1038 users online (156 members and 882 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

2017.05.04 - Trump's Fitness to Serve is officially part of discussion in Congress

Well, thank God. But probably will serve no purpose in getting King George III and his crazy arse impeached. Sadly.

I still find it jaw-dropping that he gained entrance to the White House in the first place.

How could anyone NOT see the trainwreck that is Trump? Like anyone is saying "WOW! I did NOT see THIS coming!" "He seemed so educated and thoughtful BEFORE."

Just, GAH.

Interesting stuff.

And so you have this really fierce debate going on right now in the psychiatric community, in the mental health community, about whether or not it's appropriate to be talking about Donald Trump's mental health. But what you hear from the people, like the 35 mental health professionals who wrote to The New York Times, is that they believe that above and beyond the Goldwater Rule that they have a more urgent ethical commitment. And that's what's known as the duty to warn. What that means is that if they in their practice come to believe that somebody, either a patient or somebody that they've encountered, poses an urgent risk to others, to the public, well, they have a responsibility to talk about that.

And that goes beyond their other commitments because they have to protect the public. And so what they say is that they believe that Donald Trump, because he is so impulsive and so sensitive to criticism and is now in possession of such extraordinary power, both in national security terms and in legal terms, they're concerned that he could use that either in national security to start a war or in some ways to harm Americans. And that's why thousands of them have come forward. And for that, we are really in an unusual territory because that doesn't - we haven't seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    Interesting stuff.
    I agree, very interesting. As a mental health professional, I have been concerned about his mental health from day one, too. Of course it is impossible and unethical to diagnose without official assessment but his characteristics and public words definitely point to at least one diagnosis.

This election didn't come down to political party for me- it was more about competence. Trump has continually demonstrated his incompetence since inaguration and even more strongly pointing to mental health instability.

Not to mention the embarrassment he has created for our country. I find myself wanting to close articles and turn off the TV when he speaks out of sheer embarrassment not only for our country but for him and his family, too.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Give them all MMPI assessments.....all of them!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

Quote Originally Posted by ATasteOfHoney View Post
    Give them all MMPI assessments.....all of them!
    Yes, please do. Harry Reid has needed mental health evaluation for quite awhile. Maxine W should be right behind him...
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Should have done it for Obama.

Worst. President. Evah.

More from Osnos:

Is Political Hubris an Illness?

President Donald Trump, in the months since he entered the White House, has become a kind of international case study of mental health’s role in politics. To his friends and allies, he elicits an array of anodyne, even appealing, adjectives: unpredictable, fearless, irascible, sly. Many of his counterparts in diplomacy, and in American politics, are rapidly shedding the euphemisms that they once used to express their appraisals, however.

When Trump, after a confused viewing of a Fox News segment, urged people at a rally to look at “what’s happening last night in Sweden. Sweden, who would believe this?,” suggesting that an incident—which no one could identify; nothing notable had happened the night before—had something to do with Sweden being overrun by refugees, Swedes reached a judgment. “They thought the man had gone bananas,” Carl Bildt, Sweden’s former Prime Minister and foreign minister, told Susan Glasser, of Politico, in an interview published this week. “It was a somewhat unsettling thing to see the president of the United States without any factual basis whatsoever lunge out against a small country in the way that he did.”

Though politicians often accuse each other of being crazy, Trump has inspired a more clinical and sober discussion. (In the magazine this week, I write about proposals in Congress to assess the President’s mental health.) In recent days, the discussion of Trump’s stability has entered a blunter phase. Over the weekend, Trump made a series of bizarre comments, including questioning the history of the Civil War, saying he was “looking at” breaking up banks (prompting a stock-market slide), and demonstrating unfamiliarity with basics of the health-care bill known as Trumpcare.

The Presidential historian Douglas Brinkley told an interviewer that it was “among the most bizarre recent twenty-four hours in American Presidential history,” adding, “It was all just surreal disarray and a confused mental state from the President.” Joe Scarborough, the former Republican congressman, told his television audience, “My mother’s had dementia for ten years. . . . That sounds like the sort of thing my mother would say today.”
    “Watch him very carefully. It’s a phenomenon that needs to be analyzed, but it will not be very revealing to put labels on it that are inappropriate just because you desperately want to say, ‘He’s crazy.’ ”

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenista View Post
    Should have done it for Obama.

Worst. President. Evah.
    We aren't debating political affiliation or policy. Strictly talking about mental competence. There is about 0 comparison between Obama and Trump when it comes to mental health and overall intelligence. I didn't think that was even debatable.

That does not mean you have to believe all of Obama's policies were effective or that all of Trump's policies are ineffective.

I must be crazy too because I saw news reports & YouTube videos re: Sweden and how th women were afraid to go out at night. Additionally, the Swedish women didn't want to report it as it would cause havoc of the Swedish pride in inclusivity & righteousness in their liberal humanitarian perfect society (or something to that effect).

Point being, we all get our info from various sources. Their is no "pure" source so therefore, unless we see something firsthand--then we really don't know. And even if we see something firsthand, we must question what we see & analyze it from many angles.
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

Quote Originally Posted by Momma2cam View Post
    We aren't debating political affiliation or policy. Strictly talking about mental competence. There is about 0 comparison between Obama and Trump when it comes to mental health and overall intelligence. I didn't think that was even debatable.

That does not mean you have to believe all of Obama's policies were effective or that all of Trump's policies are ineffective.

Yes, I'm talking about the same.

From How Trump Could Get Fired, also by Osnos:

In the months since Trump took office, several members of Congress have cited concern about his mental health as a reason to change the law. In early April, Representative Jamie Raskin, a Maryland Democrat and a professor of constitutional law at American University, and twenty co-sponsors introduced a bill that would expand the authority of medical personnel and former senior officials to assess the mental fitness of a President.

The bill has no chance of coming up for a vote anytime soon, but its sponsors believe that they have a constitutional duty to convene a body to assess Trump’s health. Representative Earl Blumenauer, of Oregon, introduced a similar bill, which would also give former Presidents and Vice-Presidents a voice in evaluating a President’s mental stability.

Of Trump, he said, “The serial repetition of proven falsehoods—Is this an act? Is this a tactic? Is he just wired weird? It raises the question in my mind about the nature of Presidential disability.”
    As an example of “pathological inattention,” Tribe noted that, on April 11th, days after North Korea launched a missile, Trump described an aircraft carrier, the U.S.S. Carl Vinson, as part of an “armada” advancing on North Korea, even though the ship was sailing away from North Korea at the time. Moreover, Tribe said, Trump’s language borders on incapacity.

Asked recently why he reversed a pledge to brand China a currency manipulator, Trump said, of President Xi Jinping, “No. 1, he’s not, since my time. You know, very specific formula. You would think it’s like generalities, it’s not. They have—they’ve actually—their currency’s gone up. So it’s a very, very specific formula.”

Lawrence C. Mohr, who became a White House physician in 1987 and remained in the job until 1993, came to believe that Presidential disability must be understood to encompass “very subtle manifestations” that might impair the President’s capacity to do the job.

A President should be evaluated for “alertness, cognitive function, judgment, appropriate behavior, the ability to choose among options and the ability to communicate clearly,” Mohr told a researcher in 2010. “If any of these are impaired, it is my opinion that the powers of the President should be transferred to the Vice-President until the impairment resolves.”
    A President should be evaluated for “alertness, cognitive function, judgment, appropriate behavior, the ability to choose among options and the ability to communicate clearly."

I'm also concerned about the mental health of his supporters.

Shouldn't they evaluate all of the candidates running for Presidency? You know, it's all about that "fair" thingy. Otherwise, it just seems like sour grapes.

Quote Originally Posted by ATasteOfHoney View Post
    Shouldn't they evaluate all of the candidates running for Presidency? You know, it's all about that "fair" thingy. Otherwise, it just seems like sour grapes.
    He's the President now. All by himself. And his bizarre behavior has gotten a lot of attention.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast