1178 users online (200 members and 978 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Uncle has been missing since 1960

I have a unsolved mystery in my own family. My mom's brother has been missing from Shewsberry (sp), WV since about 1960. I called my mom tonight to get permission to post his story on here in hopes that we get a lead or advise that might give my family closure.

My mom moved away from home in 1958 and hadn't seen her brother since she moved. My grandmother told her that her brother Billy, aka William Leon Morris, had not stopped by in a long time and that no one had seen him. He has never been seen again. This was about 1960 to1963, my mom will pin the time line down for me soon. My grandmother reported him missing. She also hired someone to track him down and his social security number was traced to somewhere in CA, but once they got there he (or whoever was using it, was gone). Billy was a gambler, preferring card games and would often lose his whole paycheck. He would have to borrow money to feed his family. He was married to a woman who mom said was never mentally "all there", and after Billy left she went insane and was committed to a mental hospital. Their four children were sent to an orphanage, one was adopted out, another went to live with family, and the remaining two spent their entire childhood there. My mom said his wife's brothers were a bad bunch, also gamblers and drinkers. She thinks that these brothers may have done something to Billy, and his wife went insane because she knew something. Billy was born April 25, 1935 (?) in WV. Mom said he was "short", maybe over 5'8', but not taller than 6', and stocky build, not thin. He had light brown hair and brown eyes. He chewed tobacco, and was in the Marines and discharged for "undesirable behavior", not sure, mom thinks he deserted.

I need to know where to start. Mom doesn't think there are any records of my grandmothers where she hired a private detective. I may be able to get his social security number, either through family, or by ordering military records. My mom doesn't know where in CA his social showed up, but she firmly believes it was not him. She believes someone did something to him.

Thanks, gardenmom

Hi Gardenmom,

I would suggest you get his SS#. That would be the best place to start. So many checks can be run on his SS# for free. You would be amazed at the people here and how they can and will get you results... if it is still being used. I bet if you post it... you will have quite alot of answers soon.

You may want to send it to someone here in a private email instead of posting it publicly. But I have seen other threads where they posted it and got lots of people posting things they had found from different sources just using the SS#.

Good Luck! I hope you find him. I'll be keeping positive thoughts

Do you have a picture of him? Do you know how to get military records? Does your Mom remember where in Ca the Social Security Number was traced to?
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Can you tell us the wife's name? I ran some checks on a detective program I have a lot of William L Morris' came up, in CA and WV. If I had some more info, like wife's name and childrens names, maybe I could match one. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by christine2448
    Can you tell us the wife's name? I ran some checks on a detective program I have a lot of William L Morris' came up, in CA and WV. If I had some more info, like wife's name and childrens names, maybe I could match one. Maybe.
    His wife's name was Betty Lou Wilkerson Morris, I'm not sure if she is still alive. His children are Suzy, Christina, Betty Jo, and William. They are all still living.

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    Do you have a picture of him? Do you know how to get military records? Does your Mom remember where in Ca the Social Security Number was traced to?
    She is going to send me pictures. I was thinking National archives for records, and no, she does not know, and grandmas info has been lost.

Thanks. I am going to try for that social number, I hope my aunt has it, or knows how to get it. Otherwise it may take awhile.

Jeesh, I am sorry, trying hard for ya. There are so many William L Morris listed, and none seem to match the wife's name or children's name, or DOB.

Are you trying to contact the children, or they don't know where he is either? The son may be one of the WL Morris that is coming up in search. All in WV....or should I only be searching CA?

I did however find a listing for Betty Lou Morris, is that a common name? In West Virginia. I just Pm'd ya the info.

West Virginia SSN

Social Security Numbers beginning with 235 are indeed numbers issued by the state of West Virginia. The information you mention does sound like it may be the missing man.

A next step would be to see if there is a funeral notice or obituary published, and to see if there is a cemetery or funeral home, or church that might have more information on him and any family or friends in California. If he died with a will, or if the state had to appoint an executor of his estate, there might be more information available checking that route.

If he was a Marine Corps Deserter who was never apprehended, the Marine Corps would still carry him on the deserter rolls. He would not have been discharged, however, unless he had been apprehended. Military records might be obtained through a Freedom of Information Request to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO. If you have proof of his death, and claim to be a near relative, you might be able to obtain some parts of his record, particularly a copy of his discharge papers, and a DD-214 summary of service. There is a special form which you would need to fill out, and it may be available on line now.

I would go to the Doe Network as they are experts on older cases.

Kelly

http://library.thinkquest.org/20941/45.html

I used this to find out it was issued in West Virginia...it's quick and fast...

Happiness...consists in giving, and in serving others.
    - Henry Drummond

GardenMom, does your Mom have a reason for feeling that he never went to Ca, or is it because he never got in contact with the family again?
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    GardenMom, does your Mom have a reason for feeling that he never went to Ca, or is it because he never got in contact with the family again?
    My grandmother firmly believed he would not just "up and leave" his family, and her. My mom comes from a large family and he never contacted anyone. He was only 24, was married, with 4 young children. However, he was a compulsive gambler. My family always believed someone did something to him. It was believed that someone else was using his social in CA. I'm not sure why they never pursued it after the dead end. Perhaps my grandma ran out of money to keep up the search. They weren't exactly rolling in the money.
    Another note, I called my mom today with the info I found last night about the Billy L. in CA that died in 1995. She is going to try to find his social. It may take awhile. We are doing a family chain! The last people to call are Billy's children. Don't want to involve them, as it would be painful, considering they ended up as orpans. However, we do want this mystery solved, no matter how painful.

Yep, born in WV and I have a 235 number and I know some other folks born in the state with 236.

Interesting story!!

Hey, found some info that 232 to 236 were issued to WV. Not an official site, just a forum type thing where everybody's chatting back and forth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast