1238 users online (190 members and 1048 guests)  

Websleuths News

2017.05.04 Justice Anthony Kennedy preparing for imminent retirement?

Many signs indicate that SCOTUS Justice Anthony Kennedy is planning to retire within a year. Justice Kennedy was appointed by President Ronald Reagan, and is often considered the "swing vote" on the SCOTUS. Justice Kennedy has been on the SCOTUS since 1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Kennedy

Rumors surround Justice Kennedy exit, but he's not talking

WASHINGTON — As one justice settles into his new job at the Supreme Court, is another about to leave?

Eighty-year-old Justice Anthony Kennedy is so far refusing to comment on speculation that he may soon retire after 29 years on the court.

But that hasn't stopped President Donald Trump and, obliquely, the Republican senator in charge of high court confirmation hearings from weighing in on the prospect that Kennedy could step down as soon as this spring or summer. If not this year, several former law clerks said they would not be surprised to see the justice retire in 2018.

"I've heard the same rumors that a lot of people have heard. And I have a lot of respect for that gentleman, a lot," Trump told The Washington Times in an interview published Sunday.

Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, told reporters last month, "I would expect a resignation this summer." He did not name any names but cited a "rumored" retirement.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...Ovv?li=BBnb7Kz

Conservatives prepare for Justice Anthony Kennedy's retirement

Friends and associates believe Kennedy is seriously considering retirement. In general, the burdens of age and demands at the court weigh in one direction. His deep interest -- and leading role -- in America's constitutional democracy weigh in the other.

The question appears not to be whether Kennedy will retire soon, but when -- at the end of this June, or next?
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/01/politi...rement-rumors/

‘Friends and Associates Believe Kennedy Is Seriously Considering Retirement.’

wo weeks ago, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley said he expected another resignation this summer.
    Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...ing-retirement

Sources indicate Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy will retire this summer
    https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/05/...retire-summer/

Justice Anthony Kennedy To Retire Soon

https://www.worldnewspolitics.com/20...y-retire-soon/

The explosive politics both parties face in filling Justice Kennedy's seat

The anniversary came to mind this week with the increasing speculation that Justice Anthony Kennedy would retire as early as June. Kennedy is the ultimate judicial salient and, with his retirement, the long static front of the Court could suddenly disappear. For decades, the Court has been evenly split along entrenched lines. For liberals, Kennedy was their salient on great social issues like abortion, same sex marriage, and free speech. At least on those issues, the lines were static and safe.

Yet, for decades, both sides have worked to break the hold of the other with the removal of a key justice. That moment may now be at hand. It is said that the Ypres Salient explosion was so huge that it was felt at 10 Downing Street in London and registered as an earthquake in Switzerland. The Trump administration may soon set off an explosion that would have equal seismic impact on the law by replacing Kennedy with a reliable hard-right conservative.

Ironically, it was the Democrats who made this moment not just possible, but probable. In one of the most politically moronic moves in a century, the Democrats under President Obama eliminated much of the filibuster rule for appointments — a move with comparatively little benefit in securing a few lower level positions while laying the groundwork for the “nuclear option” exercised by the GOP recently in removing the rest of the rule for Supreme Court nominations.

The result was much more serious than the pushing through the confirmation of Neil Gorsuch. There is no longer any filibuster threat for the replacement of Kennedy (or other elderly justices like Ruth Bader Ginsburg). Had the Democrats remained faithful with Senate tradition, there is a fair chance that some Republicans would have balked at the nuclear option (as they had previously) in forcing through Gorsuch.

The greatest problem for liberals with this self-inflicted wound is not the change in the numerical threshold but the political reality for confirmation. The filibuster rule gave political cover for Republican senators in justifying their opposition for nominees who were too far right. They could claim that they personally wanted such a radical change but that the filibuster rule required them to compromise. Now that cover is gone.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...illing-justice

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ru...rticle/2622831

Rumors of Supreme Court vacancy spark liberal panic
    by Ryan Lovelace | May 11, 2017, 2:41 PM

Ultimately, Kennedy is the only unimpeachable source on the timing and manner of his departure from the Supreme Court. If Kennedy decides how to leave the high court in the same fashion he rules on controversies, he will continue to keep court-watchers guessing.

But the calculus for liberals worried about another Supreme Court vacancy does not appear to have changed. While Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill opposed Gorsuch's Supreme Court confirmation, she outlined how Senate Democrats view future Supreme Court vacancies in comments to donors at a private fundraiser in March. In audio obtained by the Washington Examiner, the senator, who is up for re-election in 2018, sounded the alarm for liberals about the next vacancy.

"God forbid, Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies, or [Anthony] Kennedy retires or [Stephen] Breyer has a stroke or is no longer able to serve. Then we're not talking about Scalia for Scalia, which is what Gorsuch is, we're talking about Scalia for somebody on the court who shares our values," McCaskill said at the private fundraiser. "And then all of a sudden the things I fought for with scars on my back to show for it in this state are in jeopardy."

Now that the Senate has lowered the threshold for confirming a Supreme Court justice to 51 votes, liberals such as McCaskill look poised to oppose Trump's lower court nominees at every turn. The Trump administration has already selected three individuals — Judge Amul Thapar, Michigan Supreme Court Justice Joan Larsen and Minnesota Supreme Court Justice David Stras — from his Supreme Court short lists for federal appeals court positions, and liberals did not wait long to mount opposition.

"Lower court nominees today can become Supreme Court nominees tomorrow," Wydra said.
    Last edited by K_Z; 05-12-2017 at 12:29 AM.

Yes he is (I heard July) and then hopefully Ginsburg will be gone too and our country will be saved.

I hate him with a hot burning passion, but I thank Harry Reid every day for giving us the Reid Option.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenista View Post
    Yes he is (I heard July) and then hopefully Ginsburg will be gone too and our country will be saved.

I hate him with a hot burning passion, but I thank Harry Reid every day for giving us the Reid Option.
    I hope and pray it's true - same with Ginsburg.
    "In a time of universal deceit -- telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

SUPREME COURT | Thu Jun 1, 2017 | 10:39am EDT
    Fearing Trump's next move, liberals urge Supreme Court conservative Kennedy to stay

Liberal activists are urging U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, a conservative with whom they often disagree, to put off any thought of retirement, fearing President Donald Trump would replace him with a jurist further to the right.

The liberal Democrats' keep-Kennedy campaign, being pursued publicly and privately, reflects how powerless they have become against the Republican president when it comes to high court vacancies since the Senate in April reduced the vote tally needed to confirm a Supreme Court nomination to 51 from 60.

It also shows how big the stakes are for both sides in any decision that Kennedy, who turns 81 in July, makes about his future on the court. If he were to retire, Trump would have a historic opportunity to recast the court in a more conservative posture, possibly for decades to come.

Some former Kennedy clerks have said he is thinking about retirement. He has declined to comment on his plans, despite requests from many media outlets including Reuters.

Right now, Kennedy "is the most important man in America.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN18S4LT

We have only 3-4 weeks left of the current SCOTUS term. Arguments are finished.

Generally, when Supreme Court justices retire, they announce their intention to do so on the last day of the current court term, which occurs in late June. So, if Kennedy is going to retire in 2017, we will probably know within two months. If he does not, then the next point at which he (or any other justice) would announce an intent to retire would be June of 2018. It is certainly possible that a health issue could come up for one of the justices forcing them to retire during a term, though this is very rare. And of course it’s possible a justice will die in office, as Scalia did last year. But when they plan to retire, they usually do it at the end of a term in June (which gives the Senate and the President time to fill the seat before the Court returns to session in late September or early October).
    http://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/when...ennedy-retire/

Pretty much "no one" thinks Justice AK will remain until 2020. The big debate is whether he will announcement his retirement THIS June, ahead of the 2018 midterms, or whether he will remain an additional term, and announce in June of 2018.

We also have to remember that Justice NG clerked for Justice AK, and AK respects him a lot. We can pretty confidently infer that AK approved of Trump's NG's nomination to SCOTUS. AK certainly knows who is on Trumps's short list to replace him, so it will be interesting to watch the timing of his retirement.

Justice Neil Gorsuch appears in the new SCOTUS official photo:

http://www.reuters.com/video/2017/06...eoId=371790408

A few more links about the campaign to persuade AK to not retire:

Liberal Activists Reach Across Aisle to Convince Justice Kennedy to Stay on the Bench

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1415...the-bench.html

http://www.lifenews.com/2017/06/01/l...t-replace-him/

*I have to wonder if there are new signs that he's announcing in 3 weeks, due to the relative "flurry" of new attention to persuading him to stay.
    Last edited by K_Z; 06-01-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Now that oral arguments have been concluded for this term, all that is left is the issuance of opinions, and it’s safe to say that every question Gorsuch asked during oral arguments and every word contained in opinions he may write between now and July are being carefully scrutinized.

Opponents will want to be prepared to justify their resistance to Gorsuch’s nomination, laying the predicate for a very aggressive public relations campaign designed to paint any Kennedy replacement Trump might choose as, like Gorsuch, an extremist who, among other things, would roll back civil rights law, eliminate privacy, erase the First Amendment, rescind barriers to the merger of church and state, populate the country with guns, and provide the Trump White House with extraordinary powers that would threaten individual freedom.

Without the filibuster, only public pressure can alter the 51 votes now needed to confirm a Supreme Court nominee, and the contest for and against that choice has already begun.
    http://www.richmond.com/opinion/thei...5e02ce8b1.html

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Anthony Kennedy retirement watch at a fever pitch
    80-year-old justice often casts vital swing vote

By ARIANE DE VOGUE , CNN SUPREME COURT REPORTER

Posted: 8:08 AM, June 24, 2017
    Updated: 9:14 AM, June 24, 2017

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Justice Anthony Kennedy, the man who so often determines the outcome of the most controversial Supreme Court cases, is himself the center of brewing speculation.

Will he stay or will he go?

The rumors have swirled for months and the 80-year-old justice has done nothing either personally or though intermediaries to set the record straight on whether he will step down...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/p...-a-fever-pitch

My heart can't take this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Silence means security, silence means approval.

Big cases, retirement rumors as Supreme Court nears finish

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/89ae...ef40a97014007e

Kennedy and his clerks were gathering over the weekend for a reunion that was pushed up a year and helped spark talk he might be leaving the court.
    It's my opinion if no link provided.

Misspellings due to fat fingers

Words matter.

You don't know what you don't know.

My prediction is Justice AK will announce his retirement very soon, perhaps next week. This is so that there is a possibility:

1. That his successor will be chosen, and the confirmation at least underway (if not confirmed) by the Oct 1 start of next session.

2. That his successor will be in place well before the 2018 midterms.

I think he very much approved of the Gorsuch nomination, as Gorsch clerked for him long ago, and he performed the oath of office for Gorsuch.

Like all of us, Justice AK well knows who is on the short list to be nominated when he makes his decision to retire. And since he was appointed by a GOP POTUS, I think he will want to retire with a GOP POTUS to replace him. IMO, there is no way he will stay to 2018, 2019, or 2020.

Justice AK is not a showboat. I don't think he'll announce from the bench Monday. He'll make another more appropriate arrangement to announce, but it could be as soon as Monday, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post

Don't worry. It'll be ok.

And the nonstop media criticism of whomever is selected will be a welcome diversion from the Russia nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Z View Post
    Don't worry. It'll be ok.

And the nonstop media criticism of whomever is selected will be a welcome diversion from the Russia nonsense.
    Oh I'm sure the R's are counting on this as well.

45 himself all but verified there IS Russia nonsense btw. On yet another Tweet storm of stupidity.
    I speak fluently in reaction gifs.

"gangs"

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/89ae...13a5040b8300fe

Kennedy has given no public sign that he would step down this year, but he turns 81 next month and has been on the court for nearly 30 years. Kennedy's departure would allow conservatives to take firm control of the court.
    It's my opinion if no link provided.

Misspellings due to fat fingers

Words matter.

You don't know what you don't know.