761 users online (139 members and 622 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

2017.05.12 - Harvard grads organize separate commencement for black students

Student organizers of the “Black Commencement 2017” said it is the first university-wide graduation ceremony for black students and is designed to celebrate their achievements and struggles at an elite institution with historic ties to slavery, the Boston Globe reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/05/12...-students.html
    It's my opinion if no link provided.

Misspellings due to fat fingers

Words matter.

You don't know what you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    Student organizers of the “Black Commencement 2017” said it is the first university-wide graduation ceremony for black students and is designed to celebrate their achievements and struggles at an elite institution with historic ties to slavery, the Boston Globe reported.

I think this is excellent. Graduating with a graduate degree from Harvard is incredibly challenging for anyone and especially so for blacks. This is a way to acknowledge the struggle while supporting each other in being successful in the face of adversity.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59...b050bdca5f702d

“This is an opportunity to celebrate Harvard’s black excellence and black brilliance,” Huggins told The Root. “This is a chance to reaffirm for each other that we enter the work world with a network of supporters standing with us. We are all partners.”

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post

These kind of racial segregationist non-celebrations masquerading as "celebrations" are deeply discouraging, IMO. Sad and frustrating. We don't need these anymore, and haven't for more than 50 years. It's a giant step backwards, and builds the walls of race and class higher and higher. It's deeply, deeply discouraging to see these young people do this sort of thing. We don't need Congressional Black Caucauses, Associations of Hispanic Journalists, NAACP, and any other racial segregationist groups anymore. They achieved their purpose 50 years ago. Just furthers the identity segregationist political atmosphere even more-- and from young people who will be leaders (most of whom were not poor and migrating across classes at all.)

If these students didn't want to walk in the WHOLE group commencement, then that's fine. But this kind of parallel "black commencement/ convocation" as a "second" commencement is offensive, and discouraging, IMO. Sets a bad example. I respect these graduates far LESS who want this separate race-based ceremony, even if they did "extend" a faux invitation to graduates of "other" races. It's hollow and transparent, mocking and condescending.

It's in the same category as the absolutely appalling, disgusting behavior of the graduates at Bethune-Cookman, who should have been ejected from the ceremony. They were free to skip the ceremony, but not free to ruin it for everyone who wanted to be there, regardless of what they personally think about Omarosa or DeVos.

Purposeful self-segregation.........ugh!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

Quote Originally Posted by K_Z View Post
    These kind of racial segregationist non-celebrations masquerading as "celebrations" are deeply discouraging, IMO. Sad and frustrating. We don't need these anymore, and haven't for more than 50 years. It's a giant step backwards, and builds the walls of race and class higher and higher. It's deeply, deeply discouraging to see these young people do this sort of thing. We don't need Congressional Black Caucauses, Associations of Hispanic Journalists, NAACP, and any other racial segregationist groups anymore. They achieved their purpose 50 years ago. Just furthers the identity segregationist political atmosphere even more-- and from young people who will be leaders (most of whom were not poor and migrating across classes at all.)

If these students didn't want to walk in the WHOLE group commencement, then that's fine. But this kind of parallel "black commencement/ convocation" as a "second" commencement is offensive, and discouraging, IMO. Sets a bad example. I respect these graduates far LESS who want this separate race-based ceremony, even if they did "extend" a faux invitation to graduates of "other" races. It's hollow and transparent, mocking and condescending.

It's in the same category as the absolutely appalling, disgusting behavior of the graduates at Bethune-Cookman, who should have been ejected from the ceremony. They were free to skip the ceremony, but not free to ruin it for everyone who wanted to be there, regardless of what they personally think about Omarosa or DeVos.
    I'm with you on this one. If there is a separate commencement for people with black skin, there must be a separate one for every skin colour, and then other groups, such as gender neutral, will need a separate commencement, and before we know it, full blown de-unification based on colour and gender. It's simply bizarre. I have to wonder how the multi-racial skin color fits into this new model of education. What about people like Rachel Dolezal who is white to the core but pretends to be black?

Thank you so very much for this statement. It is indeed a sad day!
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    I'm with you on this one. If there is a separate commencement for people with black skin, there must be a separate one for every skin colour, and then other groups, such as gender neutral, will need a separate commencement, and before we know it, full blown de-unification based on colour and gender. It's simply bizarre. I have to wonder how the multi-racial skin color fits into this new model of education.
    I feel the same Otto. All my people ask for was clean water.
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

I agree.

Commencement is not about race. It is about academic acheivement and the celebration of those students' hard work.

While I appreciate that the path to such an acheivement (esp Harvard!) is not the same for every socioeconomic group, I don't think a university graduation ceremony is the place to address that. This should be a time of unity and shared pride.

MOO

How sad the sentiment that graduating from Harvard is especially challenging for blacks.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Where is Heather?

Quote Originally Posted by Tulessa View Post
    I feel the same Otto. All my people ask for was clean water.
    Lots of other things as well such as being able to wear native beauty at graduation, for instance. Non racist schools. Address the sexual abuse they suffered from the whites. No liquor stores preying on natives. Land rights. No mascots. On and on

Quote Originally Posted by jillycat View Post
    How sad the sentiment that graduating from Harvard is especially challenging for blacks.
    Through reading about the reasoning and history of Harvard, that's the conclusion that many have reached with good reason IMO. Not everyone has to agree.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jillycat View Post
    Why would it mot be challenging? There are issues when the ine percent goes there and flies off to the weekend home in the Bahamas, for instance. Challenging for anyone eho is not super rich

Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    I'm with you on this one. If there is a separate commencement for people with black skin, there must be a separate one for every skin colour, and then other groups, such as gender neutral, will need a separate commencement, and before we know it, full blown de-unification based on colour and gender. It's simply bizarre. I have to wonder how the multi-racial skin color fits into this new model of education. What about people like Rachel Dolezal who is white to the core but pretends to be black?
    I'm not sure how my biracial grandchildren would fit in this. I'm tired of all the confusion, sadness and rejection they feel from both sides. IMO the racial tensions during the last few years is twisting and pulling our biracial children and I loathe it.
    Last edited by Tillicum; 05-14-2017 at 12:25 PM. Reason: mispelling

Creating division when there otherwise wasn't any. I don't like this at all. Bad idea.
    "Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment" - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by CoolJ View Post
    Creating division when there otherwise wasn't any. I don't like this at all. Bad idea.
    Did,the students decide or who did?

Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast