Tuesday Strike Shuts Down NYC Transit System

It started yesterday with two private bus lines, now there are 30,000 transit workers on strike :eek: And right here before Christmas! I hope they settle everything soon, alot people depend on the transit as transportation!

I live in Manhattan, and today is a nightmare!
It is SO cold out, and everyone is out walking in the freezing cold.

I, myself, am losing a lot of money, since my work is affected by this.
Restaurants and almost every business in NYC in suffering.

The transit workers have committed an ILLEGAL act, and I hope this
strike ends SOON.

Tristan said:
I live in Manhattan, and today is a nightmare!
It is SO cold out, and everyone is out walking in the freezing cold.

I, myself, am losing a lot of money, since my work is affected by this.
Restaurants and almost every business in NYC in suffering.

The transit workers have committed an ILLEGAL act, and I hope this
strike ends SOON.
Yes they have.......MSNBC Breaking News

Judge fines NYC transit union $1 million a day

Action comes after mayor blasts walkout as ‘selfish and illegal’

Court Fines NYC Transit Strikers $1M a Day NEW YORK - The city's subway and bus workers went on strike Tuesday for the first time in more than 25 years, stranding millions of commuters, holiday shoppers and tourists at the height of the Christmas rush. A judge promptly slapped a $1 million-a-day fine on the union.

More at the link...

Judge hits union with $1 million-a-day fineA Brooklyn judge slapped the transit workers union with a $1 million a day fine, as a mediation session aimed at stopping the walkout is slated for this afternoon.

State Supreme Court Justice Theodore Jones penalized the Transport Workers Union for violating the Taylor Law, which prohibits state and city employees from striking. Attorneys for the city and state had asked Jones to hit the union with a "very potent fine" for ignoring the law.

"This is a very, very sad day in the history of labor relations for New York City," Jones said in imposing the fine. The union vowed to immediately appeal, calling it an excessive fine.

He called it "an ultimate breakdown" in the labor bargaining process. He said it was "very unfortunate and disappointing" when the union violates a law to further a bargaining process.

More: http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/nyc-stri1220,0,4802579.story

personal opinion: good story

An arrest warrant and contempt of court papers have been drawn up for Roger Toussaint the union president but he's no where to be found. Remember, Toussaint kept the Westchester County Bee Line buses on strike for 57 days 9 months ago. I don't think this is about the TWU I think its all about Roger Toussaint. JMO

Nancy

To NK57...I totally agree. He is very stubborn, and as Mayor Bloomberg said, NO union gets exactly what they ask for....it's called a compromise.

This guy is asking for too much, ans is unwilling to budge.

To do this at the height of the Holiday Season is horrible.

I really came to the realization last March that Roger Toussaint is all about Roger Toussaint. He doesn't give a rats A$$ about the members. When all was said and done after the Bee line strike, the drivers held a vote of no confidence against Toussaint and went back to work. They took their 3 percent raise, retirement at 60 and a minor increase to their health benefits. One of my bus drivers laughed and told me that Toussaint was having a birthday banquet at a country club in Mt. Vernon. He told guests what gifts they were to bring to him.. He's got the "little king" complex.

Nancy

It's terrrible, this threatens the lives and livelihood of so many people. I saw on TV they want retirement at 55, pension and health insurance without having to pay anything.

Well, yeah, that would be nice, wouldn't it? Couldn't they have brought in some Federal Arbitrators before this happened?

This is terrible. I mean, we're not talking about some small town. This a large city that depends upon the transit system. People were stranded for hours in the cold. Where I live, we just drive to where we need to go. But many people in NY don't have cars. Too expensive there to park, own a car, etc. They rely on that system. And it's not the people's faults. They have to get to their jobs and some really need the little money they make to pay their bills, keep their kids warm, put food on the table. Maybe they were heading out to wait tables and get tips so they could pay for formula or things like that.

Maybe people needed to get to hospitals to get their cancer treatments.
There were 7 million people stranded without transportation all because of the selfishness of the union.

That, to me, is spiteful and terrible.
It's a shame.

Even if you have a car, as I do, driving it in Manhattan during a transit strike is close to impossible.
It will take 1-2 hours to make a trip that ordinarily takes 15-20 minutes.
Utterly ridiculous.

I have a feeling that the strike will last till Monday...posssibly longer.
I SO hope I'm wrong.

Anyone else have any predictions as to how long it might last??

Hopefully this union leader will come to his senses. It sounds like he has an ego problem.

Schools had to open late, people can't get to work or get home, they don't have the money to pay cab fare for commuting. And the reason for this sounds like they want their cushy jobs to be even cushier.
They are causing old people to have to walk in the freezing weather due to being stranded. This is the biggest blunder and dumbest idea for a strike I have ever heard of.
Unions were supposed to be for fair wages and working conditions. Now they are more like hired underhanded attorneys out for pay hikes.

Marthatex said:
It's terrrible, this threatens the lives and livelihood of so many people. I saw on TV they want retirement at 55, pension and health insurance without having to pay anything.

Well, yeah, that would be nice, wouldn't it? Couldn't they have brought in some Federal Arbitrators before this happened?
I agree. When my husband and I heard this last night, we just looked at each other and rolled our eyes. If they get these, I might just move to NYC and apply for a job with them. Then again, I sure like having a place where the only problems I encounter trying to get from here to there are tractors or elderly drivers going 10 mph.

JMHO

Toussaint just made a speech and he blasted Mayor Bloomberg for calling the Union "selfish" and "greedy". He said something to the effect of: "It's pretty funny that a BILLIONAIRE is calling US "greedy".

I am by no means a fan of Mayor Bloomberg, but Toussaint is being ridiculously pig headed about this.

I want to move to the country!!!!

Marthatex said:

Well, yeah, that would be nice, wouldn't it?

Yep, the union leaders need a little bit of reality shoved up their *#(@*$#

They "want." Well, they can want, but in this day and age, that's a rare find. In the meantime, I bet there's many of the workers that would like to return to work. Do they realize how long it would take them to make up all the lost wages for each day they are striking? OR>>>>> are they like other unions that pay $ out of the union's kitty for picketing?! I haven't read anything about that yet....

I REALLLLLY don't like it when they hold cities/independent business owners, and joe-general employees trying to make a living, basically hostage. They're impacting MILLIONS of lives and MILLIONS of $$$ of people who are not party to their bickering over a contract. Heck, I don't live there, am not affected, but I'm mad as he** over it. What a awful thing to be doing right now.

JMHO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Lee
Back