1264 users online (223 members and 1041 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

2017.05.21 - Notre Dame grads walk out during V.P. Pence's speech

May 21 2017, 2:25 pm ET

Dozens of Notre Dame Students Walk Out of VP Mike Pence Commencement Speech

by Phil McCausland

Dozens of students at the University of Notre Dame walked out of their commencement ceremony Sunday when Vice President Mike Pence took the stage — in protest of the administration and policies he represents.

Some members of the larger crowd cheered the walk-outs on, while others booed the students who marched out of gates 27 and 28 of Notre Dame Stadium during the school's 172nd commencement. The walk-out came before the students received their degrees, and they were not allowed back in, officials said.

The move was not totally unexpected, since the student organization WeStaNDFor had shared their plans ahead of time. They believe that the politics Pence, the former Indiana governor who was raised Catholic, represented contradicted the Catholic social virtues Notre Dame extols...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...speech-n762681

Other than that SNL clip from the other thread, this is the best news I've heard all day. Good for them.

Nice planning. Their presence wasn't necessary anyway. Just more attention-seeking arranged ahead of time.

Having a last name towards the end of the alphabet, I'm hoping my kids will walk out.
    EVERYTHING I POST IS EITHER MY OPINION, MY EXPERIENCE OR MY BELIEF. MOOYAH

They believe that the politics Pence, the former Indiana governor who was raised Catholic, represented contradicted the Catholic social virtues Notre Dame extols..

They are not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    They believe that the politics Pence, the former Indiana governor who was raised Catholic, represented contradicted the Catholic social virtues Notre Dame extols..

They are not wrong.
    I agree and one of the reasons I'm not a fan of organized religion. It bends and changes to however they want. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKAYOYO View Post
    I agree and one of the reasons I'm not a fan of organized religion. It bends and changes to however they want. No thanks.
    Yeah I quote myself, religion is one of the things that I'm so not conservative about. The people I know and talk with are all middle of the road when it comes to identifying oneself as left or right. I hate that we can only be labeled as left or right. I'm not either and the vast majority of people I know are the same. When can we get a candidate that encompasses that? I don't want to choose sides anymore. I want someone who speaks to me and what I feel are a sh** ton of others like me. I would run for office if I didn't have so many skeletons. So so many skeletons.

Yeah I quote myself, religion is one of the things that I'm so not conservative about. The people I know and talk with are all middle of the road when it comes to identifying oneself as left or right. I hate that we can only be labeled as left or right. I'm not either and the vast majority of people I know are the same. When can we get a candidate that encompasses that? I don't want to choose sides anymore. I want someone who speaks to me and what I feel are a sh** ton of others like me. I would run for office if I didn't have so many skeletons. So so many skeletons.
    Trump made skeletons fashionable. You can run!

They were wrong to have a politician speak at their graduation. I'm not a fan of organized religion either, but Notre Dame is a Catholic school. There are plenty of Catholics (or even honorable non-Catholics) they could have chosen to speak. Instead they go with Pence. Big mistake. He didn't even go to Notre Dame and he turned his back on Catholicism in college. Wtf did they expect.

What completely selfish, self-absorbed little babies they were.

Walking out was disrespectful, narcissistic, and very immature.

If they didn't like the speaker, then they should have stayed away. This is not an honorable, respectful, or appropriate way to "protest" anything.

I hope their diplomas are "lost" in the mail, or take many months, and many phone calls to be mailed out.

If I were in charge of admin at a university, I'd let the graduates know ahead of time that if they acted up and disrupted a graduation ceremony with some kind of babyish "protest", they would be severely fined, and have their transcripts (and diplomas, if not awarded) withheld until the fine was paid.

If I found out that a prospective employee behaved in that manner, they'd never get an interview for a job in any of my businesses. I would never hire someone that behaved that way, at a formal graduation.

Disgusting.

I would love to know what their majors are.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    They were wrong to have a politician speak at their graduation. I'm not a fan of organized religion either, but Notre Dame is a Catholic school. There are plenty of Catholics (or even honorable non-Catholics) they could have chosen to speak. Instead they go with Pence. Big mistake. He didn't even go to Notre Dame and he turned his back on Catholicism in college. Wtf did they expect.
    Well from my experience Catholicism and Pence's views aren't too far apart.

I agree with you. We have shifted so far to the extremes with both parties, which is problematic on many levels, especially in trying to get anything at all accomplished with bi-partisan support! I've said many times that with the drama with the DNC and disappointment with Trump being the nominee and now president, both parties will need to do some rebuilding and think more about moderates. Or, a viable third party will emerge!

Although my personal views are pretty far left, we will be better served as a country with a moderate president and more moderate legislators. As it stands, we have stubborn selfish folks refusing to compromise and insistent on seeing the "other" fail. The ACA is actually a good example of that, imo. It could have been much more effective if there was openness and legitimate conversation as well as support moving forward. Instead, we had a ton of states and businesses insistent on its failure and made funding and business decisions that hindered any success, thereby hurting citizens.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by K_Z View Post
    What completely selfish, self-absorbed little babies they were.

Walking out was disrespectful, narcissistic, and very immature.

If they didn't like the speaker, then they should have stayed away. This is not an honorable, respectful, or appropriate way to "protest" anything.

I hope their diplomas are "lost" in the mail, or take many months, and many phone calls to be mailed out.

If I were in charge of admin at a university, I'd let the graduates know ahead of time that if they acted up and disrupted a graduation ceremony with some kind of babyish "protest", they would be severely fined, and have their transcripts (and diplomas, if not awarded) withheld until the fine was paid.

If I found out that a prospective employee behaved in that manner, they'd never get an interview for a job in any of my businesses. I would never hire someone that behaved that way, at a formal graduation.

Disgusting.

I would love to know what their majors are.
    You think their majors would have something to do with whether they chose to protest or not?

I commend them for standing up for what they believe. They chose to pay that school good money. I am sure the schools environment and culture had a lot to do with their choice. They have a right to protest.

Why are some folks so whiny when it comes to seeing others protest?
    "Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment" - Rumi

Well from my experience Catholicism and Pence's views aren't too far apart.
    I know what you mean but compare the Pope to Mike Pence, for instance. Which I guess is like comparing Tim Kaine to Paul Ryan. Hmmm.

I still think getting Pence was asking for trouble though.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolJ View Post
    You think their majors would have something to do with whether they chose to protest or not?

I commend them for standing up for what they believe. They chose to pay that school good money. I am sure the schools environment and culture had a lot to do with their choice. They have a right to protest.

Why are some folks so whiny when it comes to seeing others protest?
    IMO, they don't have a "right" to protest in that manner.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think their behavior was selfish, immature, and reprehensible.

If my college grad age kid did that, there would be serious consequences. Like, you are now completely and thoroughly on your own, financially and otherwise. No graduation dinner at a fine restaurant. Don't bother coming by the house to pack any of your clothes or "things". Don't bother calling or asking if you need money, bailed out, a bed to crash in, or anything else. And if the car the little snowflake was driving is still in my name, the car is now back in my garage. I'd report it stolen, if necessary.

Behavior = consequences.

Disgusting, disrespectful behavior = difficult and immediate adult consequences

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast