635 users online (77 members and 558 guests)  

Websleuths News

Education: critical thinking should be compulsory

Philosophy and ethics too. Starting in kindergarten!

Learn how to think, how to ask questions, how to have doubts, and how to figure things out for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    Philosophy and ethics too. Starting in kindergarten!

Learn how to think, how to ask questions, how to have doubts, and how to figure things out for yourself.
    I agree. But as far as I can tell, after working in the public school system, that is the Opposite of what we teach students these days.

We don't even allow the teachers to 'think' and ask questions. They are given precise, exact instructions and lesson plans and not allowed to teach from their hearts. It is all scripted and mass produced and designed to 'teach to the tests.'
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    I agree. But as far as I can tell, after working in the public school system, that is the Opposite of what we teach students these days.

We don't even allow the teachers to 'think' and ask questions. They are given precise, exact instructions and lesson plans and not allowed to teach from their hearts. It is all scripted and mass produced and designed to 'teach to the tests.'
    Unfortunately, I do not doubt a word you have written here. How utterly wrong! We are creating a generation of robots.

Apparently a lot of adults have escaped formal education without learning critical thinking skills. It's nothing new.

Started with No Child Left Behind, Pearson Learning has made tons of money off of tests and learning materials.

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    Started with No Child Left Behind, Pearson Learning has made tons of money off of tests and learning materials.
    I'm pre-NCLB and know people my age who have no critical thinking skills.

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    For anyone who might not be familiar: Bloom's Taxonomy of Learning Domains

http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/bloom.html

Quote Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
    For anyone who might not be familiar: Bloom's Taxonomy of Learning Domains

http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/bloom.html
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    NCLB was the third installment of more federal control of education. The first installment was in the late-80's, from what I've read.

Justice for Abigail Williams and Liberty German

Justice for Brittanee Drexel

Justice for all child and juvenile victims of monsters

Quote Originally Posted by Falling Down View Post
    NCLB was the third installment of more federal control of education. The first installment was in the late-80's, from what I've read.
    Could be. But Pearson Learning makes the tests. Provides curriculum. Provides bulletin board materials. A real racket

There is a plus to some kind of national curriculum as kids move around and schools are at randomly different places.

But, the curriculum has to be relevant to make sense. Talking about mountain life in Iowa would not make sense