1186 users online (156 members and 1030 guests)  

Websleuths News

2017.04.29 - The Latest: Trump Attacks News Media on Night of Dinner

Trump attacks news media on night of correspondents' dinner, says they deserve a failing grade.

April 29, 2017, at 8:11 p.m.

WASHINGTON (AP) The Latest on President Donald Trump's 100th day in office Saturday (all times EDT):

8:10 p.m.

President Donald Trump is issuing a scathing attack on the national news media at a Pennsylvania rally he organized for the same evening the White House Correspondents' Association hosts its annual dinner.

Weeks ago Trump decided to skip the dinner and even wished the group well. But speaking to supporters Saturday night in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, the president derided the news media and accused them of "fake news."

Trump says if the media's job is to be honest and tell the truth, then they deserve "a big, fat failing grade." He says that in contrast, his administration has been delivering for the American people every day.

Trump says the media are trapped at the dinner in Washington and he predicts it will be "very, very boring

7:15 p.m.

President Donald Trump has signed an executive order directing the Commerce Department and the U.S. trade representative to conduct a study of U.S. trade agreements.

The goal is to determine whether America is being treated fairly by its trading partners and the 164-nation World Trade Organization.

Trump signed the order on the 100th day of his presidency at a Pennsylvania company that makes shovels. He also is holding a rally in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, to celebrate the milestone.

More at the link

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...umps-100th-day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Watch Hasan Minhaj Roast Donald Trump And The Media At The White House Correspondents’ Dinner

“I would say it is an honor to be here, but that would be an alternative fact,” Minhaj said at the beginning of his remarks. “No one wanted to do this, so of course it lands in the hands of an immigrant. That’s how it all goes down.”
    “Even the president is not beyond the reach of the First Amendment,” he said. “But the president didn’t show up, because Donald Trump doesn’t care about free speech.”

“I’m proud that all of us are here tonight to defend that right,” he continued, “even if the man in the White House never would.”

The night Donald Trump failed to break the White House correspondents' dinner

"A large group of Hollywood actors and Washington media are consoling each other in a hotel ballroom in our nation's capital right now," the president told about 7,000 fans at the not-quite-full arena in Harrisburg.
    This was only two-thirds true. There were vanishingly few Hollywood actors at the dinner in the basement of the Washington Hilton (Matthew Modine! Alan Ruck!) but the press was indeed settling for a consolation prize. Journalists communed with journalists in a stalwart and tipsy celebration of the First Amendment - and, of course, themselves.

The guest list suffered not because Trump sent his regrets but, more likely, because of the chance he might attend; he remains dauntingly unpopular with the New York and Hollywood A-list that he had long aspired to join. The pre-dinner receptions, hosted by outlets such as the Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post, were staid and perfunctory, absent the usual angling for a sighting of a "Game of Thrones" star.

I wish I could say I was surprised he was too afraid to go, but the man is a massive bundle of insecurities with no sense of humour.

And a big .

I for one am glad he didn't go, leave them to themselves. Msm is too political, they should do their job and stop trying to sway ppl's opinions and beliefs. As the election showed we don't need them to tell us who to vote for. Jmo
    It's my opinion if no link provided.

Misspellings due to fat fingers

Words matter.

You don't know what you don't know.

Love his continued humiliation of the liberal media.

Best. Election. Evah.

I think a good business venture would be for panties, some people are going to be needing new ones from being bunched and wadded up.

Words matter.

Byron York: Piety and Trump-bashing: The sheer awfulness of the White House Correspondents' dinner

As it turned out, the writer-filmmaker team won the night's prediction game. Just as the writer predicted, the media self-regard on display at the Hinckley Hilton Saturday was of a degree seldom, if ever, equaled at traditional Washington events and that is saying something. And Minhaj did indeed take his opportunity to teach those assembled about the dangers of discrimination. On the other hand, the filmmaker correctly foresaw the sheer, unfiltered, nastiness directed not just at Trump but also at top members of his administration that Minhaj delivered along with his lessons.

Bottom line: The White House Correspondents' dinner, the premier event of the Washington press corps, was two hours of mawkish self-celebration followed by 30 minutes of Trump-bashing.

Mason's remarks managed to be both self-congratulating and defiant, and at the same time proof that Trump is living rent-free in the White House Correspondents' Association's collective heads. For many years, the dinner has been almost entirely about the president. This year, with Trump absent, the Association tried mightily to make the dinner about freedom of the press, about the value of journalism, about the First Amendment the big banner behind the podium read CELEBRATING THE FIRST AMENDMENT. But the fact was, the dinner was still all about the president. It was just about a president who wasn't there.

Even when the comedian stopped his routine to become himself, and became deadly serious, his thoughts were all about Trump. The president is living rent-free in Hasan Minhaj's head, too.

Some journalists have argued for years that the White House Correspondents' Dinner should be scrapped. Some boycotted the dinner long before Trump's arrival. Now, whatever else it is, the ponderous, sprawling, celebrity-heavy event that it has become is based entirely on the presidency. And when the man himself is sitting at the head table, how could it not? The flip side of that is that the absence of the president, for a number of years running, might make it increasingly hard for organizers to keep going.
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/by...rticle/2621729

BBM

Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    I think a good business venture would be for panties, some people are going to be needing new ones from being bunched and wadded up.
    I love how his staff are in a competition to get the biggest whopper into a news story.

I think the ones about Bannon are my favorite because he causes so many D splodey heads.

The tears are delicious

And from your link, below, this is fantastic. The liberal media and Ds still haven't figured out their lies, hate and intolerance are why they lost

And on it went, for a long, long time. Reporters, even big stars with remarkable access to the White House, appeared on the defensive, over and over. We are not fake news, they said. We are not. Not!

Finally it was time for Minhaj. The "Daily Show" comic managed to work his identity as a Muslim into the first few sentences of his routine, which at times seemed straight from Resistance Twitter. Trump is the liar-in-chief. He's the "orange man behind the Muslim ban." The real leader of the country (that would be Vladimir Putin) is not at the dinner because, of course, he lives in Moscow.

Trump's aides, a crew of racists and Nazis, weren't in the room, either, Minhaj said. Attorney General Jeff Sessions wrote "NO" on his invitation. "Just 'no,' which happens to be his second favorite N-word."

Spokesman Sean Spicer was also absent, Minhaj said. "His go-to move when you ask him a tough question is denying the Holocaust."

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos wasn't there because "she's busy curating her collection of children's tears."

Nor was top White House aide Steve Bannon present. "I do not see Steve Bannon," Minhaj said. "I do NOT see Steve Bannon. Not see Steve Bannon. Not see Steve Bannon." He kept on until no one could miss that he meant Nazi Steve Bannon.

Wow-- and no right wingers showed up to protest, riot, assault attendees, damage property......

But how can that BE?? Why were conservatives not "triggered" to committ violence against these attendees??

Those silly, tolerant, conservatives! When will they learn how to properly riot and commit criminal acts when there is speech and ideas they don't agree with?

What are these conservative universities TEACHING their students?? Where are the conservative college students to shut this down??!

If only if only Ann Coulter or a look alike would have run across the stage and torn down the "celebrating free speech" sign.

Words matter.

From PDJT at his rally Sat. night: "There is another big gathering taking place tonight in Washington, D.C. Did you hear about it? A large group of Hollywood actors and Washington media are consoling each other in a hotel ballroom in our nation's capital right now."

Quote Originally Posted by Imp View Post
    From PDJT at his rally Sat. night: "There is another big gathering taking place tonight in Washington, D.C. Did you hear about it? A large group of Hollywood actors and Washington media are consoling each other in a hotel ballroom in our nation's capital right now."

Hahaha, as usual, Trump en fuego, but I think he was wrong on part of that. I read that since it was only reporters there, celebrities didn't show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenista View Post
    Hahaha, as usual, Trump en fuego, but I think he was wrong on part of that. I read that since it was only reporters there, celebrities didn't show up.
    Rut roh. No celebs? Wow. Poor presstitutes. Can't even buy friends at this point.