OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #27

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
Ohio Shooting: Latest on Pike County murders
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

PIKE COUNTY, Ohio — No arrests have been made in the shooting investigation of eight execution-style killings of members of the Rhoden family last month in Pike County, Ohio.

Ohio family massacre highlights rural region’s ties to illegal drugs
POSTED 6:00 PM, MAY 1, 2016, BY CNNWIRE

23-pike-county-mass-shooting.w529.h352.jpg

link

The gruesome slayings have rattled this southeast corner of Appalachian Ohio, a region that culturally identifies more closely with neighboring Kentucky and West Virginia than the state’s northern cities.

[...]

Adding to the shock was the discovery of hundreds of illegal marijuana plants on Rhoden’s property, highlighting the region’s dependency on the illegal drug trade as jobs in agriculture and timber have dried up.

Audio 911 Calls

PRESSER: APRIL 27, 2016

Video Interview with Attorney General DeWine Published 8-13-16

MOD NOTE: You may discuss the criminal records of the family members who were murdered. In light of the grow operations they may be very relevant. Please refrain from posting criminal histories of other individuals who have not been named persons of interest or suspects by LE or simply because they have the last name of the victims or may be a distant cousin or aunt. Stick with the victims for now. That may change as more develops on this case.

Minors: You may discuss what is covered in the main stream media regarding the custody of minor children. If posting snips from articles regarding the children please redact their names. These babes are innocents. One day they will google their names or those of their parents. And plenty will come up. Let's be respectful of them and the catastrophic loss they have suffered at such tender ages. Thanks.

DO NOT SLEUTH STILL LIVING FAMILY MEMBERS' FACEBOOK PAGES AND POST ABOUT IT HERE. Just don't mention it. Period.

Leave the politics, both national and local, at the door. There is no room for them here.

Try to keep your speculation broad as LE have given no statements indicating they have POIs or suspects in mind.

Rules Etiquette & Information

CASE NOTES (courtesy of cujenn81) this link contains locations, distance, victim info, relationships and more.

MEDIA LINKS NO DISCUSSION

CASE MAP (courtesy of K.L.Puyallup)
Preliminary Autopsy Reports
Final Autopsy Reports

source article

Previous Thread (#26)

LATEST UPDATE

http://fox45now.com/news/local/inves...sacre-evidence

Investigators search Adams Co. farm for Pike Co. massacre evidence

ADAMS COUNTY, Ohio (WKRC) - Law enforcement officers are searching a farm in Adams County for evidence in the Pike County massacre. That farm is off of SR 32 near Peebles.

Police Track Truck of Victim's Brother

The warrant, signed by Pike County Common Pleas Judge Timothy S. Hogan, indicated authorities believe the truck was “used as a means of the commission of the crime’’ of aggravated murder. Or it was in the possession of another person with the intent to use the vehicle as a means of committing the crime, the warrant stated.

The search warrant never names Manley as a suspect, nor does it state that it is tied to the Rhoden homicide investigation.

ADMIN NOTES: Here are some clear parameters around the recent developments

You can freely discuss what is in the MSM.

1) CUSTODY DISPUTE - The fact that a custody dispute is SAID to have existed can be discussed.

2) PROPERTIES SEARCHED - what has been discussed in MSM (addresses, property owners, recent sale, etc) can be freely discussed.

3) DRUG ANGLE - that possible angle has been allowed since LE first announced that the grow op was found. That is still okay to theorize about.

4) TRUCK TRACKING - It has been reported that the police obtained a warrant to electronically track the movements of a truck belonging to the brother of a victim. You may discuss what is covered in the MSM

5) SUSPECTS/POIs - there are still NO named suspects or POIs. So keep discussion of possible motive relating to any of the above BROAD and without accusation or naming a specific person(s) as the murderer(s).

Continue to use initials. Keep theories broad and as non identifying as possible. Remember that what you put out there stays out there and affects real people. NO SLEUTHING of anyone associated with the searched properties or the owner of the truck. That includes the social media of any of the persons associated with those properties or that of their friends and/or family members.

I'm not sure what I think of this question without knowing the context.

"We bent over backwards. I give them DNA, I give them my phone so they could go through it. I mean, I’ve answered their stupid questions,” Leonard Manley said.

One example: investigators asked why he was dressed in black.

“They just won’t quit,” he said.

“I just told the prosecutor, the next time they come to my house, they’d better have a warrant,” he said.

http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law...ry-with-investigators/sdp9LLWQiJlVbJhA69ps9L/

Thanks tlcya! I can't believe we burned through #26 so quickly!

LM tells reporter JM was texting JW and AM was also texting DM. It is towards the end of the video.

[video=youtube;bf4ObgRJ_Xo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf4ObgRJ_Xo&sns=em[/video]

"We bent over backwards. I give them DNA, I give them my phone so they could go through it. I mean, I’ve answered their stupid questions,” Leonard Manley said.

“I just told the prosecutor, the next time they come to my house, they’d better have a warrant,” he said.

http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law...ry-with-investigators/sdp9LLWQiJlVbJhA69ps9L/

Good question.

When LM talks about the prosecutor needing a warrant next time LE comes to his house, it sounds like LM has been cooperating with them. He's talked to them without benefit of an attorney. That's a very trusting and risky thing for him to do and now he feels like they've betrayed his trust. JMO, it also sounds like Leonard never had reason to suspect his son or daughter were involved in the murders. He's tried to do the right thing and now feels betrayed. He's probably thinking LE may try to entrap him next.

Leonard wants these killers caught and it sounds like he has his own idea about who was involved. He's probably shared that with LE and is upset they're focusing on his own family instead.

But, yeah, any family member who has been talking to LE for over a year, without getting an attorney to represent him sounds 100% cooperative. That's a lot coming from a county where people don't have much trust in a local LE agency with a checkered past .

It's hard to form an opinion with all the wild theories that have been floated about this case from the beginning. Add in LE's long silences, periods of inactivity and sequestering of nearly all information about the case and it's very frustrating.

News media and public have been nearly completely shut out from the start. That leaves fertile ground for rumors and speculation.

It has been very frustrating.

Rationally, I absolutely do understand the need for secrecy in order to have the best chance of solving the case and successfully prosecuting ALL of the people responsible for the deaths. That said... without actual news, not even a definitive motive, rumors and supposition are pretty much all we have to go on.

It's reading a mystery novel with a whole bunch of random pages missing and just hoping that when you come to the end it will make some sense.

LM tells reporter JM was texting JW and AM was also texting DM. It is towards the end of the video.

[video=youtube;bf4ObgRJ_Xo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf4ObgRJ_Xo&sns=em[/video]

Ok, so we already heard what Leonard said about LE saying JM had texted JW. The talk of April Manley (JW's wife) texting Dina R at 1 am is a rumor that floated around for months.

This report confirms that LM told the reporter that he talked to his son and confirmed both JM's texting activity & AM's as well.

Not confirmed officially by LE, but confirmed by Leonard. I guess it's ok to discuss AM texting Dina R that night?

Ok, so we already heard what Leonard said about LE saying JM had texted JW. The talk of April Manley (JW's wife) texting Dina R at 1 am is a rumor that floated around for months.

This report confirms that LM told the reporter that he talked to his son and confirmed both JM's texting activity & AM's as well.

Not confirmed officially by LE, but confirmed by Leonard. I guess it's ok to discuss AM texting Dina R that night?

It is definitely said on the video! It's quite shocking to hear it said aloud! OMG!

Ohio BMV says this about finding names of previous vehicle owners: Due to the Drivers Privacy Protection Act the information you are requesting protected and cannot be released.

They really have to sensationalize it all.

If they could only see my wardrobe... Is it going to be dark black, light black, off black, or very dark grey, today? Good grief, the man is wearing a black shirt in the photo.

Thanks for posting the video. Jody Barr, my favorite and so relevant.

What were the messages of the texts? Isn't it the essential question?

There is nothing out of the ordinary with AM texting her sister at 2AM. DR was a nurse with a schedule. It all depends on the content.

I am more curious of the relationship between JW and JM? I don't see it yet. Perhaps with another family member...

Does LM, and family, not have lawyers who has advised them? I'm not being mean but bless his heart, he really shouldn't talk to them.

Again, I've always wondered why JM would say he didn't want to "find his niece like that", when he could hear the infant crying. That statement has never made sense to me.

DR was on on FB, that night, right at 1:00 a.m. She posted two shares. I've got a screenshot, but unsure about TOS re; posting it.

Does LM, and family, not have lawyers who has advised them? I'm not being mean but bless his heart, he really shouldn't talk to them.

Again, I've always wondered why JM would say he didn't want to "find his niece like that", when he could hear the infant crying. That statement has never made sense to me.

DR was on on FB, that night, right at 1:00 a.m. She posted two shares. I've got a screenshot, but unsure about TOS re; posting it.
Pretty sure you can link to her Facebook, but you can't post screenshots. Hope someone corrects me if necessary.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We should probably ask mods about DR's Facebook posts.

JM's response on discovering his sister's body & hearing baby cry has always struck me as "off", but it could be written off to panic of the moment. The texting by him and his wife that night could be innocent, but in light of timing, etc. it doesn't look good.

ETA: What prallypie said above is correct, I think. That came up recently with another victim's FB page.

The social media pages of the victims are okay to discuss. You may link to particular posts of interest. No screen caps please.

I am thinking (because I believe I read it in an article) that since it is quoted that she was nursing R or had just finishing nursing - that maybe her breasts were exposed when he went in the bedroom ? He might have thought Hanna would have been exposed in the same way since she was nursing K. We don't know that there was some purposeful posing of the victims ?

I know I would have been traumatized even w/o nudity ? given the violence of the murders.

Again, just postulating why he would not retrieve the infant K when he heard her crying.

He probably began looking at himself to see if there was any blood on him. Just cannot imagine the horrific scenes.

Thanks for posting the video. Jody Barr, my favorite and so relevant.

What were the messages of the texts? Isn't it the essential question?

There is nothing out of the ordinary with AM texting her sister at 2AM. DR was a nurse with a schedule. It all depends on the content.

I am more curious of the relationship between JW and JM? I don't see it yet. Perhaps with another family member...

So, if DR was texting at 2 AM, the murders had to have taken place after that. There's always been a lot of speculation about whether DR was still awake or had been awakened by the killers, as JM said he saw her feet when he opened the front door.

Makes you wonder if CR Sr was the first place the killers attacked and if he had time to call DR and awaken her before he was killed. If so, they probably went immediately to DR's. Otherwise she probably would have had time to call 911. That's why I wonder whether there was more than 1 group or individuals roaming around UH road that night. If they killed CR Sr and GR first, they probably would have also felt the need to go next door to FR's too. Did they split up, one going to FR's the other to DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member