty much no one had anything "bad" to say about him. I'm glad to see him on the court.

I have a feeling/ hope he and Elena Kagan are going to "bond" and be good friends. I was always impressed at the genuine friendship between Scalia and Kagan. He took her hunting for the first time, and she shot a gun for the first time. That was a great story-- two justices, with opposing views on pretty much everything, going hunting together.

I must say I'm greatly relieved, given the presence of too many activist judges playing games with the current admin's ability to reinforce border security and return to the rule of law, to know the Supreme Court will be safe from leftist insanity for the foreseeable future, starting with Gorsuch. Rumor has it Gorsuch isn't the actual Scalia replacement. That person is still waiting in the wings.

Best thing for usa.
    It's my opinion if no link provided.

Misspellings due to fat fingers

Words matter.

You don't know what you don't know.