Pope Sporting A Santa Hat

LOL!!!!! How cool!!!!!!! And a very inspiration article along with it, to remind us to overcome our fears and trust God.

I thought it was cool, too. A throwback to St. Nicholas!!!

I can only think of six saints that are (widely) venerated by Catholics & Protestants alike:

St. Nicholas
St. Patrick
St. Francis of Assisi
St. Christopher
St. Valentine
St. Peter

BillyGoatGruff said:
I can only think of six saints that are (widely) venerated by Catholics & Protestants alike:

St. Nicholas
St. Patrick
St. Francis of Assisi
St. Christopher
St. Valentine
St. Peter
Most of the apostles are venerated as saints by both Catholics and Protestants (we have lots of St. Mark, St. Luke, etc, Protestant churches around here.)

Not so sure about St. Valentine, since there were several, lol.

The BLessed Virgin Mary is venerated by some Protestants as well.

I will likely think of more, being a former Protestant, lol.

Yes, he did look alot like St. Nicholas with the hat on, hehe.

:waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec: I wonder if the Pope says Merry Christmas or happy holidays. :waitasec: :waitasec:

Ya know... I think he's pretty cool. BTW a little known fact about Benedict. When it was time to move into the Papal apartment, he asked to bring his two stray kittens with him that he had adopted off the streets of Rome earlier in the year. When he was denied bringing his cats, he stated that he would then stay in his pre-Papal apartment. Cats are now living at the Vatican with him ! :dance: Its the first time in something like 400 years that a Pope has kept personal pets. !

NK57 said:
Ya know... I think he's pretty cool. BTW a little known fact about Benedict. When it was time to move into the Papal apartment, he asked to bring his two stray kittens with him that he had adopted off the streets of Rome earlier in the year. When he was denied bringing his cats, he stated that he would then stay in his pre-Papal apartment. Cats are now living at the Vatican with him ! :dance: Its the first time in something like 400 years that a Pope has kept personal pets. !
Yay Pope Benedict!!!!! Way to go!!!!!! :woohoo:

Well any man that is a lover of animals especially cats is A OKAY in my book :)

Dark Knight said:
Most of the apostles are venerated as saints by both Catholics and Protestants (we have lots of St. Mark, St. Luke, etc, Protestant churches around here.)

Not so sure about St. Valentine, since there were several, lol.

The BLessed Virgin Mary is venerated by some Protestants as well.

I will likely think of more, being a former Protestant, lol.

Yes, he did look alot like St. Nicholas with the hat on, hehe.
Most Protestants don't seem to view Mary as a saint, but as a member of the Holy Family, which grants her a higher status that that of the saints in the eyes of many.

Growing up Methodist, the only saints I heard much about were the disciples, and even then they were usually referred to as "The Disciples" and not much was gone into about them once they died, except that St. Peter was supposed to be the gate keeper of Heaven.

I read one of the Books of the Saints a few years back, and was amazed at the astounding array of saints, why they were considered such, and the various things they were supposed to be benefactors to/for.

I remember one saint was a rather foul-tempered monk who died because he yelled at a stonemason working on a cathedral, who apparently took umbrage and bashed his brains out with a hammer. He went on to become a patron saint of stone-cutters for some reason. Another was a monk who was by all accounts mentally defective, but could fly around his room like a bird. But perhaps the most disturbing on the list was St. Rose of Lima (she might have since been purged) who was clearly (at least by modern standards) mentally ill and the same type of teenaged girl who would nowadays be labelled a "cutter".

BillyGoatGruff said:
But perhaps the most disturbing on the list was St. Rose of Lima (she might have since been purged) who was clearly (at least by modern standards) mentally ill and the same type of teenaged girl who would nowadays be labelled a "cutter".
St. Rose of Lima actually is the patroness of the Americas. Many miracles occured following her death attributed to her prayers in heaven, and she was considered a hero by the locals. Calling her mortifications "cutting" is oversimplifying it, in my opinion. Her intent was far different.

I don't know of these other saints of which you speak. :blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back