Snatched penguin may be Christmas gift

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
LONDON (AP) -- A baby penguin believed to have been snatched from a British zoo as a quirky holiday gift is unlikely to survive until Christmas Day, his keeper warned Tuesday.

Toga, a 3-month-old Jackass penguin, was stolen Saturday from Amazon World on the Isle of Wight in southern England.

Zoo manager Kath Bright said the bird, who was taken from a compound where he lived with his parents and four other penguins, probably would die of malnutrition if not urgently returned.

"Toga is very, very vulnerable. The penguin is still being fed by his parents and we don't believe it could survive more than five days," she told The Associated Press.

"The bird has already been missing for around three days and is likely to be severely dehydrated. If he isn't returned before Thursday, he is likely to become so ill that even intensive care treatment won't save him."

The brown-and-white penguin will bite if frightened and refuses to be fed by human hand, Bright said. Toga is too young to have yet had a gender confirmed but traditionally is referred to as a male, she added.

more at link:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/12/20/britain.penguin.ap/index.html

It'd have to be a gift for a rich SOB. And the reality of penguins is fdifferent from the "cute" imagery we have in the popular culture. I worked in a zoo with pengies and the 3 most important things to remember about them are:
1) they bite. hard.
2) they stink of fish oil. not surprising, given their diets.
3) they poop a lot. and that smells like fish too.

I bet the little guy is already dead. I can't stand when people hurt animals. Stupid...STUPID! :mad:

I've never heard of a jackass penguin. I thought they were describing the person who took him :behindbar

That is so cruel.
I hope the little guy survives. He needs to be in surroundings comfortable for him, even if it is a zoo.

PrayersForMaura said:
I've never heard of a jackass penguin. I thought they were describing the person who took him :behindbar

That is so cruel.
I hope the little guy survives. He needs to be in surroundings comfortable for him, even if it is a zoo.
There are several different types of penguin: jackass, chinstrap, emperor, etc. I think the jackass has stripes and tufted "ears", an are on the smaller end of the breed. Emperors can get to be very large (the size of a child).

I was half-right, They're striped. They're the most recognizable form of pengy, though, and can handle warmer weather, as they're from South Africa.
http://www.sa-venues.com/wildlife/birds_jackass_penguin.htm

This makes me cry.

i have been lucky enough to have seen -- up close and personal -- penguins in a natural habitat in Chile. how lovely they were.

how sorry i am this little bloke will die for no reason other than greed and stupidity. :cry:

Poor little dude is probably already dead. What a terrible shame

I am afraid to tell you that they fear this little guy is dead, they recieved a telephone call saying it had died , been put in a plastic bag and left in Portsmouth dockyard....if this turns out to be the case I hope they find the people responsible and rip their testicles off........sorry got a bit carried away there :blushing:

GoldenGoose said:
I am afraid to tell you that they fear this little guy is dead, they received a telephone call saying it had died , been put in a plastic bag and left in Portsmouth dockyard....if this turns out to be the case I hope they find the people responsible and rip their testicles off........sorry got a bit carried away there :blushing:
No problem, removing them with sterile scissors will be fine!

GoldenGoose said:
I am afraid to tell you that they fear this little guy is dead, they recieved a telephone call saying it had died , been put in a plastic bag and left in Portsmouth dockyard....if this turns out to be the case I hope they find the people responsible and rip their testicles off........sorry got a bit carried away there :blushing:
Well, it had to be an inside job. Someone who works at the zoo, or knows someone who does and bribed them for access.

GoldenGoose said:
Yes, I just read a story about that. It makes me cry :(

Here it is: :(

Plight of stolen baby penguin raises global concern

London -- Police ran down leads and the Royal Navy was on alert Thursday in the search for Toga, an 18-inch-tall baby penguin stolen from an Isle of Wight zoo last weekend, creating a national soap opera rivaling Elton John's same-sex wedding for media coverage.

"We're all a bit ragged here, to say the least," said Kath Bright, manager of Amazon World Zoo Park, which has received nearly $13,000 in donations -- including $600 from the United States -- to offer as a reward for the safe return of the 9-pound South African jackass penguin.

The theft has been covered exhaustively in the British media -- and television stations as far away as Australia. Sky News, which had a grim-faced reporter live at Amazon World, showed photos of Toga throughout the day and urged anyone with information to call in.

"No questions asked," an anchor said. "We just want to get Toga back to his mum and dad."

The saga took a dark turn early Thursday following anonymous phone calls to Amazon World and to GMTV, a BBC morning television show, in which the caller said he had dumped Toga into Portsmouth harbor in a plastic bag. Bright said the calls seemed to jibe with a report the zoo received Wednesday night. A boater returning from a trip through Portsmouth harbor told a friend: "It must be cold out there, I've just seen a penguin." Bright said the friend, realizing it must have been Toga, called the zoo.

More: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/23/MNGFCGCBMO1.DTL&feed=rss.news

Maury had Jack Hanna on today, and they had some Jackass penquins. The are warm blodded animals, so they can survive outside of artic weather (I think they said they're from africa??)

I did hear them make a noise, and they do sound like a donkey (hence the name Jackass).

We saw a lot of penguins in Africa, they swim in pretty cold water, though, on the Atlantic side. The water on the Indian Ocean side is warm, though.

I am so sad for this poor baby:(

Click here: Animal Pictures Archive: Animal Photo Album

I am not sure if this will work on this site ore not, but these are "jackass penguins".
Puca

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/4562694.stm

Penguin zoo refuses to lose hope

_41136460_peng.jpg

Toga is a rare and endangered breed of penguin

A zoo is refusing to give up hope even though the search for a stolen baby penguin has so far proved fruitless.

Meanwhile, parents Oscar and Kyala seem to have moved on and are preparing to lay more eggs, says the zoo.

The couple were showing signs of nesting and had begun 'courting', said manager Kath Bright.

I hope they find Toga and he's safe. I hate to see animals suffer. Who ever took him should be torchered in the worst ways :mad:. It's so sad, poor baby:(

I hope the little penguin is ok and hopefully the person who took him will return him.. I love animals and hate to see them suffer... :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back