PA - Police find toddler locked in cage, newborn alone in house, 17 May 2017

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Police in Pennsylvania say a 22-month-old boy has been found locked inside a makeshift wooden cage while his day-old sister and 1-year-old brother were found alone in the same house.

Troopers acting on a tip arrived at the North Manheim Township home of 37-year-old Cecil Kutz on Wednesday afternoon.

Police found a 1-year-old boy in a playpen, a 1-day-old girl in a baby seat and the toddler inside a makeshift cage made of plywood and wooden lattice, locked from the outside.

Police arrested Kutz on child endangerment charges when he returned home. He remained jailed Thursday and didn't yet have an attorney.

Police say the children's mother is hospitalized with complications from the youngest child's birth.

The children were placed in county custody.

http://www.whio.com/news/national/p...e-newborn-alone-house/kTNBLSmHieWghWjoil5esM/

Thankful for the person who called in the tip to the police.

Prayers of gratitude that the children are alive and are safe now.

Absolutely terrible stories this morning. My goodness, I hope these little ones are placed with someone who will love them well!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Troopers acting on a tip arrived at the North Manheim Township, Schuylkill County home of 37-year-old Cecil Kutz on Wednesday afternoon.

Action News has learned Kutz is the father of those children, and their mother is the one who contacted police.

http://6abc.com/news/police-toddler-locked-in-cage-newborn-alone-in-pa-home/2007956/

Article says the mother is hospitalized because of complications from the newborn's birth. And that this is not a one time deal, it is dad's "regular" practice to lock up the 22 month old.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...a-man-jailed-3-kids-found-alone-toddler-caged

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Child-Cage-Endangerment-Kutz-422979294.html

http://www.wilx.com/content/news/Pe...kids-found-alone-toddler-caged-422965744.html

I hope they don't decide he needs parenting classes and then have him reunite with the family.

The mother might retain the children, but she went along with the cage. So she needs help as well.

I am afraid for these children. Three little children -- overwhelming. I hope they stop having kids

Mom had the baby at home but only took herself to the hospital??

One story said that the mother gave birth at home, had bleeding and went by ambulance the next day to hospital. Hospital asked where the baby was and she said at home. Hospital tipped police

There is also a 5 year old that isn't mentioned. Perhaps he was in school or mother didn't have custody

Mom had the baby at home but only took herself to the hospital??

Ok, wow. I was trying to figure out how a hospital would send a 1 day old baby home while mom was still there. That made no sense to me.

But what they found at that house makes no sense either...:no:

One story said that the mother gave birth at home, had bleeding and went by ambulance the next day to hospital. Hospital asked where the baby was and she said at home. Hospital tipped police

There is also a 5 year old that isn't mentioned. Perhaps he was in school or mother didn't have custody

My first thought was why didn't they take the baby in the ambulance with Mom to the hospital? She would have to nurse. But, I guess hospitals aren't in the child care business.

I'm horrified at the stories we are seeing this week. Why do these people have children?

I hope that baby didn't have to suffer withdrawals from anything after birth. Most newborns who are exposed to drugs during the pregnancy need NICU care to help with the withdraw symptoms.

I wonder if the EMTs knew she had given birth? Did she conceal the baby? I can't imagine well trained EMTs not asking to at least see the baby...maybe she looked good.

What?!! I hope we get more info in an accurate update..mom has baby at home without assistance?! Goes to hospital the next day, Dad puts one in a cage, one in a playpen, and a 1-day old baby in a seat and leaves. I agree..the stories this week of children are just heartbreaking!!!! WTH?!!! I guess we can be thankful that there weren't any rats that we know of...unbelievable!!

My first thought was why didn't they take the baby in the ambulance with Mom to the hospital? She would have to nurse. But, I guess hospitals aren't in the child care business.

I'm horrified at the stories we are seeing this week. Why do these people have children?
She wouldn't necessarily have to nurse. Many women don't for many different reasons.

I hope that baby didn't have to suffer withdrawals from anything after birth. Most newborns who are exposed to drugs during the pregnancy need NICU care to help with the withdraw symptoms.

I wonder if the EMTs knew she had given birth? Did she conceal the baby? I can't imagine well trained EMTs not asking to at least see the baby...maybe she looked good.
I'm not defending these people at all, but plenty of moms deliver at home. It wouldn't be my personal choice. But perhaps the EMTs felt the baby was healthy?

I had the same initial thought, but then upon thinking more, I guess the baby would have to be checked in as a patient if she had brought the baby?

According to investigators, Kutz’s girlfriend delivered that baby girl at home on Tuesday and went to the hospital Wednesday morning after suffering complications.

Hospital staff notified state police about the toddlers and newborn at home alone and that’s when troopers made the alarming discovery.

Kutz told police the reason his children were home alone, was because he wanted to go visit his girlfriend in the hospital.

http://wnep.com/2017/05/18/child-found-locked-in-cage-in-schuylkill-county/

Police said the children's 25-year-old mother gave birth at the home about 90 miles (145 kilometers) northwest of Philadelphia around 9 p.m. Tuesday. She suffered heavy bleeding and Kutz called an ambulance for her around 9:30 a.m. Wednesday. She was taken to a hospital and underwent surgery, Trooper Thomas Robin told The Associated Press in an earlier phone interview.

Robin said medical staff asked her, "'Where's the baby?' She said, 'The baby's at home.' That put up a red flag."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/pennsylvania-man-jailed-kids-found-toddler-caged-47486033

did they give birth at home because religion? crunchy? poor? or hiding drug exposure?

bbm That was my first thought too. I never get these people. smh

Clearly the father was either overwhelmed or had no clue or simply didn't care. Maybe he never heard of condoms? (sarcasm)

Glad the babies are all safe.

But now what?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts