817 users online (89 members and 728 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ann Arbor restaurant says ICE agents ate breakfast then detained 3 workers

http://s.mlive.com/yDbF53W

"ICE agents were in the restaurant, 216 S. State, around 11:30 a.m. and had breakfast before entering the kitchen area, where they took three people into custody, said owner Sava Lelcaj. She was not in the restaurant at the time."

"Instead, the agents started to question kitchen workers and apprehended three people who were taken to ICE's Detroit office, Lelcaj said. Those people are now being released, she said Wednesday afternoon."

"While those taken into custody do have the proper documents to work in the country, they did not have the papers on hand when the agents were at Sava's, she said. Her team is now working to send that documentation to the Detroit ICE office where the individuals were taken."

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

How rude is that?

From the headline, I expected to read that the employees do not have proper documents and were here working illegally. When I got to the end, I was dumbfounded. What a frightening time for immigrants, refugees, and minority Americans to think you can be questioned at any time to have to prove your citizenship just by the way you look or talk.

I'm in that place all the time. It's normal for ICE to come through and check documents ... the owner was not there at time. The documents were more than likely locked in office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of these articles must be updated .... thus earlier one is almost identical to the OP, but there is one difference:
    http://www.mlive.com/business/ann-ar...rbor_rest.html

ANN ARBOR, MI - Carlos Rivera-Ochoa says his permanent resident card is always on him, tucked in his wallet, in case he needs to prove his identity and his ability to work in the United States.
    It did not prevent him from being handcuffed and placed in a government vehicle when U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers arrived at Sava's Restaurant around 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday, May 24, in Ann Arbor.

----
    https://detroit.eater.com/2017/5/24/...e-raid-arrestsStilwell says that Sava’s parent restaurant group Savco Hospitality works “very hard to be compliant with all of our employees.” Each of the employees at the restaurant was fully documented and “all of the information they provided was deemed accurate to the best of our abilities.”

"At Websleuths we take pride in being a notch above the rest. " Harmony2, WS
    * *. * * *. *. *. *
    Justice for Julia Niswender, murdered 12/10/2012, unsolved
    Justice for Christopher Preston 9/7/2013 - 10/10/2014; LWOP for Joseph Adams
    Chelsea Bruck, missing 10/26/2014, found 4/24/2015 ; Daniel Clay-Guilty Felony Murder/concealing body 5/16/2017
    Find Eric Franks (40) Missing from Bridgeport, MI since March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Momma2cam View Post
    From the headline, I expected to read that the employees do not have proper documents and were here working illegally. When I got to the end, I was dumbfounded. What a frightening time for immigrants, refugees, and minority Americans to think you can be questioned at any time to have to prove your citizenship just by the way you look or talk.

I will never find the link now, but a few years ago a woman in Georgia was held in jail overnight for speeding. She had her GA driver's license and her PR card on her when she was pulled over.

Sometimes people get a little power and they like to be jerks with it.

Quote Originally Posted by thekarmabus View Post
    I'm in that place all the time. It's normal for ICE to come through and check documents ... the owner was not there at time. The documents were more than likely locked in office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, I'm sure they were locked in the office. That's why it is very concerning that they moved forward with detaining them, even when at least one showed his green card.

I-9s (Employment Eligibility Forms) should be locked away with limited access. They contain a lot of private information that could easily be used for identity theft.

There is a proper procedure to follow when USCIS comes to inspect I-9s, both on the part of USCIS and the employer:
    https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/re...on/inspections

How many of us carry on our person 24/7 the necessary IDs that would prove we are eligible to work in the US?
    I sure don't carry my passport or my drivers' license and Social Security card on my person. I only carry my license.
    Of course, I'm white, so unlikely to be targeted by USCIS.

This intimidation has got to stop.
    Jill can't find last year's taxes either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysia View Post
    I-9s (Employment Eligibility Forms) should be locked away with limited access. They contain a lot of private information that could easily be used for identity theft.

There is a proper procedure to follow when USCIS comes to inspect I-9s, both on the part of USCIS and the employer:

How many of us carry on our person 24/7 the necessary IDs that would prove we are eligible to work in the US?
    I sure don't carry my passport or my drivers' license and Social Security card on my person. I only carry my license.

If I am not the one driving, I may not even have my license with me. That would be rare, but it has happened. It is always in my purse. I sure don't carry it around to cut the lawn or walk the pets around the block.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/..._arbor_re.html
    ICE says 3 men arrrested were in US illegally
    Three individuals remain in federal custody after Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents detained a group of men at Sava's Restaurant in Ann Arbor on Wednesday, May 24, the agency confirmed.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2017/05/second_ice_arrest_reported_in.html
    Another ICE arrest in Ann Arbor (here illegally since 2003)

Three people were in ICE custody after a targeted enforcement action at Sava's Restaurant in Ann Arbor.

Karina Valle said she and her husband contacted lawyers in recent months for aid rectifying his legal status, but he has now been issued a deportation order and lawyers have given her little hope it can be fought.
    * *. * * *. *. *. *
    Chelsea Bruck, missing 10/26/2014, found 4/24/2015 ; Daniel Clay-Guilty Felony Murder/concealing body 5/16/2017

I absolutely believe that the owner didn't know.

Unless an employer participates in the relatively new e-Verify system (which costs $ to participate in), it's basically honor system. An employer 'visually inspects' the person's documents and in good faith attests that they 'appear' to be valid.

My husband has a green card, thanks to moi lol, and he carries it to cut the grass; ya better believe it. Yours truly will slip a bus pass and my white privilege into my pocket when I go for a walk. Profiling is worse than unfortunate, particularly because we use (depend upon) the labor and don't make green card pathways.
    Always remembering Liz ~

Quote Originally Posted by waitin'4thewrld2chg View Post
    My husband has a green card, thanks to moi lol, and he carries it to cut the grass; ya better believe it. Yours truly will slip a bus pass and my white privilege into my pocket when I go for a walk. Profiling is worse than unfortunate, particularly because we use (depend upon) the labor and don't make green card pathways.
    I find it terrible we have to feel so paranoid .... my mind would constantly be racing and I would be so upset if I set my "cards" or wallet down and forgot where it was. Lordy, I can get anxious and worried over losing a piece of mail or a specific item of clothing. I cannot imagine my level of anxiety if it was something so important I could be (possibly) sent to another country for just forgetting or losing it.

I must say, I was not too good at paying attention or thinking about immigration concerns, but this thread is really opening my eyes.
    * *. * * *. *. *. *

I hate that we aren't very far away from "Your papers, please."

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysia View Post

I just asked my husband (who lived and worked in the US as an immigrant/permanent resident) - he said he carried his green card (and driver's license, social security card) with him at all times, but not his passport. He's read too many horror stories.

I remember living in Germany it was weird to make sure I had my ID on me at all times. Aren't we proud as Americans no one can randomly ask us, "Your papers please?" I often go out without any ID but after being a Websleuths member for a few years it happens less often! I only carry my Canadian PR card with me when I'm crossing the border.

I'd be more likely to carry IDs so that I can be identified if something awful happens to me rather than because I'd be afraid of LE or ICE asking me if I was legal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast