MO - James 'Jim' Cavanaugh, 67, killed by fleeing thief, Kansas City, 19 May 2017

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Kansas City Star:

Owner of Clint’s Comics reportedly killed after trying to stop thief

A longtime midtown Kansas City business icon died Friday afternoon after he was critically injured following a robbery at a historic comic book store on Main Street.

Authorities have not released the victim’s name, but relatives, employees and friends identified the victim as James Dale Cavanaugh, the longtime owner of Clint’s Comics.

Police are investigating the death as a homicide. It appeared the victim was struck by the door of the vehicle driven by the thief. Police said the victim was trying to stop the robber, who had just held up the comic book store on Main Street.
---
much more at the link

His shop was always a stopover when, when younger, I'd visit a pal in KC.

Since last Saturday was Free Comic Book Day, there could be a possible perp casing the place out if there is a camera.

I'm a bit surprised there's been no arrest as the location of the crime is on busy streets.

Me too, wfgodot. They have his vehicle on camera, witnesses, and a detailed description. Also, the witnesses supposedly threw a hammer at the fleeing vehicle, perhaps denting the front. I'm surprised the person hasn't been identified yet.

It surprises me that the alleged perp spoke to the witnesses on the way in to the store. But some people who were working next door outside behind Blind Tiger said he said "hello" to them on his way in. On his way out, they said, he looked nervous and was carrying a stack of about $20 worth of comics. Very strange, I think, although I'm not a shoplifter so I don't know if they normally say "hi" to strangers on their way to shoplift.

Incredible -- still no arrests. The fix may be in?

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article150879222.html
Jim Cavanaugh, a local comic book fixture in Kansas City, was killed Friday as he tried to stop a robbery.
Clint`s Comics is located near 39th and Main Street and recently celebrated its 50th anniversary in Kansas City. Someone robbed the comic book store a little before 1 p.m. Friday. Store owner Jim Cavanaugh ran out the back after the thief and confronted the person as they got into their car. The robber tried to sped speed away and knocked Cavanaugh to the ground causing him to hit his head on the pavement. Cavanaugh didn’t survive.
Video shows what appears to be a white hatchback speeding away from behind the store near 39th and Main.
Police are still searching for that robber who sped away causing his death.
If you have any information on who that driver could be contact the Greater KC Crime Stoppers TIPS Hotline.

-- Still nothing new and that is devastating. His shop was always a place I would frequent.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unimog
Back