1195 users online (230 members and 965 guests)  

Websleuths News

How to repair a broken quote or broken link in your post

Please note: Once you publish a post, you'll have only a limited amount of time to edit it. Once the timer has expired, you will need mod assistance to make any changes.

A broken quote often looks something like this:

[QUOTE=LoisLane;13084792]Possibly surveillance where he may have made a purchase before the crime?[/QUOTE

Instead of like this:

Quote Originally Posted by LoisLane View Post
    Possibly surveillance where he may have made a purchase before the crime?
    If quoting another member's post, the opening tag will look like [QUOTE=LoisLane;13084792], which includes coding that takes you back to LoisLane's original post when you click the little black box next to her name.

If the quote is an excerpt from a news article, however, the opening tag would simply be the word QUOTE in brackets. For example:

[QUOTE]Police are asking for the public's help to find a missing St. Augustine woman last seen at the Giggle Gator last Friday around 2:45 a.m./QUOTE]

The closing tag at the end of the quote includes a forward slash with the word QUOTE in brackets. In the two examples above, each closing tag is missing a bracket.

If you have a broken link in your post, click the edit button and study your opening and closing tags. There may be more than just a bracket missing; the entire tag may have been accidentally deleted. Replace whatever is missing, add a reason for editing if you wish, and click the Save button.

Repairing a broken link is a similar procedure; only the tags are different. The opening tag would have URL in brackets and the closing tag at the end of your link would be [/URL].

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

thanks, I have been having this a lot and I haven't done anything different. I think it may be an issue with my work PC.