GUILTY CA - Nicolas, 83, & Emilia Casas, 73, murdered, Santa Ana, 29 Dec 2004

TheShadow

Reaction score
"SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) - A year-old double homicide was solved by matching DNA evidence left at the crime scene with samples in a state database that contains genetic material from convicted felons, authorities said.":clap:

http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/story/13999645p-14833221c.html

""In 1997, one case was solved through this kind of DNA hit, and then it was two in 1998, and then it was four, eight, 10, and I think this year we're hitting over 50," Rackauckas said"

Let's hear it for mandatory DNA testing for felony perps!!!! So glad I voted for the database here in CA.:clap:

It's a great thing. I would like to see all 50 states with a DNA database, but I would go even further. I would like to see DNA collected with every arrest. Sometimes these perps have a string of lesser convictions before they commit rape or murder. With their DNA already in the database when they are caught for lesser crimes, it would be even more likely to be in the database to match and find the perp.

I hope that makes sense.

SewingDeb said:
It's a great thing. I would like to see all 50 states with a DNA database, but I would go even further. I would like to see DNA collected with every arrest. Sometimes these perps have a string of lesser convictions before they commit rape or murder. With their DNA already in the database when they are caught for lesser crimes, it would be even more likely to be in the database to match and find the perp.

I hope that makes sense.
I TOTALLY agree.....this would do soooo much in helping to fight crime and arrest perps.

SewingDeb said:

I hope that makes sense.
I agree.

From August 2009:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/casas-168442-martinez-year.html

Carlos Martinez, 34, convicted of two counts of first-degree murder for the slayings of Nicolas Casas, 83, and his wife Emilia Casas, 73, had no comment moments later before Superior Court Judge William R. Froeberg handed down a death sentence...

Nicolas Casas was stabbed 25 times with a steak knife during the brutal attack on Dec. 29, 2004. Deputy District Attorney Ebrahim Baytieh argued that Casas tried desperately to save his wife of 55 years, but his age and infirmities prevented him from overcoming his much-younger assailant. Emilia Casas, too, put up a fight as she was being stabbed 35 to 40 times, Baytieh said.

The couple was in the process of selling the home they had lived in since 1969... Martinez gained entrance to their house by pretending to be a prospective buyer, Baytieh contended.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back