1238 users online (190 members and 1048 guests)  

Websleuths News

Things that unite us >> things that divide us

I am grateful for this new thread. If nothing else it seems to have cleaned up the misplaced vitriol on all those case threads for dead and missing people, that for the slightest reason get folks' political panties in a twist. And real it doesn't take much to get us going does it? Possibility of a victim or perp on welfare or conversely owning a silver spoon...that's good for a page or two of off-topic, moderation-heavy ranting as are police shootings, well gun involvement generally, terror of any kind, questionable parenting etc...

But after reading for a few days while tucked up with Flu, it is a little sad to see the bipartisan name-calling has just moved venues. Maybe it's my weak physical state, but I am so very, very worn down by political ranting that does nothing but dig a deeper divide. There is no debate or discussion here on these threads...it starts off with a statement of opinions, people pull out 'their' media sources to assert their opinions a little louder with some 'journalism' links, and then the whole thing just becomes pages and pages of the vicious, venom-spitting, dagger-throwing same old, same old.

I have such great respect for the sleuthing minds, writing prowess, victim empathy, witty humor and general awesomeness of WS posters...well I kind of thought I would start a thread on things that make us more the same, or things we can agree on, or things that could represent a harmonious compromise Please weigh in...and if it's not your thing...please don't burst this tiny little bubble of goodwill (...it was a thread idea started on painkillers after all)...just scroll on by...
    Last edited by eucalyptuz; 05-03-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eucalyptuz View Post
    I am grateful for this new thread. If nothing else it seems to have cleaned up the misplaced vitriol on all those case threads for dead and missing people, that for the slightest reason get folks' political panties in a twist. And real it doesn't take much to get us going does it? Possibility of a victim or perp on welfare or conversely owning a silver spoon...that's good for a page or two of off-topic, moderation-heavy ranting as are police shootings, well gun involvement generally, terror of any kind, questionable parenting etc...

But after reading for a few days while tucked up with Flu ��, it is a little sad to see the bipartisan name-calling has just moved venues. Maybe it's my weak physical state, but I am so very, very worn down by political ranting that does nothing but dig a deeper divide. There is no debate here...it starts off with a statement of opinions, people pull out 'their' media sources to assert their opinions a little louder with some 'journalism' links, and then the whole thing just becomes pages and pages of the vicious, venom-spitting, dagger-throwing same old, same old.

I have such great respect for the sleuthing minds, writing prowess, victim empathy, witty humor and general awesomeness of WS posters...well I kind of thought I would start a thread on things that make us more the same, or things we can agree on, or things that could represent a harmonious compromise Please weigh in...and if it's not your thing...please don't burst this tiny little bubble of goodwill (...it was a thread idea started on painkillers after all)...just scroll on by...
    So you wish to hear about things that unite us rather than divide us?

But after reading for a few days while tucked up with Flu ��, it is a little sad to see the bipartisan name-calling has just moved venues. Maybe it's my weak physical state, but I am so very, very worn down by political ranting that does nothing but dig a deeper divide. There is no debate here...it starts off with a statement of opinions, people pull out 'their' media sources to assert their
    opinion a little louder with some 'journalism' links, and then the whole thing just becomes pages and pages of the vicious, venom-spitting, dagger-throwing same old, same old.

You're right - and I believe it's a sign of the current, greater divide in our country. That said, I think many Americans - and many others - have very strong opinions about the political climate and the Trump and Obama administrations. It's quite a departure from anything we've seen in many years - if ever. I appreciate the opportunity to vent and, hopefully, to have a meeting of the minds on at least some issues.

Quote Originally Posted by RANCH View Post
    So you wish to hear about things that unite us rather than divide us?
    Yes please. The opposite of Pandora's box. Finding a tin and agreeing on (or heck even suggesting) which worms to put back in...

Yes please. The opposite of Pandora's box. Finding a tin and agreeing on which worms to put back in...
    Thanks. The title of the thread has both in it. Don't be surprised when members post about things that divide us,

Quote Originally Posted by RANCH View Post
    Thanks. The title of the thread has both in it. Don't be surprised when members post about things that divide us,
    I see that now. I was thinking about the math symbol ">". As in "greater than".
    Things that unite us >> things that divide us
    The sum of things that unite us is much greater than the sum of things that divide us.

But after reading for a few days while tucked up with Flu, it is a little sad to see the bipartisan name-calling has just moved venues. Maybe it's my weak physical state, but I am so very, very worn down by political ranting that does nothing but dig a deeper divide. There is no debate or discussion here on these threads...it starts off with a statement of opinions, people pull out 'their' media sources to assert their opinions a little louder with some 'journalism' links, and then the whole thing just becomes pages and pages of the vicious, venom-spitting, dagger-throwing same old, same old.

What a sweetheart you appear to be. In the meantime, I'm gonna say a few prayers for you to get well!
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

I'd like to think we all have things that can unite us. I think we all share deep love for our families and our fur babies...and for our communities and our neighborhoods?
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

skibaboo is offline <3 The amazing Mr Skibs, GBNF <3 Now an 'official' crazy cat (& Map) lady.

Yes, yes, yes. Do not burst that bubble! Love is stronger than hate, but I often feel like hate is winning, and not just in America, the world over. It's the same in the UK, divides, divides, divides. I love WS because despite the content, so much evil and pain, and hurt I see unity and compassion and so much love for complete strangers. It's warms my heart and gives me hope, hope that love will always win, no matter how tested we may be in these times, we made it through much worse. I think the only thing that unites on such large levels is hurt and pain, things like 9/11 and it scares me poopless it may take something like that again to unite again.

Hillsborough 15/4/1989 JFT96 GBNF YNWA *Verdict - The REAL Truth: 96 Liverpool fans were unlawfully killed*

Celebrating Mr Skibaboo RIP Baljeev Johal, my dear friend. RIP

Case Map Database - Links to all Case Maps I have created, and their related Websleuths threads

We all want children, even childhood, to be safe & carefree & adventurous for all.

Read good books, climb trees, build forts, pitch rocks into ponds....

And we all want our children to have a great education...and eventually be able to get jobs that they will be able to thrive with.

I don't think education should be free for all.
    There are already tons of financial monies out there for kids and adults who have the scores to get in and attend schools and universities.
    There is also a huge amount of money and repeated chances for kids with low grades, who are doing poorly.
    There are funds for adults and returning adult students to cover education.
    I don't believe in anything for free, because someone is paying for this in all actuality.
    I actually think that it should be a more stringent and higher grading standard to be able to keep your financial aid.

jmo
    Always do the right thing because you do enough things you think are right that end up being wrong-my dad-RIP 1/19/2013

My neighbor is a big Trump supporter and I'm not. In March we had some big storms with a lot of wind. One evening the wind was really blowing and I thought I better go get something to eat before it gets really bad. As I was getting in my car my neighbor came out of her house and yelled, "Is everything ok? Are you ok?" I was kind of embarrassed, just hungry. A few days later the weather had cleared and she was outside so I went to talk to her. "I just want to let you know I really appreciated your concern over my welfare. It was really nice to know that someone cares." Then she started talking "We have to start going walking>' Do this do that. It was nice. Weather always unites us.

I sent money to Butte County (Oroville Reservoir) because I wouldn't want to have to leave my house for days. Butte County is heavily Republican and voted Trump. I don't care, they are still people. I hope if California has an earthquake that the red states remember us.
    IMO

I don't know what unites us.

People want things, say like the happy childhood, but then there are caveats put on it. They are poor so they shouldn't be walking around in fancy clothes. They get free programs others don't.

Let us take the issue of drinking water. Natives fought for that, and then people had great glee when they were forced off the land and trash was left.

So not sure what unites us