823 users online (121 members and 702 guests)  

Websleuths News

Talking Pope Sporting A Santa Hat

LOL!!!!! How cool!!!!!!! And a very inspiration article along with it, to remind us to overcome our fears and trust God.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

I thought it was cool, too. A throwback to St. Nicholas!!!

I can only think of six saints that are (widely) venerated by Catholics & Protestants alike:

St. Nicholas
    St. Patrick
    St. Francis of Assisi
    St. Christopher
    St. Valentine
    St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
    I can only think of six saints that are (widely) venerated by Catholics & Protestants alike:

St. Nicholas
    St. Patrick
    St. Francis of Assisi
    St. Christopher
    St. Valentine
    St. Peter
    Most of the apostles are venerated as saints by both Catholics and Protestants (we have lots of St. Mark, St. Luke, etc, Protestant churches around here.)

Not so sure about St. Valentine, since there were several, lol.

The BLessed Virgin Mary is venerated by some Protestants as well.

I will likely think of more, being a former Protestant, lol.

Yes, he did look alot like St. Nicholas with the hat on, hehe.

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

I wonder if the Pope says Merry Christmas or happy holidays.

Ya know... I think he's pretty cool. BTW a little known fact about Benedict. When it was time to move into the Papal apartment, he asked to bring his two stray kittens with him that he had adopted off the streets of Rome earlier in the year. When he was denied bringing his cats, he stated that he would then stay in his pre-Papal apartment. Cats are now living at the Vatican with him ! Its the first time in something like 400 years that a Pope has kept personal pets. !

Quote Originally Posted by NK57
    Ya know... I think he's pretty cool. BTW a little known fact about Benedict. When it was time to move into the Papal apartment, he asked to bring his two stray kittens with him that he had adopted off the streets of Rome earlier in the year. When he was denied bringing his cats, he stated that he would then stay in his pre-Papal apartment. Cats are now living at the Vatican with him ! Its the first time in something like 400 years that a Pope has kept personal pets. !
    Yay Pope Benedict!!!!! Way to go!!!!!!

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Well any man that is a lover of animals especially cats is A OKAY in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    Most of the apostles are venerated as saints by both Catholics and Protestants (we have lots of St. Mark, St. Luke, etc, Protestant churches around here.)

Not so sure about St. Valentine, since there were several, lol.

The BLessed Virgin Mary is venerated by some Protestants as well.

I will likely think of more, being a former Protestant, lol.

Yes, he did look alot like St. Nicholas with the hat on, hehe.
    Most Protestants don't seem to view Mary as a saint, but as a member of the Holy Family, which grants her a higher status that that of the saints in the eyes of many.

Growing up Methodist, the only saints I heard much about were the disciples, and even then they were usually referred to as "The Disciples" and not much was gone into about them once they died, except that St. Peter was supposed to be the gate keeper of Heaven.

I read one of the Books of the Saints a few years back, and was amazed at the astounding array of saints, why they were considered such, and the various things they were supposed to be benefactors to/for.

I remember one saint was a rather foul-tempered monk who died because he yelled at a stonemason working on a cathedral, who apparently took umbrage and bashed his brains out with a hammer. He went on to become a patron saint of stone-cutters for some reason. Another was a monk who was by all accounts mentally defective, but could fly around his room like a bird. But perhaps the most disturbing on the list was St. Rose of Lima (she might have since been purged) who was clearly (at least by modern standards) mentally ill and the same type of teenaged girl who would nowadays be labelled a "cutter".

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    Yay Pope Benedict!!!!! Way to go!!!!!!
    LOL...I agree....WTG!

I think I like this pope.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
    But perhaps the most disturbing on the list was St. Rose of Lima (she might have since been purged) who was clearly (at least by modern standards) mentally ill and the same type of teenaged girl who would nowadays be labelled a "cutter".
    St. Rose of Lima actually is the patroness of the Americas. Many miracles occured following her death attributed to her prayers in heaven, and she was considered a hero by the locals. Calling her mortifications "cutting" is oversimplifying it, in my opinion. Her intent was far different.

I don't know of these other saints of which you speak.

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.