CA CA - San Jose, WhtMale 729UMCA, 40-60, 'J.M. Lacey' on waistband, Dec'02

PonderingThings

Former member
Reaction score
I tried a search on the Doe Network and didn't come up with this one.

[URL]http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/the_valley/13455589.htm
[/URL]

180937941385.jpg

Skull reconstruction suggests a likeness of the Caucasian male, approximately 40 to 60 years old.

Posted on Wed, Dec. 21, 2005
Investigators try to put a face on skeleton found in '02
By Sean Webby
Mercury News

The man was dressed for the elements -- hiking boots, a ski cap, two sweaters and two pairs of pants, layered almost as though he expected to spend some time in the rugged, chilly hills above San Jose.

He spent years.

A hiker found his scattered skeleton near a trail in Joseph D. Grant County Park east of San Jose in December 2002, about five years after it was estimated he had died.

Was he a homeless man who died, disoriented and far from help, as the sun set and the temperature plummeted on the shoulders of Mount Hamilton? Was there foul play?

Tuesday, the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Department released a photograph of what they believe the man's face and head may have looked like in life. Authorities are hoping that the model -- created by an investigator with the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office -- will bring out someone who knew the middle-age mystery man. Maybe someone can help explain how he died.

But right now the man with an arthritic shoulder and bad teeth is known only by his coroner's case number: 02-04408.

``This may have been a transient person who died of exposure,'' said Serg Palanov, a spokesman for the sheriff's department. ``There is no evidence of foul play of any kind. But he's way up in the boonies. There are sometimes pot growths up in there. Was he camping? Lost? We just don't know.''

The Santa Clara Coroner's Office gets about two or three John or Jane Does a month. Almost all are eventually identified through fingerprints, dental records and, increasingly, DNA. But occasionally, as in this case, investigators are stumped.

``When it comes to the point of using forensic artists, it's a last resort,'' said Kevin Richlin, a forensic reconstruction artist.

Richlin -- a former detective who has done six other reconstructions including one that led to the identification of a Sunnyvale homicide victim in the late 1980s -- was brought into the case seven months ago.

The 44-year-old began his forensic art career doodling cartoons of his fellow officers, and eventually began drawing composite sketches of suspects. For Case 02-04408, he studied facial bones from a partial skull and measured ``tissue depth markers.''

With the help of Lorna Pierce, a forensic anthropologist, Richlin factored in race and age range. Slowly, sometimes after his work day had ended, the investigator packed Klean Clay -- a pliable tan-toned clay -- around the weathered skull. Sometimes he just guessed, using a mix of scientific ranges and artistic license.

A face emerged. He was strong-jawed, offset by a slight double chin, a small mouth and a prominent nose. His ears stuck out slightly.

Richlin used brown prosthetic eyes -- by far the most prevalent human eye color, but really just a statistical hedge bet. The same mindset went into the man's stark hairless appearance. He could have had long hair and a shaggy beard, Richlin said.

Richlin used a computer-imaging program to clean up and recolor the victim's dirty and partially decomposed ski hat and superimposed it on his head.

Other evidence scattered near his bones left tantalizing glimpses of who he was: a watch on a black cloth band, a cigarette case with the rolling paper brand name of `Job'' imprinted on its silver cover. Palanov pointed out that the watch might be evidence that the man was not robbed, even though he had no wallet or other identification.

There is even a name stamped on the inside of the waistband of one of the pairs of pants he was wearing: ``J.M. Lacey.''

Was this 02-04408's name?

Investigators found no local records of anyone missing by that name. Was he a member of the military, whose branches sometimes stamp the name of people on their uniforms. Or did the victim pick up the pants at a Goodwill store?

``I want to see this person identified,'' said Richlin, who is already at work on his next reconstruction, a woman whose case police won't discuss. ``There is a family out there missing a loved one.''

Contact Sean Webby at swebby@mercurynews.com or (408) 920-5003.
In an earlier article it said he was 5'11" and could be as young as 35.

180937941385.jpg

Possible Match #1
[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][SIZE=-1]http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1595dmca.html[/SIZE][/FONT]

Jeremy Freeman Crocker
Missing since December 9, 1996 from Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: August 1, 1934
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 62 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'11"-6'0"; 170 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. White/Gray hair; green or blue eyes.
Stats and time of disappearance match... but composite vs photo isn't an "exact" match.... what do you think?

I found this man, Robert J Wykel. What struck me was the nose on the photo. He disappeared Feb 96, and was 66 years old. So he would be dressed for cold Washington weather. The news article doesn't give a height for the body found.

http://www.nampn.doenetwork.org/cases/wykel.html

Another one age 56 at time of disappearance w/mental problems.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/rvblack.html

Missing Jan 1997, Gerald Rhine also has a prominent nose, age 41.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/rhine_gerald.html

But this one I think has the nose, and long face, Augustine Dellea, missing Jan 1998, age 51.
http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/dellea_augustine.html

[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][SIZE=-1]Possible Match #2[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]

[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida]http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1295dmca.html[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida]Gary Lee Humphrey
Missing since February 25, 1991 from Warner Springs, San Diego County, California.

Vital Statistics[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida]* Date Of Birth: September 18, 1940[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida]* Age at Time of Disappearance: 50 years old[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida]* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'11"; 210 lbs.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida]* Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Grey hair; blue eyes.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida]* Dentals: Not available[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida]Circumstances of Disappearance[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida]Humphrey was last seen February 25, 1991 in Warner Springs, CA. Foul play is suspected. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida]*****************************[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida]Stats are right, Estimate is late 1990s for remains but he disappeared in early 1990s, pic is close but its a really bad pic! Also if foul play really did happen would someone take him to such an out of the way place?[/FONT]
[/SIZE]

Douglas Alan Davis
Missing since March 21, 1995 from San Marcos, San Diego County, California.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: June 19, 1955
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 39 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'11"; 140 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Red hair; blue eyes.
* Clothing: Black windbreaker, blue jeans, black baseball cap, running shoes.
* Dentals: Available
Although the stats match I don't think this is the guy because California has an excellent dental matching program, and since this guy's dentals are available they've probably been checked against the John Doe... who had "bad teeth"

Douglas Davis sure looks like a match to me. They have his dentals, I wonder if the skull has anything left to work with?

Sadie Mae thank you for the great options - I want to comment on them but I need some time to review. I especially liked the last one!

For me, if dentals are available, I'm eliminating them because of Californias dental search program.

Also I have to consider where he was found. I think he would have had to get there voluntairly as it sounds remote. Even if people are considered to have died of "foul play" wouldn't necessairly eliminate them in my mind, as they could have run off until things cooled down. I just can't see someone dumping the body there.

Lastly, although it doesn't mention it in the article I posted, a previous article said he was 5'11"

Stats on John Doe:
Height: 5'11"
Eyes: Unknown
Hair: Unknown
Weight: Unknown (Too bad they didn't give us the pant size!)
Found in Dec 2002 - Estimated death at least 5 years before (1997)

John Doe had "bad teeth" so have to think they have enough to compare with. I've read that even one tooth can be distinctive enough to "lead to" and ID.

Personally I cringe at "no dental match" from other states, but California is one state that does not rely on the NCIC computer. They have their own dental comparison program, and its much more reliable.

[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][SIZE=-1]http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1440dmdc.html[/SIZE][/FONT]

William Barnett Cassada
Missing since November 1989 from Pacific Grove, Monterey County, California
Other: He was later tracked to a shelter in D.C.

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: December 3, 1952
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 37 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'11"-6'3"; 165-185 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Red hair; striking blue eyes.
* Medical: Very depressed; paranoid; in need of medication that he was not taking. He had walking pneumonia at the time of his disappearance.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Cassada was last seen at his parents house in Pacific Grove, California in November 1989. He left their house after showing his mother a bulk of cash. Cassada was paranoid and thought he was working for the CIA.
His family hired private detectives who tracked him to a homeless shelter in D.C.
Cassada has since been declared legally dead, though his body was never found. His case has been closed.

I'm posting this one as I believe the photo looks like the John Doe. I realise William disappeared a lot earlier (1989) but he was originally tracked to a shelter.... is it possible his paranoia and the fact that he thought he worked for the CIA drove him into the woods? Where he died much later than when he first went missing?

Also I don't know something. If someone is declared legally dead, and their case is CLOSED, are they then removed from the Missing Person's database?

I posted below after reviewing each of your suggestions SadieMae, again, thank you for your input!

SadieMae said:
I found this man, Robert J Wykel. What struck me was the nose on the photo. He disappeared Feb 96, and was 66 years old. So he would be dressed for cold Washington weather. The news article doesn't give a height for the body found.
http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/wykel.html
Robert J Wykel was a really flashy guy. Kinda hard to believe that he'd be wearing lots of diamonds and a cheap watch. Also he was last seen in Washington - but could have travelled to California to see if there was a vintage car he was interested in. Why find him in the boonies though? Maybe he got mugged while in California and had amnesia?

The photo does look similiar to the John Doe, and the other stats match. Also I don't see any mention of dentals being available... so if they weren't then it might not have been possible to match this man to the John Doe?
wykel_robert.jpg

SadieMae said:
Another one age 56 at time of disappearance w/mental problems.
http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/rvblack.html
Robert Vincent Black
RVBlack1.jpg

He has the right head shape... and the stats match, except he's listed as being 6'1", which is 3" taller than the John Doe estimate. There is very little information on him (he's not listed on the Doe Network even though he disappeared in 1996, for example). None of the sites I visited say anything about dentals so to me its an open possibility!

SadieMae said:
Missing Jan 1997, Gerald Rhine also has a prominent nose, age 41.
http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/rhine_gerald.html
Gerald Raymond Rhine
rhine_gerald.jpg

He fits the whole thing... Stats say he was 6 feet which is only one inch taller than the estimate for John Doe... Nothing about dentals mentioned on any of the sites I visited. It might be the photo, but his face looks to "rounded", and he looks youngish, when compared to the reconstruction... but then, that might just be the photo, or they may have aged the reconstruction too much. He was 41 when he went missing.

SadieMae said:
But this one I think has the nose, and long face, Augustine Dellea, missing Jan 1998, age 51.
http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/dellea_augustine.html
Augustine John Dellea
dellea_augustine.jpg

This photo "spoke" to me most. Again the sites I saw didn't mention dentals. Stats match, he's 6 feet, which is 1" more than the estimate for John Doe. Since he's a voluntary missing, from California perhaps he went up into the woods for a reason?

I think I'm going to email a link to this thread, so that the people who are trying to identify the John Doe can have our input. The worse they could do is :laugh:at our efforts... but somehow I don't think they will.

What do you think of the JM Lacey on his garment? I tried doing a search and came up with nothing. I even thought maybe it was a clothing company, but nada... Do they know for sure that the JOB is from the brand name, or could this be initials? The middle looks like a diamond shape, not an "O". The sweater looks rather nice. I wonder what quality it is. Anyone know the cost of the watch? Might help determining his social status. Bad dental work doesn't mean a whole lot.

When I saw the "JM LACEY" on the pants I thought it looked more like a brand than a personalized tag identifying an individual's clothes. Same as you though, when I searched I came up empty.

It looks like the clothing was "of better quality", unfortunately that doesn't really mean anything as people often give really good clothes away, after a loved on passes on. He could have got them in a used clothing shop, or for free, from a shelter.

I too thought the JOB on the case looked like initials, but they know when the case was last manufactured so I'd say it isn't a "personalized" item.... of course the guys initials could be J.O.B. and that's why he held on to it so long!

The Doe Network today updated their page on this man and they updated the Estimated Date of Death: 1998 - 2000
so unfortunately may of the possiblilities we listed are now too old to fit the time window.

They also, very kindly, added an link to the coroner's website - which lists contacts names and methods to contact.

The new estimated Date of Death kinda elimates some of the earlier missing people that were posted here....

I never got a "confirmation email" that they received my original suggestions... because of the holidays that's not unusual..... I will follow up in the new year with a "Did you get this" message (sent to the new info listed on the Doe Network), if I don't hear back.

I may answer a couple of posts from different people in this one post of my own. I hope it doesn't get too confusing.

The JM Lacey does seem to be interesting clue. But I don't know that it is the mans name. It might be that someone donated clothes to a local church or salvation army clothing drive. So finding someone of that name who donated clothing might at least tell us what area he got the pants from and that might indicate where to start asking around to see if anyone recognizes the pic.

To that end I looked up a few names I guessed at John M Lacey or John Michael Lacey (so far) and although I am still looking here are a couple interesting finds:
John M. Lacey
Ernst & Young Research Fellow, Professor of Accountancy, School of Business, California State University, Long Beach
http://www.analysisgroup.com/AnalysisGroup/experts.aspx?id=1132
Note:There is a pic.
http://www.analysisgroup.com/AnalysisGroup/uploadedImages/About_Us/Experts_and_Staff/Affiliated_Experts/Lacey_John.jpg
He has a long face and without hair and mustache could be a relative of the reconstructed guy. Or maybe he just donated clothing somewhere. Who knows.
Also I found:
Response to ADVISORY TEAM 55 RACH CHIA 1970/71

I was a MAT Team leader starting in March 1971. Worked at an old Navy Location on the road to the cement plant for 3 months then south to the U Minh Forest. Spent the last few months teaching the RF/Pf how to call artillery
http://www.network54.com/Forum/54148/message/1023923146/Rach+Gia+1971+-72
DDG-17 John M. Lacey Jr FTM/E-6 Oct 69-May 74 lpgroup@erols.com
Tin Can Sailors Shipmate Registry
USS Conyngham
http://www.destroyers.org/smrdd/USS_Conyngham.html

Also it is possible that the stamp was a name brand although after seeing the pic I don't think that likely in this case.
About Lacey Mills, Inc.
Lacey Mills is a privately held 65 year-old, full service manufacturer and importer of bath and accent rugs located in Cartersville, GA. Lacey distributes products in all sectors of the retail and institutional markets both domestically and internationally.

About Dockers®
The Dockers® brand changed the menswear category in 1986 by providing an alternative to jeans and dress pants. The Dockers® brand has since expanded from men’s casual pants to a complete offering of stylish, comfortable and versatile lifestyle products including head-to-toe wardrobe items for men, women, boys and girls, eyewear and a wide range of products for the home. . . .
http://www.levistrauss.com/news/pressrelease.asp?r=1&c=0&cat=0&pr=666&area=Americas

This man went missing in October of 1997, in Arizona. That would match the original estimated date of death, but not the revised date listed on the Doe Network. The available stats match.
(remember: Nose, ears, eyes, lips and haircolor are artist's estimates)

Randy Scott Chadburn
Missing since October 23, 1997 from Arivaca, Pima County, Arizona

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: April 25, 1956
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 41 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'09"; 160 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; brown eyes.
* Marks, Scars: Numerous tattoos on right and left arms.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1816dmaz.html

****There is no mention of an arthritic shoulder, doesn't mean he didn't have that problem though.

Edited to add: I started a new thread about Mr. Chadburn, its located here: AZ AZ - Randy Scott Chadburn, 41, Arivaca, 23 Oct 1997 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

They aren't really sure when Mr. Bresson went missing - it could be before 1997, or after. The missing date on the Doe Network is the date he was reported missing.

Because there is a resemblance I've posted the info on this thread, but he would most likely be in the "early window", not the revised death estimate for John Doe.

Mr. Bresson is also 2" taller than John Doe and there is no reported injury to Mr. Bresson's shoulder (doesn't mean it doesn't exist). Mr. Bresson was living in a recreational vehicle camper so in my mind it is possible he ended up in the wilderness voluntairly.

I could find no other information about him other than the two sources listed on the Doe Network. I don't think it is him but posting the information as reference.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1821dmia.html

Robert Bresson

Reported missing on January 14, 1997 from Why, Pima County, Arizona to authorities in Independence, Buchanan County, Iowa

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: March 9, 1939
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 57 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'3"; 250 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Gray hair; may have a moustache, beard or a goatee.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1047dmca.html

John F. Ward
Missing since August 30, 1994 from Chatsworth, Los Angeles County, California.

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: June 15, 1926
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 68 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0"; 210 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. White hair; brown eyes.
* Dentals: X-rays are available.
* Clothing: He wore an aqua sweatshirt, kaki shorts, maroon socks, walking shoes, and a medic alert bracelet.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Ward was last seen August 30, 1994 in Chatsworth, CA.
Ward, an avid hiker, set out on foot from his Chatsworth home for a sporting goods store a couple of miles away. John, who had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease five years earlier, apparently forgot his way home.
He had disappeared twice before. Once, authorities found him near Magic Mountain, a hike of more than 20 miles.
A day or two after John's disappearance, an equestrian exchanged greetings with a man lying near a log in Brown's Canyon, in those same foothills he often hiked. More than four hours later, she was surprised to see the man lying on another log nearby. Shown a photo of John Ward by Los Angeles police, the woman said she was almost certain that was the man she'd seen in the hills. But searches over the next two days turned up nothing.

1. There is a resemblence to the reconstruction.
2. Mr. Ward is within the height estimate BUT is 8 years older than the maximum age in the estimate.
3. Mr. Ward would have had to travel, by vehicle, over 5 hours to get to where John Doe was found. No clothing matches, but Mr. Ward went missing in August - its possible he picked up the warmer clothing at a shelter.

http://www.nampn.doenetwork.org/cases/wykel.html

Mr. Wykel IS the victim of a homicide, police believe, and a suspect has been arrested. His remains have not been found however. There is considerable renewed interest in his case. You can read several articles here
http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=10237&st=0&
including one from 1996.
We still need to find him.

working Doe Network link for this UID:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/729umca.html

could not find a Namus profile for the UID.

here is an intriguing possible match, Brian Jack Deese. per his Namus and Doe Network profiles, Brian was 42 y.o., 6'0" tall, and most importanly had prior surgery to his right shoulder, had psychiatric issues when he was last seen in or around Lake Tahoe in August 1996.

while the deceased was wearing clothes that would not be consistent with someone walking away from Lake Tahoe in August, that does not preclude him from having wandered around a bit.

for those able to do side by side pics, Brian seems to have an elongated face as does the UID.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1555dmca.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/3910/8/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow