FL FL - Angela Ramsey, 16, Deland, 21 June 1977

georgiagirl

Opinionated Southern Belle
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 49DFFL

ARamsey.jpg
ARamsey1.jpg

Left: Ramsley, circa 1977; Right: Age-progressed image of Ramsey at age 40 (circa 2001.)

Angela Sigrid Ramsey
Missing since June 21, 1977 from Deland, Volusia County, Florida
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: May 16, 1961
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3; 115 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: Ramsey has a small scar on the left side of her face.
<LI>Dentals: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Angela Sigrid Ramsey hitch-hiked from Columbia, S.C., to Florida in June, 1977 to visit friends in DeLand. The 16-year-old stayed at the Boulevard Motel on Woodland Boulevard for two days, then disappeared. A man who befriended Angie and took a picture of her by the motel pool later reported the girl missing, after she didn't meet him for dinner.
Investigators found the picture in Angie's room with her clothes, jewelry and a letter to her best friend back home. The letter said she missed Columbia and her mother. Ramsey's father was an officer in the United States Army; as a result of the family's travels, she had many friends across the country. Ramsey's mother told authorities that her daughter had hitchhiked to Florida with truck drivers, then stayed at a friend's home in Florida before checking into the Boulevard Motel. Ramsey's friend apparently offered her money before she left, but she refused to accept the offer. She has never been seen again and investigators suspect foul play.

Investigators
If you have any information on the whereabouts of Ramsey, please contact:
Volusia County Sheriff's Office
386-248-1777

You may remain anonymous if you wish when submitting information.

Agency Case Number: 93001275

NCIC Number:
M-617760981
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information: The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children

Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index

>> A man who befriended Angie and took a picture of her by the motel pool later reported the girl missing, after she didn't meet him for dinner. <<

Just who was this benevolent stranger who met her, invited her to dinner, and then reported her missing? There has to be more to the story.

How long was the time interval between the meeting at the pool and the failure to show up for dinner? And how long before he reported her missing?

Were all other guests of the motel identified and questioned?

I was so chilled to see that the first picture of Angela resembles my sister who was murdered in 1982.

How sad that such a beautiful young girl has vanished. And even sadder that she hasn't been found after all this time.

I wonder where the man at the pool is now and what he looked like? Is there a description or picture of him? I also wonder what her route was? What states did she travel through/towns?

georgiagirl said:
The Doe Network:
Case File 49DFFL

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/images/ARamsey.jpg http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/images/ARamsey1.jpg
Left: Ramsley, circa 1977; Right: Age-progressed image of Ramsey at age 40 (circa 2001.)

Angela Sigrid Ramsey
Missing since June 21, 1977 from Deland, Volusia County, Florida
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: May 16, 1961
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3; 115 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: Ramsey has a small scar on the left side of her face.
<LI>Dentals: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Angela Sigrid Ramsey hitch-hiked from Columbia, S.C., to Florida in June, 1977 to visit friends in DeLand. The 16-year-old stayed at the Boulevard Motel on Woodland Boulevard for two days, then disappeared. A man who befriended Angie and took a picture of her by the motel pool later reported the girl missing, after she didn't meet him for dinner.
Investigators found the picture in Angie's room with her clothes, jewelry and a letter to her best friend back home. The letter said she missed Columbia and her mother. Ramsey's father was an officer in the United States Army; as a result of the family's travels, she had many friends across the country. Ramsey's mother told authorities that her daughter had hitchhiked to Florida with truck drivers, then stayed at a friend's home in Florida before checking into the Boulevard Motel. Ramsey's friend apparently offered her money before she left, but she refused to accept the offer. She has never been seen again and investigators suspect foul play.

Investigators
If you have any information on the whereabouts of Ramsey, please contact:
Volusia County Sheriff's Office
386-248-1777

You may remain anonymous if you wish when submitting information.

Agency Case Number: 93001275

NCIC Number:
M-617760981
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information: The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children

Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index

I find it a little strange that this guy would report her missing. I'm not a man, but I would think that most men would assume she had second thoughts about having dinner with him or spending any more time with him and just forget about her, look her up later, but to report a "stranger" as missing, ???? Sounds suspicious to me ....

I agree, it does sound weird. I would love to see a picture of this man.

LButler said:
I find it a little strange that this guy would report her missing. I'm not a man, but I would think that most men would assume she had second thoughts about having dinner with him or spending any more time with him and just forget about her, look her up later, but to report a "stranger" as missing, ???? Sounds suspicious to me ....

LButler said:
Just theory, but could it be that this guy did something with her, and then afterward recalled that she had a photo and perhaps something else of his in her room that might have linked him to her - like maybe his name and room or phone number? Perhaps others had seen him talking to her at the pool and could identify him. If he took off and was later tracked down, he would have been a prime suspect. He may have felt that by calling the police himself, he could play the part of the caring and concerned citizen, and account for her possession of the photo - which would have had his prints on it - and maybe his name and room/phone number.

I just cannot imagine calling 911 to report someone I just met as a missing person because she failed to show for a hastily arranged dinner date.

forthelost.bravepages.com/aramsey.html

Angela Sigrid Ramsey

Last seen in Deland, Florida, on June 21, 1977

Vital statistics: Born on May 16, 1961. Brown hair, brown eyes. Her nickname is "Angie". Ramsey has a small scar on the left side of her face. Was sixteen when last seen.

NCIC number: M-617760981

Circumstances: Angela hitch-hiked from Columbia, S.C., to Florida in June, 1977 to visit friends in DeLand. The 16-year-old stayed at the Boulevard Motel on Woodland Boulevard for two days, then disappeared. A man she had befriended at the hotel and who had taken a picture of her by the hotel pool reported her missing when she failed to come to dinner. He has been investigated and is not a suspect in her case. The picture was found in her room with clothing, jewlery, and a letter to a friend home.Ramsey's father was an officer in the United States Army; as a result of the family's travels, she had many friends across the country. Ramsey's mother told authorities that her daughter had hitchhiked to Florida with truck drivers, then stayed at a friend's home in Florida before checking into the Boulevard Motel. Ramsey's friend apparently offered her money before she left, but she refused to accept the offer. Classified as Endangered Missing; foul play is suspected.

Theories: We can almost certainly rule out the possibility of her deciding to leave the hotel because she would not have left behind her belongings. The next theory is that she was abducted while at the hotel by a guest or staff member. It is also possible that she was abducted or killed while out around the town of Deland. My theory is definitely that she was either abducted or killed. She is described as a nice, polite teenager, and she was traveling alone, so she would have been an easy target. I don't know who would want a 16 year old child, but something prevented her from returning home and attending the dinner date.

f you have any information on Ramsey's wherebouts, please e-mail For The Lost at this addr

What was Angela's Father's name and rank? Where was he stationed and what was his assignment at the time? Could it have been Fort Jackson in Columbia, SC ?

Did the family live on base, or out in town?

Could there have been a connection with her home? For instance, someone who knew her might have also traveled to Florida to meet with her while she was away from home.

Bumping this case up. It has been a year since the last post to this thread. Since it was started, there have been 281 viewings.

Perhaps someone she hitched a ride from was following her?

Bumping this case up again. Here is an updated link to The Doe Network Case File 49DFFL:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/49dffl.html

Note that this girl was from South Carolina. Exactly one week later, another South Carolina girl, Eva DeBruhl disappeared from her home. I wonder if there is any connection between the two.

Bumping the thread.

I drive past this motel daily and I can't help but wonder if she is still in the general area. There are several steep hills on the other side of the road that lead down to over grown brush and trees.

Also several restaurants have gone up over the years. If there was nothing there when Angela disappeared, and the person who harmed her didn't want to go far, they could have gone across the street. Years later a parking lot goes in and that's that.

It should also be noted Deleon Springs is right down the road and that area is pretty rural and heavily wooded. You have Deleon Springs State Park and Lake George State Forest.

I wonder if anything was done back then to really search for her. But something about the steep hills across from the motel gets at me.

7/16/2007

This Week&#8217;s Case: Angela Ramsey

THE CASE

Missing Person

Date of crime: June 21, 1977

Ramsey, 16, told her mother, Gerry Nancey in South Carolina, that she was going to visit a friend. Rather than visit the friend, however, Ramsey hitchhiked her way down the East Coast, eventually landing at a DeLand motel where she met a young man and spent the day with him. The young man returned to see Ramsey the next day, but she was gone.

THE INVESTIGATION

The young man reported Ramsey&#8217;s disappearance to the Volusia County Sheriff&#8217;s Office. Investigators combed her motel room for clues &#8212; all her belongings were undisturbed. The young man who last saw Ramsey told investigators she may have left for the evening and was abducted.

THE SURVIVORS

Every year, on her birthday, Ramsey&#8217;s mother places a photo of her daughter on the dining room table. She surrounds it with roses and prays for her daughter to come home. She still has the letter, yellowed and torn, that her daughter sent her before she disappeared. It reads: &#8220;I really miss my mamma.&#8221;

THE UPDATE

Last month marked the 30th anniversary of Ramsey&#8217;s disappearance. Investigators have reinterviewed witnesses, including the young man who is now a corrections officer in Brevard County, but have no new leads. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children has aged Ramsey&#8217;s picture to show what she might look like today.

&#8212; Seth Robbins

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at (888) 277-TIPS (8477). Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/special/coldcase/2007/071607.htm

Just theory, but could it be that this guy did something with her, and then afterward recalled that she had a photo and perhaps something else of his in her room that might have linked him to her - like maybe his name and room or phone number? Perhaps others had seen him talking to her at the pool and could identify him. If he took off and was later tracked down, he would have been a prime suspect. He may have felt that by calling the police himself, he could play the part of the caring and concerned citizen, and account for her possession of the photo - which would have had his prints on it - and maybe his name and room/phone number.

I just cannot imagine calling 911 to report someone I just met as a missing person because she failed to show for a hastily arranged dinner date.

I agree with Richard,

It is very strange that this woman would arrange to have a dinner date with someone who was literally a complete stranger to her. Agree that this person might have played the part of "concerned citizen." However, he could know a lot more than he is telling.

Satch

this case baffles me. i think:
1. the guy knows more than he is saying
2. she hitch hiked and it went bad
3. something with the military ( i can't help but wonder)
4. she left to go somewhere else, but something went wrong.
whatever happened to her, it cant be good

this case baffles me. i think:
1. the guy knows more than he is saying
2. she hitch hiked and it went bad
3. something with the military ( i can't help but wonder)
4. she left to go somewhere else, but something went wrong.
whatever happened to her, it cant be good

I wonder just who the benevolent and concerned citizen was. Things just do not add up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back