1239 users online (176 members and 1063 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Trump budget proposal cuts safety net programs, boosts defense spending

May 23 2017, 8:43 am ET

Trump Budget Would Cut Safety Net Programs, Boost Defense Spending

by Benjy Sarlin

President Donald Trump's 2018 budget proposal includes sweeping cuts to social spending for low-income Americans, including entitlement programs that the president promised to protect as a candidate, while boosting defense spending.

White House budget director Mick Mulvaney briefed reporters on the blueprint Monday, which seeks to eliminate the deficit in 10 years while avoiding cuts to Medicare and Social Security retirement benefits. The full budget is scheduled to come out on Tuesday morning.

"This is, I think, the first time in a long time the administration has written a budget through the eyes of the people paying the taxes," Mulvaney told reporters.

It would accomplish its savings goals via deep cuts to other safety-net programs. At the same time, it assumes that the White House's agenda of repealing Obamacare, reforming the tax code and investing in infrastructure will become law and unleash an economic boom that would further reduce deficits by $2 trillion over the next decade...

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whit...ending-n763236

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Trump’s Budget Cuts Deeply Into Medicaid and Anti-Poverty Efforts

By JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVISMAY 22, 2017

WASHINGTON — President Trump plans to unveil on Tuesday a $4.1 trillion budget for 2018 that would cut deeply into programs for the poor, from health care and food stamps to student loans and disability payments, laying out an austere vision for reordering the nation’s priorities.

The document, grandly titled “A New Foundation for American Greatness,” encapsulates much of the “America first” message that powered Mr. Trump’s campaign. It calls for an increase in military spending of 10 percent and spending more than $2.6 billion for border security — including $1.6 billion to begin work on a wall on the border with Mexico — as well as huge tax reductions and an improbable promise of 3 percent economic growth...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/22/u...dayspaper&_r=0

Trump administration sending Congress $4.1T budget

Andrew Taylor and Martin Crutsinger, Associated Press 7:22 a.m. ET May 23, 2017

Washington — President Donald Trump Tuesday is unveiling a $4.1 trillion spending plan that relies on faster economic growth and steep cuts to programs for the poor in a bid to balance the government’s books over the next decade.

The proposed 2018 budget was already under attack by Democrats and even some of GOP allies declared it dead on arrival. The proposal is laced with cuts to domestic agencies, food stamps, Medicaid, highway funding and medical research.

“It’ll face a tough sled here,” said veteran Rep. Harold Rogers, R-Ky. The Senate’s No. 2 Republican, John Cornyn of Texas, said the Trump plan joins a tradition of White House budgets that are “basically dead on arrival.” ...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...get/102045972/

Entitlement programs need to be cut.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.

Quote Originally Posted by jc8825 View Post

Really? Why? People are already under the five year rule re welfare.

Quote Originally Posted by jc8825 View Post

Matthew 25:35-40 For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you took care of Me;
    I was in prison and you visited Me. “Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or without clothes and clothe You? When did we see You sick, or in prison, and visit You? “And the King will answer them, ‘I assure you: Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’

Matthew 19:21-22 If you want to be perfect, Jesus said to him, “go, sell your belongings and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.” When the young man heard that command, he went away grieving, because he had many possessions.

Galatians 6:2 Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

Proverbs 14:31 Whoever mistreats the poor insults their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.

Proverbs 29:7 Good people care about justice for the poor, but the wicked are not concerned.

Proverbs 21:13 Whoever ignores the poor when they cry for help will also cry for help and not be answered.

Luke 6:38 Give, and it will be given to you; a good measure—pressed down, shaken together, and running over—will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.

Matthew 25:41-45 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
    To understand the soul of a horse is the closest we humans can come to knowing perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by sorrell skye View Post
    Matthew 25:35-40 For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you took care of Me;
    I was in prison and you visited Me. “Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or without clothes and clothe You? When did we see You sick, or in prison, and visit You? “And the King will answer them, ‘I assure you: Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’

Matthew 19:21-22 If you want to be perfect, Jesus said to him, “go, sell your belongings and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.” When the young man heard that command, he went away grieving, because he had many possessions.

Galatians 6:2 Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

Proverbs 14:31 Whoever mistreats the poor insults their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.

Proverbs 29:7 Good people care about justice for the poor, but the wicked are not concerned.

Proverbs 21:13 Whoever ignores the poor when they cry for help will also cry for help and not be answered.

Luke 6:38 Give, and it will be given to you; a good measure—pressed down, shaken together, and running over—will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.

Matthew 25:41-45 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
    Exactly. It is clear. Why do people not understand this?

Those that claim to be Christian. It is good advice for anyone, though

May 23 2017, 1:46 pm ET

Trump’s Budget Will Hit These States the Hardest

by Sam Petulla

The Trump administration unveiled a budget for 2018 on Tuesday that seeks to overhaul many of the country's safety-net programs for low-income and struggling Americans. Though these cuts are popular among Republican lawmakers, they affect programs that are actually more commonly used in Republican-leaning states than in Democratic ones, and that in many cases benefit white voters without college degrees — a demographic group that strongly supported President Donald Trump in the 2016 election.

The programs experiencing the deepest cuts provide assistance for health care services to children, the poor and disabled, and that supplement food and housing for those with low incomes. Most of the programs were created decades ago by Democratic presidents.

The president's budget reduces funding to the current welfare system and would impose more stringent work requirements as a condition of receiving benefits. The work requirement is popular among conservative think-tanks and has been frequently promoted by House Speaker Paul Ryan. The budget remains a wish list, however; many of its more draconian provisions are not widely popular in Congress and are considered likely to be rejected or changed...

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/dona...ardest-n763261

Quote Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
    May 23 2017, 1:46 pm ET

Trump’s Budget Will Hit These States the Hardest

by Sam Petulla

The Trump administration unveiled a budget for 2018 on Tuesday that seeks to overhaul many of the country's safety-net programs for low-income and struggling Americans. Though these cuts are popular among Republican lawmakers, they affect programs that are actually more commonly used in Republican-leaning states than in Democratic ones, and that in many cases benefit white voters without college degrees — a demographic group that strongly supported President Donald Trump in the 2016 election.

The programs experiencing the deepest cuts provide assistance for health care services to children, the poor and disabled, and that supplement food and housing for those with low incomes. Most of the programs were created decades ago by Democratic presidents.

The president's budget reduces funding to the current welfare system and would impose more stringent work requirements as a condition of receiving benefits. The work requirement is popular among conservative think-tanks and has been frequently promoted by House Speaker Paul Ryan. The budget remains a wish list, however; many of its more draconian provisions are not widely popular in Congress and are considered likely to be rejected or changed...

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/dona...ardest-n763261
    Do we need to look at the map or is it safe to assume the states Trump carried easily will be the hardest hit?

Why Trump's budget can't pass Congress
    Here's 5 reasons why

By DEIRDRE WALSH AND TED BARRETT , CNN

Posted: 2:47 PM, May 23, 2017
    Updated: 2:59 PM, May 23, 2017

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Donald Trump's first full budget request was formally delivered Tuesday to Congress.

There were photo-ops and a public push from the administration to tout its plan as evidence it is doing what the billionaire businessman turned reality star said he would do during the 2016 campaign: Slash federal programs and balance the budget.

Republicans have argued a GOP president would help them implement policies they have pushed for years, but Trump's budget blueprint will largely be ignored by the GOP-controlled Congress.

"Almost every president's budget proposal that I know of is basically dead on arrival," Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said bluntly Monday, just hours before the budget release.

Here's five reasons why...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/p...-pass-congress

May 23 2017, 2:57 pm ET

Trump’s Budget Assumes ‘Unrealistic’ Economic Growth, Say Experts

by Lucy Bayly

President Donald Trump's first budget is optimistic, to say the least. His entire plan rests on the idea that the nation's economy will grow at an annual rate of at least 3 percent — almost double the country's 1.6 percent growth in 2016, and a pace that hasn't been seen in almost 20 years.

Balancing such a budget would only work "if you believe in tooth fairies," said former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers. Others describe it as "reverse Robin Hood" for slashing $3.6 trillion from assistance programs while increasing defense spending...

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/econ...xperts-n763666

"Reverse Robin Hood" is what I've been saying for days - the anti-Robin Hood who steals from the poor to reward the rich.

But the Republican "base" (evangelicals) supports this bill, all the while extolling their moral superiority & "family values".

Sadducees & Pharisees - every last one of them.
    To understand the soul of a horse is the closest we humans can come to knowing perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    Do we need to look at the map or is it safe to assume the states Trump carried easily will be the hardest hit?
    Electoral map: http://www.270towin.com/maps/2016-actual-electoral-map

Poor, disabled losers in Trump budget; military wins

Stephen Ohlemacher, Associated Press 8:40 p.m. ET May 23, 2017

Washington — The poor and the disabled are big losers in President Donald Trump’s $4.1 trillion budget proposal while the Pentagon is a big winner.

Trump’s plan for the budget year beginning Oct. 1 makes deep cuts in safety net programs, including Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program. The proposal also includes big cuts in Social Security’s disability program.

Defense spending and border security would get significant boosts.

The winners and losers...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ers/102083000/

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...get-eliminates

Here Are The 66 Programs That Trump's Budget Eliminates

Agriculture Department — $855 million

Commerce Department — $633 million

Education Department — $4.976 billion

Energy Department — $398 million

Health and Human Services — $4.834 billion

Homeland Security — $235 million

Housing and Urban Development — $4.123 billion

Interior Department — $122 million