979 users online (149 members and 830 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51
    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonymph View Post
    As a librarian and a liberal, I think the librarian's response was totally ridiculous. Every elementary library has lots of Seuss. We don't believe in banning books as a profession. Also, my mother taught me that if someone gives you a well-meant gift, you say thank you. After that you can do what you want with it.

I doubt her school or district are thrilled about the publicity.
    Yes, but it easier to just assume and accuse all libs of supporting this woman.

Really not okay with that.

Update: Turns out I do know a liberal who supports the librarian. She's young (mid-20s) and rebellious. I think her feelings are more "Who would touch anything from a Trump?" than the other issues, although she works with children in at-risk communities so it's a bit personal for her too.

That brings my personal count to something like 100 to 1.

Since there is discussion about libs and conservatives, I received a very disturbing email from a friend. She said it has been discovered that a person we know and who presents as liberal, is on the net and is on a site where she is spewing a lot of racist stuff.

It is interesting how it was found out as to who she is anonymously online. Why would someone pretend in real life to be one way, but be something else online?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    Update: Turns out I do know a liberal who supports the librarian. She's young (mid-20s) and rebellious. I think her feelings are more "Who would touch anything from a Trump?" than the other issues, although she works with children in at-risk communities so it's a bit personal for her too.

That brings my personal count to something like 100 to 1.
    You can add a half point to that from me. I can see why the librarian is freaked out because public education has been under attack for years. She has very good points about what her school has for assets and that a school with needs would be a better choice. Why give to someone that has more than enough.

However, the way she did it was not a good choice. She could have discussed some better ideas of what to do with others.

It would be a time to do some educating because it sure is needed. But not in the way that she did it.

It is funny that people are so outraged about a librarian ,but the things Trump does that are horrendous are glossed over.

Her library talk is not as offensive as Trump's locker room talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    Since there is discussion about libs and conservatives, I received a very disturbing email from a friend. She said it has been discovered that a person we know and who presents as liberal, is on the net and is on a site where she is spewing a lot of racist stuff.

It is interesting how it was found out as to who she is anonymously online. Why would someone pretend in real life to be one way, but be something else online?
    Fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiandmighty View Post
    That is how it worked when I taught. The district librarians got together and made lists. All librarians and English teachers were invited to participate.

Your experience was different than mine then...
    I'm a school librarian and I have never heard of a process like that. In a library with thousands of volumes, such an undertaking would be overwhelming!

Librarians are generally in charge of maintaining, weeding, and purchasing books--it's what we are trained for. We do take suggestions and input of course!

I love Dr. Seuss books. As a young child, I read many of them. When I graduated from college, Oh, The Places You'll Go was read (in its entirety) by the keynote speaker. When I had my own children, we enjoyed reading them together. As a recent grandmother, I've gifted them to my granddaughter & have read them to/with her.

Two of my favorite Seuss books are The Lorax and Oh, The Places You'll Go.

While I commend Melania's effort to encourage literacy, I question her choice of donated titles.

There are many award-winning books that could have been a better choice for young readers.

Ten of my favorites:

1. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

2. To Kill a Mockingbird

3. The Little Prince

4. The Giving Tree

5. The Outsiders

6. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

7. The Education of Little Tree

8. Flowers For Algernon

9. The Call of the Wild

And last, but certainly not least:

10. The Diary of Anne Frank

Reading & Literacy isn't just about memorizing & reciting words on a page, in order to pass a test. The goal of reading and literacy is to nurture the infinite potential of the human imagination, to connect the reader (whether a child or an adult) with the broader world beyond the local horizons and customs; to inspire, to inform, to reveal, as well as to entertain.
    To understand the soul of a horse is the closest we humans can come to knowing perfection.

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    ^ The Dr. Seuss books are fine for pre-K through 2nd/3rd grade, but it might have been nice to include books that are geared towards upper elementary students at Cambridgeport School that is pre-K through 5th grade.

I hope the unfortunate episode with the ungrateful librarian won't deter Mrs. Trump from gifting schools with books in the future. I'm also disappointed that this incident overshadowed the First Lady's first solo trip to Toronto. I found a couple of photos but had to check Toronto media reports for additional information about FLOTUS visit to Toronto.

Okay. Let's take it from a real person's prescriptive.

Uhh. I barely remember Seuss books as it is, but I'm old enough. I only remember eggs and bacon. Teach me what was so wrong about Seuss books.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfie View Post

Uhh. I barely remember Seuss books as it is, but I'm old enough. I only remember eggs and bacon. Teach me what was so wrong about Seuss books.
    What was so wrong about Seuss books?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfie View Post

Nothing is wrong with Dr. Seuss's books, as far as I'm concerned.

If one is going to spend money (the tax-payers' money, I might add) to donate books to public schools, one might take the time to ensure that the money is well-spent on culturally enlightening books, rather than making a donation based on (apparently) one's nostalgic experience.
    Last edited by sorrell skye; 09-30-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    To understand the soul of a horse is the closest we humans can come to knowing perfection.

Dr Seuss is a genius. "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" has been popular amongst discerning preschool students for decades, for good reason. But "I Am Not Going to Get Up Today!" is like, my anthem book.
    Unless specified otherwise and linked, my posts are simply random thoughts of mine, in no particular order, not directed at any post or poster, including but not limited to the ones directly above mine. My opinion only, yours may vary. IMO. JMO. IMHO. JMHO. MOO. Disclaimer, small print, asterisk, and etc.

It occurs to me that Meliana is trying to emulate Michelle and here in lies the difference for me- unlike her husband who is consumed with jealousy and hate for his predessor, I have read Meliana really admires Michelle who also read Dr. Seuss to kids. Also, I'm thinking of the famed Meliana speech at the RNC convention. Even if their speech writers "Michelled it up", Meliana obviously studied flotus Michelle. Her styling is traditional. Also, Meliana is tending Michelle's WH garden with the kids, carrying on her tradition. And I think that is really nice that she wants to keep it going.

Meliana is isolated, yes because she's married to a maniac who doesn't care, and because she is a foreigner, but also may never know the friendships that we see in the previous Presidents and First Ladies who all cared about and advocated for children.

This all is just some impressions but she seems to be trying to maintain some of the goodness that came before her. Heck, she might even come out of her shell a bit as she is forays into solo flotus journeys.

I am also thinking of the flak Michelle Obama got for her fabulous documentary about educating women in the world. So, flotus can't win. SAD!

Dr. Seuss is a crowd favorite, something everyone can relate to. That snark librarian only made herself and her school look bad by rejecting a gift and missing the larger picture.

-Jmo.

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51