719 users online (145 members and 574 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Beware of Kafkatrapping

Kafkatrapping

Kafka +‎ trapping, coined in 2010 by Eric Raymond in reference to Franz Kafka's story The Trial (Der Process, published 1925), in which a man is accused of crimes that are never specified

A sophistical and unfalsifiable form of argument that attempts to overcome an opponent by inducing a sense of guilt and using the opponent's denial of guilt as further evidence of guilt.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Kafkatrapping
    Last edited by BayouBelle_LA; 05-21-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Kind of like, "do you still beat your wife and kick your dog?"

The term “kafkatrapping” describes a logical fallacy that is popular within gender feminism, racial politics and other ideologies of victimhood. It occurs when you are accused of a thought crime such as sexism, racism or homophobia. You respond with an honest denial, which is then used as further confirmation of your guilt. You are now trapped in a circular and unfalsifiable argument; no one who is accused can be innocent because the structure of kafkatrapping precludes that possibility.

Model A: The accuser states, “Your refusal to acknowledge that you are guilty of (sin, racism, sexism, homophobia, oppression…) confirms that you are guilty of (sin, racism, sexism, homophobia, oppression…).” Harking back to The Trial, Raymond explains how the novel’s plot parallels the structure and purpose of the accuser’s nonargument. No specific acts are named in the accusation, which makes the claim unfalsifiable. The vague charge constitutes a thought crime, which also makes it unfalsifiable. As with The Trial, the process seems designed to create guilt and to destroy resistance so that you become malleable. Indeed, “the only way out … is … to acquiesce in his own destruction.” Even if you are innocent, the only path to redemption is for you to plead guilty and accept punishment. Ideally, for the accuser, you even come to believe in your own guilt.

Model C is a common variant on the same theme. You may not have done, felt or thought anything wrong but you are still guilty because you benefit from a position of privilege created by others. In other words, you are guilty because of your identification with a group such as “male,” “white,” or “heterosexual.” The accusation makes you responsible for the actions of strangers whose behavior you cannot control and who may have died long ago. Raymond writes, “The aim … is to produce a kind of free-floating guilt … a conviction of sinfulness that can be manipulated by the operator [accuser] to make the subject say and do things that are convenient to the operator’s personal, political, or religious goals.” To be redeemed, you must cease to disagree with your accuser and condemn your entire identity group.

http://www.thedailybell.com/editoria...kafkatrapping/

Quote Originally Posted by K_Z View Post
    Kind of like, "do you still beat your wife and kick your dog?"
    I have never beaten my wife or kicked my dog!

And so it goes.
    Last edited by BayouBelle_LA; 05-22-2017 at 12:35 AM.

"I'm a victim of kafkatrapping!" is just another ideology of victimhood.

This is hilarious.
    Toxic masculinity ruins the party again!

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBelle_LA View Post
    Kafkatrapping

Kafka +‎ trapping, coined in 2010 by Eric Raymond in reference to Franz Kafka's story The Trial (Der Process, published 1925), in which a man is accused of crimes that are never specified

A sophistical and unfalsifiable form of argument that attempts to overcome an opponent by inducing a sense of guilt and using the opponent's denial of guilt as further evidence of guilt.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Kafkatrapping
    BBM

We have control over what we feel guilty about. If we aren't guilty of something, why take it on?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

O.M.G. This is hilarious!

Must be so comforting to know that someone has provided a leg for you to stand on when you don't, in reality, have a leg to stand on.

What nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by DatelineFan View Post
    BBM

We have control over what we feel guilty about. If we aren't guilty of something, why take it on?

I think people tend to take it on because they don't appreciate being accused of something they're not guilty of.

I try to steer clear of logical fallacy arguments. I'm not always successful and realize quickly when it turns circular and round and round we go.

Beware of Kafkatrapping

Quote Originally Posted by DatelineFan View Post
    BBM

It sounds like when a wife goes missing and no matter what the husband does he is obviously the one who murdered her. Too many tears? Guilty! No tears? Guilty! Says he's not guilty? Guilty!

But the twist is people want to use this as a defense in social issues. They want to have their racist or xenophobic or sexist beliefs and not feel guilty.

Person A says something racist.
    Person B says "That's racist."
    A: "No it isn't."
    B: "Yes it is and denying it isn't helping your case."
    ^what they are saying is a fallacy - saying "That's racist" a second time.

Tapatalk keeps cutting off my reply.

Eta:
    Words.
    Last edited by bluesneakers; 05-22-2017 at 12:15 AM.

I think people tend to take it on because they don't appreciate being accused of something they're not guilty of.

I try to steer clear of logical fallacy arguments. I'm not always successful and realize quickly when it turns circular and round and round we go.
    If people don't want to be accused of racism, maybe they (general they) should think before they start a thread which is clearly an invitation to speak about race.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy1 View Post
    O.M.G. This is hilarious!

Must be so comforting to know that someone has provided a leg for you to stand on when you don't, in reality, have a leg to stand on.

What nonsense.
    I like the part about "You respond with an honest denial." Because yes, absolutely if someone who says and does racist things tells me "No I don't" I will realize my mistake and feel shame.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    I like the part about "You respond with an honest denial." Because yes, absolutely if someone who says and does racist things tells me "No I don't" I will realize my mistake and feel shame.
    Well, we do seem to living in a time where people are convinced, somehow, they didn't see what they saw or hear what they heard. I guess it's not much of a leap for those folks to convince themselves they don't believe what they believe or feel what they feel.

I'm sure if I search the web enough, I can find some term for this phenomenon, too. But I'm too tired and I don't really care.

It is what it is.

I can see there will be some fine examples on this thread.

So it's difficult for you to have a discussion about something like racism or sexism because someone might think you (along with the rest of humanity) probably have some prejudice?

I guess it is easier to let it go around in circles than to think critically about yourself and others, and try to come up with some ways to be part of the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer17 View Post
    If people don't want to be accused of racism, maybe they (general they) should think before they start a thread which is clearly an invitation to speak about race.
    I think OP is trying to introduce a new term to help people be more defensive about potentially harmful beliefs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast