The Christmas Possum!

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Christmas Tree Possum Surprises Pa. Teen

Pa. Teen Surprised After Angel Pops Off Christmas Tree and Possum Appears

The Associated Press

ENGLEWOOD, Pa. - Mary Kathleen O'Connor, 16, doing some studying for school about 6 a.m. Tuesday, said she was the first to be startled by an apparent Christmas tree stowaway. "I'm looking at the tree and the angel just pops off," she said. "And a second later, this head just popped up. The eyes were, like, glowing. I was thinking, 'Oh my God!' And I screamed."

Other family members came running. "We looked at it and I thought it might have been a fake," said her father, Michael O'Connor, a Frackville attorney. "But then it moved its head. And I thought 'Holy Jeez. We're in trouble.'"

O'Connor called police, and William E. O'Donnell, a state Game Commission deputy wildlife conservation officer, removed an 18-inch-long opossum from the 8-foot Douglas fir the family had bought, bundled, from a dealer in Seltzer.

O'Donnell caged the animal and released it in woods about five miles away. The tree, meanwhile, was still in the front yard where Patricia had hurled it. "The lights are still on it," Michael O'Connor said. "So is the stand."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/print?id=1434367

I think, perhaps, I might have soiled my drawers if this happened to me.

Possums are not pretty!! Being surprised by one is not pleasant. We have one that waddles onto the front porch occasionally to eat with the cats and we call him Paco. He's one of the family now, but the first time we saw him, it was not a pleasant experience.

Gosh, I bet this guy was glad to get out of that darn tree. How did they decorate it without seeing him?

Awwwwww I think they are adorable! Like little alligators wearing fur coats!

Did you ever see a mom with all of her babies hanging on her back? Adorable!

I had a mouse jump out of my tree on Xmas morning, 10 years ago, which was bad enough. I have a running battle with a possum that gets into my garbage at night. It has a thing for bean cans, apparently, and will tear open the bags and fish them out in particular. It never seems surprised or scared when I walk up on it and yell at it. I guess it knows humans don't consider them food. It also eats the neighbor's cat food.

LButler said:
Possums are not pretty!! Being surprised by one is not pleasant. We have one that waddles onto the front porch occasionally to eat with the cats and we call him Paco. He's one of the family now, but the first time we saw him, it was not a pleasant experience.

Gosh, I bet this guy was glad to get out of that darn tree. How did they decorate it without seeing him?

I've seen a few on my porch as well and they are spooky looking... We use to have this cat that would come around, and we left food out for it and I think the possum knew, therefore helped himself to the food as well.. hehe... freaky looking I have to say.. poor possum, he can't help the way he looks..:(

Linda7NJ said:
Awwwwww I think they are adorable! Like little alligators wearing fur coats!

Did you ever see a mom with all of her babies hanging on her back? Adorable!
I think so too! LOL. We see lots of them down here in our neck of the woods! :p

BillyGoatGruff said:
I had a mouse jump out of my tree on Xmas morning, 10 years ago, which was bad enough. I have a running battle with a possum that gets into my garbage at night. It has a thing for bean cans, apparently, and will tear open the bags and fish them out in particular. It never seems surprised or scared when I walk up on it and yell at it. I guess it knows humans don't consider them food. It also eats the neighbor's cat food.
I think you should leave the sweetie a can or two of beans for Christmas. :angel: They do LOVE cat food. I have them come after it when I leave a bowl for the stray cats in the woods. :crazy:

I recall reading somewhere that possums are some of the oldest mammals on earth, having been here longer than humans. They must be doing something right. lol

How the heck did they manage to decorate a tree and not notice that possum in it?

Possums are nasty things. Ewwwwe.

They're mean too - sharp teeth, sharp claws. But a funny story!

I think they're cute but they are SUPER mean when messed with! That whole playing dead thing is a ruse, lol. Whenever I or my dog has startling one that was on the porch eating stray cat food, it not only growled but bared it's mouth FULL of fangs, looking, as was said, like an alligator with fur, lol.

And this is regular news, if anyone wondered, cuz I felt people should check their trees, lol! :crazy:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie
Back