AR - Newborn had nearly 100 severe rat bites, parents charged, 14 May 2017

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Newborn Girl Found With About 100 Rodent Bites Undergoes Facial Reconstruction Surgery

Emergency room nurse told investigators that the 15-day-old baby girl suffered bite wounds on her arms, fingers, hands and face. The baby had a one-inch wound on her forehead so deep that her skull was visible.

Charles Elliott, 18, and Erica Shyrock, 19, each face a charge of endangering the welfare of a minor.

Elliott’s mother, the child’s grandmother, said he told her a mouse bit the baby and that he was worried about losing custody. Elliott’s mother allegedly told him he should take the girl to a hospital anyway.

Investigators then spoke with Shyrock, who said she woke up to the baby screaming on Sunday morning and found her covered in blood. Elliott gave a similar statement, adding that when he went to clean up the blood, he saw rat footprints in the crib.

A doctor at Arkansas Children’s Hospital said the baby girl suffered severe skin deconstruction “from rat feeding,” and that it would have taken hours for the injuries to occur. The doctor concluded that the parents were either incapacitated or not present when the rodent or rodents continuously bit the girl.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4515028/Parents-arrested-baby-covered-100-rat-bites.html
http://ktla.com/2017/05/17/newborn-found-with-about-100-rodent-bites-arkansas-parents-arrested/

Who doesn't check on a 15 day old all night? In fact, why isn't the baby being fed every couple of hours, and probably in the parents' room.?!

I agree that the parents left the baby or were passed out on something. DO NOT RETURN THIS INNOCENT INFANT TO THE "PARENTS".

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Oh.....that is horrid and heartbreaking. Poor baby. :cry:

It stated she has an older child who does not live with her.

This is horrible. This happened over the course of hours, and the bassinet was supposedly right next to them at night.

I hope to God that they will not be allowed to have this angel back. Let her go to a family that will love her, and put HER needs before their own. Plenty of people would be willing to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MY GOD!!!!! And they are only being charged with endangering the welfare of a minor?!! Surely there is something more they can be charged with..I swear, I cannot even begin to believe this, a 15-day old baby being basically eaten by rats...can't comprehend it right now..

Newborn Girl Found With About 100 Rodent Bites Undergoes Facial Reconstruction Surgery

Emergency room nurse told investigators that the 15-day-old baby girl suffered bite wounds on her arms, fingers, hands and face. The baby had a one-inch wound on her forehead so deep that her skull was visible.

Charles Elliott, 18, and Erica Shyrock, 19, each face a charge of endangering the welfare of a minor.

Elliott’s mother, the child’s grandmother, said he told her a mouse bit the baby and that he was worried about losing custody. Elliott’s mother allegedly told him he should take the girl to a hospital anyway.

Investigators then spoke with Shyrock, who said she woke up to the baby screaming on Sunday morning and found her covered in blood. Elliott gave a similar statement, adding that when he went to clean up the blood, he saw rat footprints in the crib.

A doctor at Arkansas Children’s Hospital said the baby girl suffered severe skin deconstruction “from rat feeding,” and that it would have taken hours for the injuries to occur. The doctor concluded that the parents were either incapacitated or not present when the rodent or rodents continuously bit the girl.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4515028/Parents-arrested-baby-covered-100-rat-bites.html
http://ktla.com/2017/05/17/newborn-found-with-about-100-rodent-bites-arkansas-parents-arrested/
How can they not know to check regularly on a newborn for one? If they knew they had rats and the grandma knew, someone should have called an exterminator b4 allowing baby to live there. Poor innocent baby [emoji22] [emoji26]

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

How can they not know to check regularly on a newborn for one? If they knew they had rats and the grandma knew, someone should have called an exterminator b4 allowing baby to live there. Poor innocent baby [emoji22] [emoji26]

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
And if money is an issue, rat traps work well!

I'm wondering if or how the parents weren't bitten...

MY GOD!!!!! And they are only being charged with endangering the welfare of a minor?!! Surely there is something more they can be charged with..I swear, I cannot even begin to believe this, a 15-day old baby being basically eaten by rats...can't comprehend it right now..

Or that they waited for HOURS to take her to the hospital for treatment. Why you might ask? They were afraid they might lose custody. Does that make any sense to any of you?

How someone can not dote on, nourish, nurture, love, protect and care for a precious baby, their own little baby....drugs...

It never ceases to amaze me, the forms of abuse inflicted...and these are only the cases we hear about.

Poor little baby couldn't tell anyone, call for help...this one has really broken my heart.

May this little one have hope and a new chance at a good life with a loving family.

:baby: :heartbeat:

Or that they waited for HOURS to take her to the hospital for treatment. Why you might ask? They were afraid they might lose custody. Does that make any sense to any of you?

(&$^#@!!!! If I saw those people right now I'd punch em in the face, not kidding.)

I think maybe they weren't home.

But at the same time they are young parents and why are they living in a home that is infested with rodents? That is NOT OKAY. Who owns the property?

How someone can not dote on, nourish, love, protect and care for a precious baby, their own little baby....drugs...

It never ceases to amaze me, the forms of abuse inflicted...and these are only the cases we hear about.

Poor little baby couldn't tell anyone, call for help...this one has really broken my heart.

May this little one have hope and a new chance at a good life with a loving family.

:baby: :heartbeat:

The delay in taking her for medical treatment likely involved waiting to come down from being high. So very sad!!!

It doesn't make sense but we see it so often. Bad parents behaving badly when threatened with losing their kids. I don't get it. :(

If a rat was trying to bite you you could shoo it away or hit it or throw something at it, whatever, even if you were drunk or high. An infant isn't capable of defending itself.

If a rat was trying to bite you you could shoo it away or hit it or throw something at it, whatever, even if you were drunk or high. An infant isn't capable of defending itself.
Definitely. My insinuation was that they simply weren't home, as you said. Or they were passed out on something.

A doctor’s report is said to have determined the wounds would have taken hours to occur and the baby would have been in distress during those hours.

The medic suggested both Shyrock and Elliott were “either incapacitated or absent to not have responded to the baby’s distress”.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3586554/teen-parents-arrested-baby-rat-bites/

Both were arrested for first degree endangering the welfare of a minor. Ryan Phillips, deputy prosecuting attorney for Columbia County, told the Magnolia Reporter Tuesday that new felony charges of permitting abuse of a minor with serious physical injury were expected to be filed.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rodent-bites-leave-newborn-hospitalized-teen-parents-charged/

“This case shows that some people just do not need to have kids,” said Prosecuting Attorney David Butler after the hearing, who asked the court to set bond at $50,000 each.

In addition to bond set at $15,000 each, the couple is also barred from having contact with the infant and their 3 other children as well as any other child under the age of 12.

http://www.ksla.com/story/35452380/...-ordered-for-parents-of-infant-mauled-by-rats

Definitely. My insinuation was that they simply weren't home, as you said. Or they were passed out on something.

Gee, meth or heroin?

Meth ruining lives!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members