GUILTY TX - Jordan Edwards, 15, fatally shot by Balch Springs PD officer, 29 April 2017 *guilty and civil trial $21.6M

DatelineFan

Reaction score
April 29, 2017 - Jordan Edwards, 15, and an unarmed Black teen, was leaving a party with his brothers and friends, when former officer, Roy Oliver, shot him with a rifle.

9e0885ea10dfdef0409b77d04b9dff8e.jpg

(using multiple news sources so no bias)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/05/0...issued-for-texas-officer-who-killed-teen.html

Edwards and his two brothers and two other teenagers were leaving an unruly house party in Balch Springs when Oliver opened fire on their car with a rifle. The bullets shattered the front passenger-side window and struck Edwards. It took a few moments for Edwards' 16-year-old brother, who was driving, and other passengers to notice that he was slumped over in his seat.

Police had said the teenagers' car was backing up toward officers "in an aggressive manner," but later said body camera video showed the vehicle actually driving away from the officers.

The personnel records also included periodic evaluations that noted at least one instance when Oliver was reprimanded for being "disrespectful to a civilian on a call." That evaluation, dated Jan. 27, 2017, called the reprimand an isolated incident and urged Oliver to be mindful of his leadership role in the department.

The complaint from the prosecutor's office said the office had a hard time getting Oliver to attend the trial, he was angry he had to be there, he used vulgar language that caused an assistant district attorney to send a female intern out of the room, and he used profanity during his testimony.

"In an email from one of the prosecutors he states you were a `scary person to have in our workroom,"' then-Balch Springs Police Chief Ed Morris wrote in the suspension findings.

[video=cnn;justice/2017/05/02/texas-teen-shot-police-chief-retract-statement.hln]http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/02/us/jordan-edwards-shooting-trnd/index.html[/video]

Jordan Edwards was a freshman at Mesquite High School, near his home in Balch Springs, Texas, a suburb of Dallas. He had good grades and played quarterback and receiver on the football team.

Head coach Jeff Fleener, who would have coached the teenager next year, said Jordan had an incredible effect on his teammates.

"He was an amazing young man that had a way to make everyone around him feel better," Fleener*wrote on Twitter. "He had such an impact on all of us and we refuse to let anyone tarnish that."

"We've heard excuses before in the past: You know why it happens, because the dads aren't present. That excuse isn't here," Merritt said. "Or the kid was violent. That excuse isn't present here."

Merritt said that neither Jordan nor any of the other teens in the car had criminal records and no evidence had so far been presented by police that they were trying to hurt anyone.

I can't believe Oliver murdered this child! I'm so glad the cameras caught him in his lie. These kids were wisely leaving the party. IMO, they did not want to be part of any trouble.

This breaks my heart and makes me so angry!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...rder-jordan-edwards-killing-article-1.3140714

The family says the shooting has scarred Jordan’s brothers, who were with him when he died.

“When they dream, they see Jordan, with smoke coming out of his head from the shot. That’s what they were forced to see,” Charmaine Edwards told the Daily News Thursday.

Absolutely heartbreaking. This was completely unnecessary, and Roy Oliver is NOT representative of the police force as a whole. I really hope he's convicted. This is WRONG.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Thinking about Jordan's family today, and every day. Hoping justice is served.

Bump.

Justice for Jordan!!!

Texas cop fired for shooting Jordan Edwards was once suspended because prosecutors said he was a ‘scary person’

Roy Oliver, the white suburban Dallas cop fired for fatally shooting a black teenager, was once suspended after prosecutors complained about how he acted as a witness.

The Balch Springs Police Department suspended Oliver for 16 hours in December 2013 following the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office filing its complaint, according to personnel records obtained by The Associated Press.

Before moving to Balch Springs, Oliver was a cop in Dalworthington Gardens, an Arlington suburb, where he was previously a dispatcher and public works employee from 1999 to 2004, according to the department.

A statement from the Dalworthington Gardens Police Department said Oliver didn’t have any past disciplinary actions.

Oliver also served in the U.S. Army and did two tours in Iraq, rising to sergeant. He was also in the Texas National Guard reserves.

It breaks my heart that Jordan's life and tragic death aren't really recognized here.

It breaks my heart that Jordan's life and tragic death aren't really recognized here.

I've started threads about police shootings that got no attention too, and it broke my heart. There's one I can't even go back and check (not the thread, not for updates) because it's more than I can take. A man was shot - a mother lost her son - and everyone just went on about their way.

:(

It baffles me. I don't understand. We can all acknowledge when a daycare provider, medical provider, or a teacher is clearly in the wrong, and shouldn't have been in their chosen field. We can call it out and talk about how they got there when they clearly shouldn't have. We even say it about parents. So why is it so hard to admit that a police officer was not fit for his or her position, and shouldn't have been there in the first place? Why can't we want justice if a police officer is wrong? IMO, every profession has individuals who are not fit to do their jobs. Law enforcement is not exempt from this. I can support law enforcement, while being upset that one of them murdered an innocent child.

If Jordan's mom had shot him through the window with a rifle, this thread would be blowing up!

I've started threads about police shootings that got no attention too, and it broke my heart. There's one I can't even go back and check (not the thread, not for updates) because it's more than I can take. A man was shot - a mother lost her son - and everyone just went on about their way.

I meant to quote you above.

I just read this article from Fox News http://www.fox4news.com/news/255045710-story

"Two weeks after a now-fired Balch Springs police officer shot and killed a 15-year old boy, the police chief is investigating who leaked video of another incident involving his officers.

The leaked body cam video is from an April 28, 2016 incident that shows a white Balch Springs officer using a taser on a handcuffed black man."

Apparently this department has had some issues in the past.

Balch Springs Police Chief Jonathan Haber says he's concerned about the timing of the video leak and how it might affect the perception of his officers

Oh, I think it might be too late for that Chief.

I remember when Trayvon Martin was murdered, the thread here was SO upsetting to me. I really could not believe the racism, so I stopped reading. I did not look at the other threads which opened after each subsequent shooting ( Walter Scott, Philandro Castile, Sandra Bland ( even though she wasn't shot) etc).
I just got so tired of the excuses and inhumanity. Because who knew that at some point in this country, crimes such as shoplifting, traffic violations, petty theft, and verbal assault were punishable by death? Or no crime at all, apparently just being black is enough.
I do care, I just have a difficult time commenting without going all bat-s$!# crazy. :(

I remember when Trayvon Martin was murdered, the thread here was SO upsetting to me. I really could not believe the racism, so I stopped reading. I did not look at the other threads which opened after each subsequent shooting ( Walter Scott, Philandro Castile, Sandra Bland ( even though she wasn't shot) etc).
I just got so tired of the excuses and inhumanity. Because who knew that at some point in this country, crimes such as shoplifting, traffic violations, petty theft, and verbal assault were punishable by death? Or no crime at all, apparently just being black is enough.
I do care, I just have a difficult time commenting without going all bat-s$!# crazy. :(
I totally understand. I get panic attacks when I read some of the blatant racism. We have due process in this country. And while I don't think it's productive, respectful, or tasteful to cuss at anyone, including police, it's not a reason to kill someone. It's also not illegal.

This is the one that did me in:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ichael-Noel-mentally-ill-man-killed-by-deputy

Not sure why, and I started and participated in a few threads after his death but for some reason his case broke my heart. No one cared, no marches, no demands for justice, racist and hateful comments (everywhere), and in the end it was just "Oh well, another crazy black man got shot. Move it along. Nothing to see here."

What a handsome young man! I did see the news stories about this senseless shooting. Such promise cut short.

Has the officer had a mental health evaluation? It seems as if his behavior was escalating from the previous incidents, and this tragedy is the end result. Just so difficult to believe this keeps happening, & for no real reason at all.

Not new but don't see it here.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...ngs-officer-in-jordan-edwards-slaying-9439542

Murder Warrant Issued for Balch Springs Officer in Jordan Edwards' Shooting

Update May 8: Oliver turned himself into Parker County Jail Friday night. Edwards' father, Odell, filed a federal excessive force lawsuit against Oliver and the Balch Springs Police Department Friday.

(He was later released on bond.)

Judge: Mother of Teen Killed By Balch Springs Police Officer May Join Suit

U.S. District Judge Barbara Lynn ruled Monday that Shaunkeyia Stephens may join the lawsuit filed by Odell Edwards on behalf of the estate of Jordan Edwards. The lawsuit alleges that the Balch Springs Police Department and city officials improperly trained the officer who shot the boy and should have noticed a pattern of escalating encounters with the public.

Kobe Bryant Sends Birthday Present To Brother Of Jordan Edwards

The NBA great gifted Kevon Edwards, who turned 17 one day after his younger brother was laid to rest, with autographed jerseys and a couple pairs of his signature sneakers.

Bryant also called him and added a special message for the birthday boy: “To Kevon, Do epic things! God bless. Much love!”

[video=twitter;864257636178550784]https://twitter.com/MeritLaw/status/864257636178550784[/video]

That's so kind of Kobe! I just really hate this case. Jordan had such a promising future and it was stolen from someone who had sworn to protect and serve.

I'm so impressed by Kobe's actions I don't even care he was referred to as GOAT.

But yes, I hate this case too. It's heartbreaking. No amount of retraining the police, punishment, justice, or financial settlement is going to bring Jordan back. :(

Former officer charged with Jordan Edwards' murder being investigated again

Former officer Roy Oliver is accused of pulling his gun out on a woman when they got into a fender bender back in April.

Cop who killed Jordan Edwards to face Dallas grand jury in unrelated case involving gun

Monique Arredondo previously told The Dallas Morning News that Oliver pointed a gun at her after she rear-ended his truck along South Cockrell Hill Road in Dallas in April. Oliver was off duty and not in uniform at the time.

Oliver was not arrested. The case was referred to the grand jury.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back