864 users online (106 members and 758 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Loved Ones with Opposing Views

This aspect of the political divide is interesting to me. I don't have a lot of family, but the family I do have are conservative Republicans for the most part. I'm a Democrat but don't consider myself to be a leftie or liberal Democrat. Economically I'm more of a Republican. I have voted for Republican and Democrat presidents, senators, etc. etc. I did not vote for Trump.

I was just wondering how others deal with people you care about, especially given the strong emotions on either side. I feel like the only way our country is going to heal is if we are able to have rational discussions about our differences. It seems like a lot of people on both sides are becoming less and less tolerant of differing viewpoints. Do you ever have discussions about politics with your family and/or friends who are of an opposite slant from you? Without your blood pressure going through the roof? Ha. I have a hard time myself but I am trying.

What do you think?

Central Oregon in the foothills of the Cascade mountains.
    My father is deeply conservative, I am more Democrat, but do vote Republican.

The only thing my Dad and I agree on (at least mostly) is the problems facing the Country. We cannot agree on the solutions and we don't even try anymore.

We each take delight in pointing out how the other party goes wrong and the lies they tell. It does help to shape our points of view. Especially when I can point out the various conflicts of interest of the POTUS, the various times he's said things that simply aren't true and how the conduct of the WH isn't doing much to squelch the rumors.

Mostly though, we don't much talk politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine2U View Post
    This aspect of the political divide is interesting to me. I don't have a lot of family, but the family I do have are conservative Republicans for the most part. I'm a Democrat but don't consider myself to be a leftie or liberal Democrat. Economically I'm more of a Republican. I have voted for Republican and Democrat presidents, senators, etc. etc. I did not vote for Trump.

I was just wondering how others deal with people you care about, especially given the strong emotions on either side. I feel like the only way our country is going to heal is if we are able to have rational discussions about our differences. It seems like a lot of people on both sides are becoming less and less tolerant of differing viewpoints. Do you ever have discussions about politics with your family and/or friends who are of an opposite slant from you? Without your blood pressure going through the roof? Ha. I have a hard time myself but I am trying.

What do you think?
    I don't have much to contribute but I think this topic is very important. In some ways I think it should come down to the golden rule, if we want to maintain a good relationship with those we love. Respect and acceptance of different opinions doesn't have to mean giving in or giving up, we don't have to win especially if the cost of winning is losing the love of someone we cherish JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine2U View Post

What do you think?
    Hi Maxine--Actually I'm glad the Politivent threads were started because it helps me to vent online and not argue with (especially) family members who have different viewpoints. I am trying to get my mother to watch news other than Fox so she won't be so surprised when Trump resigns. (I hope) I just happened to come back to Websleuths just over six weeks ago when the Russia story started heating up and it's great to find others who are so tuned in, so informative, funny, etc. I'm an independent who probably would have voted for Kasich, but voted for Clinton. I despise Don the Con--He must go!

hmmm.

I am liberal democrat but I have a few middle of the road opinions (mainly criminal justice ones) my mom and sisters and pretty much all my friends are the same. I think one of my sisters is the libbiest libbie on earth. lol.

my late father was a republican and he was somewhat racist as well, but I didn't know this until I was older, strangely. he got senile in old age and we wouldn't discuss politics at all if he tried we shut him down or walked away.

my mom grew up very catholic, im talking so catholic my aunt and uncle have 9 kids. they vote based on roe v wade. I don't get that.... I mean I do have a few pro life friends and that is fine but the dude can be satan himself but if he SAYS he is pro life they will vote for him, its ridick. my mom is one of 6 and 2 are super conservative, one is moderate, and three are democrat.

usually one of the 9 kids throws our family thanksgiving, I didn't go last year because I was pissy about the election and didn't want to hear one single word. luckily my cousins husband doesnt comment my **** w his conservative drivel so I return the favor.

I do have an old hs friend who is a republican and an old work friend, they will rib good naturedly or comment but their comments are respectful discussion and they don't flame my friends, which is fine.

in summary, I deal w my family members who are conservative by not talking politics, lol.

Thank you for starting this timely thread.

When I read opposing views I am able to understand where they are coming from. I believe that our life experiences provide us with unique and differing perspectives. That is why I appreciate listening to everyone's comments - I respect all for doing so.

In my opinion, this political climate has brought on a tremendous amount of fear that most people feel. This drives us to try to find sense of what seems impossible to comprehend.

People are suffering from the fear and uncertainty from our politicians and in my opinion it is so cruel.

It is our differences and our passion to voice our opinions that show our humanity and our deep compassion.
    for there is nothing heavier than compassion. Not even one's own pain weighs so heavy as the pain one feels with someone, for someone, a pain intensified by the imagination and prolonged by a hundred echoes.” ― Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being

I have a few family members who will not question authority and so they believe it when Trump says all of this is a "witchhunt" against him.

Lately they have been struggling to find the "good for the people" in this administration.

I just hug these family members and tell them I love them - even (and especially) when they are wrong.
    for there is nothing heavier than compassion. Not even one's own pain weighs so heavy as the pain one feels with someone, for someone, a pain intensified by the imagination and prolonged by a hundred echoes.” ― Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being

My mother did a lot of volunteer work with the local Democratic Party (actually she did a lot of volunteer work with many clubs and organizations she was a member of: Library Friends, Women's Club, church, etc.) dad was Republican although IIRC there was no straight party ticket, etched in stone, passionate discussions between them about politics. I don't think they ever even told each other who they voted for in elections.

But then they were Depression Era-born maybe things were different for that generation I do know there were certain subject never talked about.
    "Scleroderma is a horrible disease with nothing to recommend it, other than the incredible courage which its victims muster in the face of overwhelming odds and terrible suffering."

- Robin Williams, 2002 interview, USA Today

My family members know how I feel when I tell them that the proposed budget to cut medicaid and food stamps is terrifying to me.

When any segment of the population is denied respect, dignity and access to health care, we all suffer because this goes against our natural instinct of humanity towards others.
    Last edited by zencompass; 06-01-2017 at 01:14 PM.

I agree with this.

my two friends I mentioned above, I understand why they are conservative. one is in law enforcement and the other is a veteran who saw combat. I grew up in the central valley and I understand why farmers tend to be conservative... because while I am all for preserving nature, it makes it difficult for farmers to get water.

[QUOTE=zencompass;13411748]Thank you for starting this timely thread.

When I read opposing views I am able to understand where they are coming from. I believe that our life experiences provide us with unique and differing perspectives. That is why I appreciate listening to everyone's comments

I avoid talking about religion or politics. The King James literalism is actually much harder for me to handle.

It's nice to read everyone's replies, you guys give me hope.

I grew up in the 70's with a single mom who was extremely Liberal. We lived in the South and as she got older, the odd whiff of racism from her grew stronger. And all that has shaped me into a person who doesn't tolerate hypocrisy very well - And there is so much of that, everywhere.

I guess my family is so dysfunctional anyway that this isn't much of a problem for me with them, because we don't really talk much anyway. My mom is dead (she's probably rolling in her urn with this Trump business) and my dad just kind of vanished. I have one sibling who is a Libertarian. And we aren't close anyway.

But I have this one friend. Man, we drive each other bananas. Complete meltdown yesterday over that stupid Kathy Griffin thing.

I'm just glad my husband is even more Liberal than me. I don't know how couples who are "divided" do it.

Why America's Political Crisis Is So Profound

It is a political and social disunion that extends to every city and state. Few Americans have friends on both sides of this continental divide. Gone are the days when some friends voted for Ike, some for Adlai, and nobody considered the others to be traitors or bigots. Today, it’s far more likely that your colleagues at work and your friends at Starbucks share your views, read the same websites, and watch the same cable news. They don’t just agree with you. They think the other side is clueless—and evil. Those voting for the other team are up to something terrible. They can’t possibly be sincere, much less patriotic.

They may be up to something terrible, but they are sincere, and they definitely believe they have the country’s best interests at heart. That’s why the division is so profound and so difficult to bridge.

We saw that during the 2016 campaign. Trump’s partisans, in their “Make America Great Again” hats, didn’t just think Hillary was a political adversary. They thought she ran a criminal enterprise, funded by people who wanted an inside track and would pay her and Bill big money to get it. Her crimes would never be prosecuted because she was being protected by a corrupt federal government.

Today, Democrats are equally genuine in believing that the Trump campaign may have cooperated with the Russians to steal the election, or at least tilt it unfairly. If true, that’s not just criminal. It would be a treasonous attack on the foundations of American democracy. The current crisis is severe because each side is making very serious charges, each has some suggestive (but not conclusive) evidence, and each is utterly sincere—the rarest of political sentiments.
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...nd_134037.html

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    My youngest brother was definitely in the anti-Hillary/lock-her-up camp and made it known during family gatherings since the campaign began. DH and I always said that neither candidate seemed fit to be our next President, and if we weren't absentee voters, I doubt either of us would have voted.

My brother stopped by unexpectedly yesterday - he was hoping DH who was at the gym could play golf this weekend. I had CNN on, and without any prompting, brother said, "Our country is really f@#$ed up" Understood.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast