Oklahoma woman has 14 pound, 3 ounce baby

And I thought my 10 pound 1 ouncer was big! Poor woman.

cherylereed said:
c-section i hope.....
LOL...pulled from article: The baby was born by a scheduled cesarean section without any serious complications.

OMG! I can't imagine how uncomfortable her last month was.

I was 11 pounds 3 oz. when I was born, and my mom had me naturally...I can't imagine something that big coming out of that small of a hole. Her doctor never said one word to her about me being big, but the instructor at her birthing class said she'd have a big baby and she was right. I wonder if this lady had gestational diabetes?!

My grandfather was 14 pounds. My great had a bunch of kids but not all lived. Will never know the true story on any of it. I think diabetes played a larger part than the family realized.

most of these woman do have gestational diabetes that is not diagnosed really, i sometimes work on the labor and delivery unit and i have seen a baby that was 12 pounds and we were all holding him, we couldnt get over how big he was and so dag on cute, he looked like a mini-man, it was so funny.....

Paradise said:
I was 11 pounds 3 oz. when I was born, and my mom had me naturally...I can't imagine something that big coming out of that small of a hole. Her doctor never said one word to her about me being big, but the instructor at her birthing class said she'd have a big baby and she was right. I wonder if this lady had gestational diabetes?!

Is gestational diabetes the cause of the kids coming out like tanks ? If so why?

Thank you. I'll hang up and listen. ;)

michelle said:
most of these woman do have gestational diabetes that is not diagnosed really, i sometimes work on the labor and delivery unit and i have seen a baby that was 12 pounds and we were all holding him, we couldnt get over how big he was and so dag on cute, he looked like a mini-man, it was so funny.....
:D Mini-man. That reminds me of a few years back when I was looking at some pictures of babies who were in a college workshop with my grandson. There were girls and boys, but I was looking at the little boys thinking..."I wonder if that is what he will look like when he's old!" I mean...there were a couple of those cute little guys that I could just about picture in a geriatric chair 70 years from now...bald, toothless, grinning or grumpy...LOL!

I am glad this woman had a c-section...I can't even imagine what it must have been like for her during her last few months carrying him!! :eek: Bless her heart and best wishes to both of them.

Tricia said:
Is gestational diabetes the cause of the kids coming out like tanks ? If so why?

From webmd.com:
Diabetes in a pregnant woman can affect the developing baby throughout the pregnancy. In early pregnancy, maternal diabetes can result in birth defects and an increased rate of miscarriage. Many of the birth defects that occur affect major organs such as the brain and heart.

During the second and third trimester, maternal diabetes can lead to over-nutrition and excess growth of the baby. Having a large baby increases risks during labor and delivery. For example, large babies often require caesarean deliveries and if he or she is delivered vaginally, they are at increased risk for trauma to their shoulder.

In addition, when fetal over-nutrition occurs and hyperinsulinemia results, the baby's blood glucose can drop very low after birth, since it won't be receiving the high blood glucose from the mother.

However, with proper treatment, you can deliver a healthy baby despite having gestational diabetes.
I've also heard that if you have it during pregnancy it increases your risk for getting it later in life.

I am not diabetic but when i was pregnant and they tested me for it i had to be tested 2 times because they thought maybe i had begun to get it, well my son weighed 8pounds and 14 ounces....they did not think he would be that big, i thank God for c sections, :)

I had two. One at 8'8 and one at 8' 5. I weighed 110 pounds when I got pregnant. No diabetes at that time no clue now.

i was in labor for 16 hours then pushed for an additional 3 hours to no avail then had to have a emergency c section, he was to big!!

Tricia said:

Yes, Tricia. I had it. I think it's because the fetuses are feeding off the excess sugar why they gain so much. I was tested and was closely monitored. Had to check my blood sugars every 4 hours. Blew my blood sugars twice on McDonald's and they put me on Insulin. My daughter was born at 6lbs, 10oz, and I was only 5.5 when I was born. Both my parents are Type 2, Adult Onset Diabetes, so yes I am at future risk for Diabetes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back