701 users online (78 members and 623 guests)  

Websleuths News

AK -Leg with Boot fnd in Gastineau Channel near Sandy Beach, May '17

Human remains were discovered in the Gastineau Channel near Sandy Beach early Monday evening, according to a release from Juneau Police Department (JPD).

The Alaska Department of Fish and Game was dredging debris from the channel and found a human leg and boot shortly before 5 p.m.
    http://www.ktva.com/human-remains-fo...u-channel-940/
    The Alaska Department of Fish and Game was conducting debris removal on Douglas Island, between Sandy Beach and Lucky Me, a community about a mile from the end of the road that is accessible only by water, according to Juneau Police Department Lt. David Campbell.

The workers were using a dredger that operates like a claw to drag debris from the bottom of the channel, Campbell said.

A JPD officer responded to the area and took possession of the leg and boot; the leg, which was from the knee down, was subsequently sent to the State Medical Examiner’s Office for potential identification.

The condition of the leg made it difficult to determine who it might have come from, or how long the leg might have been in the water, Campbell said.

“We have no idea of the gender or the race,” he said. He declined to provide any specifics about the boot.
    http://juneauempire.com/news/2017-05...ar-sandy-beach
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21

Is that a picture of the actual boot? When I click on the link it says "shutterstock" under the pic....

is this close to any place where fisherman work? I know ppl who travel to be fisherman in AK. its dangerous work sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by cvaldez1975 View Post
    is this close to any place where fisherman work? I know ppl who travel to be fisherman in AK. its dangerous work sometimes.
    The Alaska Department of Fish and Game was conducting debris removal on Douglas Island, between Sandy Beach and Lucky Me, a community about a mile from the end of the road that is accessible only by water.

The workers were using a dredger that operates like a claw to drag debris from the bottom of the channel. The department periodically conducts debris removal and was not looking for anything specifically.

There could be more remains in the channel, police said, “My understanding is they found the leg and stopped dredging.”

JPD does not have a dive team and the investigator is trying to figure out the logistics of searching the area further, possibly with a dive team from another department or with a remotely operated vehicle.

http://juneauempire.com/news/2017-05...ar-sandy-beach

Quote Originally Posted by Gardener1850 View Post
    Is that a picture of the actual boot? When I click on the link it says "shutterstock" under the pic....
    Now that you point it out, I don't think so. I checked other MSM sources and no one posted this picture.

Police spokesman Lt. David Campbell said Wednesday that eight people have been reported missing in Juneau in recent years: three each in 2016 and 2014, plus two in 2012. Officers have contacted some family members in those cases to tell them about Monday's discovery, off Sandy Beach on Douglas Island.

"We are looking into (reports) going back to the '80s as to who this person was," Campbell said.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017...ed-off-juneau/