1111 users online (151 members and 960 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

NO SAFE SPACES: The documentary

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-movie-1007546

Comedian and podcaster Adam Carolla and radio host Dennis Prager have been filming their movie about political correctness at universities for several months, but now they have launched a crowdfunding campaign to pay for the documentary.

A three-minute video pitch to raise money at Indiegogo features a faux college administrator declaring: "Our commitment to diversity means that nobody graduates until they think just the right way."
    https://www.**************/projects/...e-university#/

College used to be a place where young people went to broaden their horizons, have some fun, and graduate with a degree that prepared them for the world. But now, if you don’t think the right way or use the right words, you may end up being protested or thrown out of school. What the heck happened?

Adam Carolla and Dennis Prager will tell you exactly what happened in a new film that exposes the most dangerous place in America for ideas and debate: The college campus.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGa...JeWBG5ZcyDyHWw

http://adamcarolla.com/nosafespaces/

The fallacy of white privilege is that some think its a prejudice or bias.

It's not!!!! It is not something one gets to hold over or has/has not. IT JUST IS.

A perfect IRL example today is the folks at the Ann Arbor restaurant...Americans working at their job, but IF you are white you don't have to worry about ICE coming into your office/place of business and question you. ICE came in and questions "non whites" about their documents.

I feel so bad that people don't really understand white privilege.

I'll give my examples here...

An abled bodied person doesn't have to think about ramps or accessibility. They just go where they want to "with out thought" it doesn't mean they are prejudice against disabled folks.

Heterosexual privilege - they get to kiss their mates in public without fear of what others think, asks strangers to take their picture on vacation without thinking the person would refuse or feel disgusted etc.

White privilege - one can carry on their day without thinking about ICE as in the Ann Arbor case.

Please I implore thinking rational people to get this. Its not saying white people think they are better or actively have prejudice or bias. It's been studied since the 60's-70's and those in academia are actually surprised that today is is used politically.
    Last edited by LaneGirl; 05-25-2017 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaneGirl View Post

It's not!!!! It is not something one gets to hold over or has/has not. IT JUST IS.

A perfect IRL example today is the folks at the Ann Arbor restaurant...Americans working at their job, but IF you are white you don't have to worry about ICE coming into your office/place of business and question you. ICE came in and questions "non whites" about their documents.

Why would you say that whites don't have to worry about ICE? I know many 'white' people who have overstayed their visas from Canada and Sweden and Australia. Their so called white privilege does not keep them from getting sent home.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Why would you say that whites don't have to worry about ICE? I know many 'white' people who have overstayed their visas from Canada and Sweden and Australia. Their so called white privilege does not keep them from getting sent home.
    You have links? I don't hear about these folks to be honest here in America.

BUT as a totally separate point "white privilege" IS NOT what people think it is. Its not saying people are "better" than others.

Its something that happens to "white's" without them even knowing or thinking about. Back to my "abled bodied" or "hetrosesexual" privilege. It's not something we can compare or try to defend. IT JUST IS. This has been studied. Academia is baffled it is now being used politically.

It's not saying "whites think they are better" and actually its' so bizzare folks think that.

I'll give my examples here...

An abled bodied person doesn't have to think about ramps or accessibility. They just go where they want to "with out thought" it doesn't mean they are prejudice against disabled folks.

Heterosexual privilege - they get to kiss their mates in public without fear of what others think, asks strangers to take their picture on vacation without thinking the person would refuse or feel disgusted etc.

White privilege - one can carry on their day without thinking about ICE as in the Ann Arbor case.

Please I implore thinking rational people to get this. Its not saying white people think they are better or actively have prejudice or bias. It's been studied since the 60's-70's and those in academia are actually surprised that today is is used politically.
    Thank you!

People don't seem to understand you can't argue away white privilege. It's not up for debate! If you are white you benefit from white privilege, period.
    Silence means security, silence means approval.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    Thank you!

People don't seem to understand you can't argue away white privilege. It's not up for debate! If you are white you benefit from white privilege, period.
    I am so disheartened and actually saddend that some people try to make it more than it really is.

Ya know, NO ONE decides what color they're born. NO ONE has any say as to whether they're beautiful or otherwise. NO ONE has any say into what socio-economic circumstances they're born. NO ONE has any say as to where they're born.

So why do we judge other humans so harshly?

FREE SPEECH is the issue here, not "privilege"

Wow. Not sure how the thread became so derailed after only a few posts, but the topic is a documentary that explores the restrictions on free speech using various justifications-- and the implementation of "SAFE SPACES" as a technique to stifle and suppress *any* opinions or speech that liberals/ progressives don't "agree with".

This thread is about a "free speech" issue, not a "privilege" issue, and the "coddling" and "entitlement" of those that "demand" Safe Spaces on their university campuses-- so that they will not be exposed to any ideas or ideologies that they do not agree with. Their "strategy" is to label any dissenting opinions as "hate speech" and advocate for the suppression of opposing ideas. However, there are no "carve outs" for speech one doesn't agree with in the first amendment.

But FWIW, that whole "privilege"/ "white privilege" issue has been beaten to death here in other threads. (I doubt any minds were changed in that debate!)

I am so disheartened and actually saddend that some people try to make it more than it really is.
    Who is trying to make it more than it really is?
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

I started to watch the white privilege man, but all the braying laughing of the audience put me right off it.

What was funny, that they were all s******ing and laughing just at the thought of white privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Z View Post
    Wow. Not sure how the thread became so derailed after only a few posts, but the topic is a documentary that explores the restrictions on free speech using various justifications-- and the implementation of "SAFE SPACES" as a technique to stifle and suppress *any* opinions or speech that liberals/ progressives don't "agree with".

This thread is about a "free speech" issue, not a "privilege" issue, and the "coddling" and "entitlement" of those that "demand" Safe Spaces on their university campuses-- so that they will not be exposed to any ideas or ideologies that they do not agree with. Their "strategy" is to label any dissenting opinions as "hate speech" and advocate for the suppression of opposing ideas. However, there are no "carve outs" for speech one doesn't agree with in the first amendment.

But FWIW, that whole "privilege"/ "white privilege" issue has been beaten to death here in other threads. (I doubt any minds were changed in that debate!)
    Really? It was documentary? I must be strange but I expect documentaries to have facts, not ridiculing anecdotes from people laughing their heads off.
    Documentary my a***e.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Z View Post

Derailed the posting of a "white privilege" video? Katie I honestly respect you and your opinion but this is really not fair.

Is s n i g g e r a forbidden word?

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Who is trying to make it more than it really is?
    Adam Corolla trying to discuss "white privilege" against a black collegiate. It IS SO NOT what the white privilege study is about. Katie I respect you and your opinion so much but this is not what white privilege is.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast