Mother Dies on Mother's Day Saving Teenage Daughter's life

I just. I know it was an accident but the woman was 80 years old and got confused? That's why this Mom of 3 is dead? That's why this girl is traumatized watching her mother die in her place?
I just. My words fail me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just. I know it was an accident but the woman was 80 years old and got confused? That's why this Mom of 3 is dead? That's why this girl is traumatized watching her mother die in her place?
I just. My words fail me.

My grandmother is 83 and has pulled into oncoming traffic (because she didn't realize the cars were in her lane) and has almost caused numerous other accidents. I don't mean to sound hateful, but I really believe there should be an age where you at least need to re-test for your license or get it revoked, there's no mystery that the older you get things start to deteriorate... R.I.P Diane, you gave the ultimate sacrifice and I know you loved your daughter. My mother would do the same :( so sad...

My mother was almost killed by a 93 year old guy who went the wrong way up an exit ramp.

In my country, anyone over 75 has to carry a safe driving certificate certified annually by their doctor.

[bbm]

there is where I live in Canada ... I'm surprised you don't have it there in the States?

My grandmother is 83 and has pulled into oncoming traffic (because she didn't realize the cars were in her lane) and has almost caused numerous other accidents. I don't mean to sound hateful, but I really believe there should be an age where you at least need to re-test for your license or get it revoked, there's no mystery that the older you get things start to deteriorate... R.I.P Diane, you gave the ultimate sacrifice and I know you loved your daughter. My mother would do the same :( so sad...

she hit the accelerator instead of the brake

this can happen to anyone at any age ... I've done it myself

[bbm]

there is where I live in Canada ... I'm surprised you don't have it there in the States?

New Mexico has annual renewal after a certain age, I think 70?

RIP this Hero Mom, blessings on her family & friends.

she hit the accelerator instead of the brake

this can happen to anyone at any age ... I've done it myself

Last time I did it was when I was in my early 20s, thankfully my reaction time at that age was fast and I quickly stopped, and haven't done it since and I'm now nearly 40. Helps that since then I've only driven manual cars - much harder to accidentally do that kind of thing in a manual transmission imo

That said I do think elderly drivers absolutely should be subject to annual testing or review of some kind, they are where i live (medical review yearly after 75; yearly testing from 75 if you have anything other than a standard car license; after 85 you must also either take a yearly test OR get a 'modified' license which licenses you to drive only in certain areas/circumstances ie during the day and only in your familiar local area). My grandfather voluntarily gave up his license after he was a little cautious pulling into traffic and someone rear-ended him thinking he would have gone, he realised he'd lost his nerve. I'm so glad he gave it up voluntarily. My SO's grandmother is very much the stereotypical slow, over-cautious elderly lady driver but she thinks she's a great driver. It's really a worry, tbh. I don't let my kids get in the car with her no matter how much she asks. She's going to hold onto that license until the end, I just know it.

[bbm]

Not that I know of, at least not in my state. My grandpa is almost 95 and he'd still be driving if my parents hadn't taken the keys away!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back