699 users online (78 members and 621 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2017.05.04 FBI Report - "De-policing", "Anti-police" "New Norm"

FBI spokesman Matthew Bertron said the study was written in April.

“Nearly every police official interviewed agreed that for the first time, law enforcement not only felt that their national political leaders [publicly] stood against them, but also that the politicians’ words and actions signified that disrespect to law enforcement was acceptable in the aftermath of the Brown shooting,” the study said.

As a result, “Law enforcement officials believe that defiance and hostility displayed by assailants toward law enforcement appears to be the new norm.”

Much more at link http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...cop-hostility/

FBI Report: Media Narrative Inspires Violence Against Police

“These assailants expressed that they were distrustful of the police due to their previous personal interactions with law enforcement and what they heard and read in the media about other incidents of law enforcement shootings,” the FBI said. “Specifically, in the Dallas, TX and Baton Rouge, LA attacks, the assailants said they were influenced by the Black Lives Matter movement, and their belief that law enforcement was targeting black males.”

Is there any proof this report actually came from the FBI?

Any statements from anyone actually in the FBI?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    Is there any proof this report actually came from the FBI?

Any statements from anyone actually in the FBI?
    I'm looking now.

PDF of FBI study http://media.washtimes.com.s3.amazon...5/04/study.pdf
    Last edited by Tillicum; 05-06-2017 at 01:39 PM.

FBI Study: Police Scared, Demoralized, Less Proactive Due to Anti-Cop Activism

The report comes at a time when the killing of police officers is conspicuous in the news. Last summer, five officers were killed in Dallas and three in Baton Rouge in the wake of the shooting death of Alton Sterling by Baton Rouge police. These were two of the most high-profile incidents; 135 law enforcement officers were killed in 2016, a 10 percent increase from the prior year and the highest total since 2011, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.

The main cause of officers' deaths was firearms-related incidents, with 64 being shot and killed, representing a a 56 percent spike from 2015. Among those shootings, 21 deaths were due to ambush-style attacks, including the deaths in Dallas and Baton Rouge. The NLEOMF said this was the highest total in more than two decades.

Who is Matthew Bertron?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    Who is Matthew Bertron?
    According to LinkedIn Supervisor at Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthew-bertron-96851211b

What is in interesting about this study is that if you google the title of the study most, if not all, of the publications reporting about it are right-leaning/conservative or law enforcement based, e.g., SIGForum, Guns.com, Young Conservatives, Righr Wing News, etc.

Going to see if I can find it on the FBI website now. Would like to see the original source.

Quote Originally Posted by LonghornSpeakEasy View Post
    What is in interesting about this study is that if you google the title of the study most, if not all, of the publications reporting about it are right-leaning/conservative or law enforcement based, e.g., SIGForum, Guns.com, Young Conservatives, Righr Wing News, etc.

Going to see if I can find it on the FBI website now. Would like to see the original source.
    This is the PDF of FBI study. http://media.washtimes.com.s3.amazon...5/04/study.pdf

I wasn't surprised that the left leaning media hasn't been putting it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tillicum View Post
    This is the PDF of FBI study. http://media.washtimes.com.s3.amazon...5/04/study.pdf

I think because it's not real.

FBI study highlights the growing trend of 'de-policing' in the wake of what happened in Ferguson, Missouri; Kristin Fisher goes in-depth for 'Special Report'

http://video.foxnews.com/v/542362613...#sp=show-clips

FBI study highlights the growing trend of 'de-policing' in the wake of what happened in Ferguson, Missouri; Kristin Fisher goes in-depth for 'Special Report'

http://video.foxnews.com/v/542362613...#sp=show-clips
    I predict you will be mocked for your Fox News link and told to produce a "better one" in 3 ... 2 ... 1

I'm not ready to say it's not real but I can't find it anywhere on the FBI site, either under press releases, reports, or studies. Not saying it's not there - just that I couldn't find it. Maybe a better sleuther can find it and post a link.

And , as I said in my prior link, it only seems to be reported by conservative-leaning websites as far as I can tell.

I actually believe much of what is in the report and tend to support LEO unless there is evidence to the contrary such as the recent incident in Balch Sorings, Tx. I have more of a concern as to my inability to verify the report. I think it is important to research beyond the headlines and the memes and to verify everything we read is true. Making judgments using invalid or erroneous information gives us invalid and erroneous judgments.

I am surprised that they ceased to use the data in the end of the report.

Specifically, in the increase of drug/drug induced psychosis cases linked to the increase in the violence. In this paper, the data should be included as the Turnstile Justice section links drugs to de-criminalization, reduced narcotics offenses, but then states that maybe this may lead to the belief that lighter sentences and "consequences no longer exist..." and links to non compliance. I am not sure how they would make that link so the percentage data would be good to see. If we look at the rise of meth-induced attacks on families and children, it could be assumed that this behavior would be also directed at communities.

I am unsure, as I read the end of the paper, that this paper is a scientific study given that discussion with law enforcement command staff and officers id'd common threads as the conclusion. There is so much other data that is highlighted earlier but does not make it into the conclusion, such as the encounters happening when the assailant was in a drug induced state. I would think that would be a major contributing factor. I wish they published the numbers.

The only thing I can think of is that is a paper that would be used to seek support for more rigorous study of the issue of drugs/alcohol in relation to decreasing consequences and failure to comply.
    Last edited by kaen; 05-07-2017 at 11:09 AM.

This kind of research is fondly called "squishy" science, by those who have a more "hard science" scientific approach to research. (And this is not even a formal write up of the study, merely a summary REPORT of the study for distribution.) Within the humanities, arts, and social sciences, this kind of study, a qualitative study, is often the "only" possible method of research. So if one is to eschew this kind of study as "non-scientific", then all forms of qualitative research must also be eschewed. (Like that's gonna happen any time soon, lol!)

This report is, in all likelihood, not quantitative research, but qualitative research ( better known colloquially as "survey research".)This agency is under no obligation to publish their full research methodology unless they want to. But I'm equally confident that if they did publish it, this study would look remarkably like every other retrospective qualitative survey research study I've ever read. (And the public might be even more confused.)

However this survey was conducted, it was qualitative in origin related to the perceptions of LEOs. The "hard" objective data is a variable, not part of the results. For example, the number of how many assailants were under the influence of drugs/ alcohol is a variable as it pertains to impressions, opinions, and feelings of the police officers who were surveyed. The opinions, impressions, and feelings of the police officers are the RESULTS of the study. The study was designed that way from it's inception. This is why many people have a hard time with qualitative research being categorized as "scientific"-- you can easily construct a survey of a group about their feelings about "something", with pretty much foregone conclusions about what the "results" will be, simply by choosing your study population.

To give another example that might be easier to understand, if you conducted a survey about attitudes toward gay marriage, and then only sampled people who were openly gay, you could be pretty much assured that your outcomes would support gay marriage. You would have to be very careful to state in your hypothesis that one of the limitations of the study is that only gay people were surveyed, and not draw or suggest conclusions that were not supported by the evidence you collected. (Which, IMO, is the biggest pitfall of qualitative research-- that it draws inappropriately broad conclusions from an extremely limited amount of data, and that is then used to make other far reaching recommendations or used to prop up bad laws or policies.)

Here is a brief discussion of qualitative vs quantitative research.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/qua...ntitative.html

And some information about the FBI Office of Partner Engagement, what their role is, and what they do:

https://www.fbi.gov/about/partnershi...ner-engagement
    Last edited by K_Z; 05-07-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast