1310 users online (185 members and 1125 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

The Wall is being built on the U.S. southern border

Byron York: While other controversies rage, work on border wall moves forward

..."administration officials are quietly moving ahead on one of the president's top campaign promises: the construction of a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border. Although it hasn't received much attention relative to the president's many problems, extensive planning for the wall is under way, officials are evaluating specific proposals, sites are being studied, and yes, there is money available to get going.

The work is being done under President Trump's executive order of Jan. 25, which declared the administration's policy to "secure the southern border of the United States through the immediate construction of a physical wall …" The order went on to set a high standard of effectiveness: "the prevention of all unlawful entries into the United States" along the border. Finally, the order cited an existing law, the Secure Fence Act, which in 2006 called for the construction of "at least two layers of reinforced fencing" and "additional physical barriers" on up to 700 miles of the 1,954-mile border.

<modsnip>

There are some important points to remember before going any further. First, there is no intention to build a wall to stretch the entire border, from San Diego, Calif., to Brownsville, Texas. In his campaign, the president made clear that the wall need not cover every mile of the border. Certainly, no expert who supports more barriers at the border believes it should, either.

And the wall does not always mean a wall. The Jan. 25 executive order defined "wall" as "a contiguous, physical wall or other similarly secure, contiguous and impassable physical barrier." Planners say that in practice, that will certainly mean extensive areas with an actual wall. But other areas might have the type of fencing outlined in the Secure Fence Act, or some other barrier yet to be designed.

And that leads to a third point: The border barrier will not look the same at all points along the border. The terrain of the border is different — some parts are so imposing they don't need a barrier at all — and officials plan to design walls and barriers that fit each area, rather than one long, unchanging structure.

<modsnip>

After the recent spending bill passed, some opponents of the wall declared the project dead. (Sample headline: Vanity Fair's "How Trump's Wall Failure Will Forever Doom His Presidency.") But any victory dance right now is premature. Yes, it's certainly possible the wall won't be built. But it's also possible it will be built, or that significant parts of it will be built. The work is already under way.
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/by...rticle/2624408

This is the proper use of Executive Orders that we didn't see under the Obama's use of EO by fiat, or the attempt to rule by a "command" not backed by law, or the consititution.

Trump's orders almost without fail direct agencies to FOLLOW and USE EXISTING LAWS.

Trump has also said many times that part of the funding for the wall will come from taxes/ fees that will be levied on the billions of dollars sent back to Mexico and Central America from the U.S. (from small dollar transactions mostly under $200)-- and the laws already exist to impose those taxes/ fees without any further congressional action. This is part of why Mexico opposes the wall-- because the eventuality of those fees being imposed will profoundly affect Mexico's economy. I think we will see those fees imposed by EO within the next year.

Byron York: The law already allows Donald Trump to build the wall

"The Secure Fence Act and the later amendment give full leeway to the president to determine what kind of fencing is appropriate, as long as it enhances security," noted Jessica Vaughan of the Center for Immigration Studies, which favors lower levels of immigration. "Clearly, action to upgrade the existing fencing and add additional barriers is authorized. If the president and his border security team want a wall instead of a fence, or an electric fence instead of a double chain link, or a fence of flowers instead of steel, they can do it."

The "later amendment" to which Vaughan referred was Congress' decision the next year, 2007, to partially back away from what it had done. Lawmakers passed an amendment sponsored by Texas Republican Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison which said "nothing in this paragraph shall require the Secretary of Homeland Security to install fencing, physical barriers, roads, lighting, cameras and sensors in a particular location along an international border of the United States, if the secretary determines that the use or placement of such resources is not the most appropriate means to achieve and maintain operational control over the international border at such location." Hutchison's amendment gave Homeland Security the discretion to do less, but, as with the original law, did nothing to stop the department from doing more.
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/by...rticle/2609082
    Last edited by bessie; 06-02-2017 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Copyright rule

This wall is so silly and ridiculous to me.

And remember when Trump promised Mexico was going to pay for it? Ugh.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DatelineFan View Post
    Pepperidge Farm remembers.
    Proverbs 19:17

Buckskin Girl - Facebook page - Websleuths thread
    Arroyo Grande Jane Doe - Facebook page - Websleuths thread

Quote Originally Posted by K_Z View Post
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/by...rticle/2624408

Trump has also said many times that part of the funding for the wall will come from taxes/ fees that will be levied on the billions of dollars sent back to Mexico and Central America from the U.S. (from small dollar transactions mostly under $200)-- and the laws already exist to impose those taxes/ fees without any further congressional action. This is part of why Mexico opposes the wall-- because the eventuality of those fees being imposed will profoundly affect Mexico's economy. I think we will see those fees imposed by EO within the next year.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/by...rticle/2609082
    Don the Con has said a lot of things....a confirmed fraud. I've got some degrees from Trump U to sell you!

Quote Originally Posted by DatelineFan View Post
    This wall is so silly and ridiculous to me.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
    I predict it will be finished on the same day Hillary Clinton goes to prison.

Quote Originally Posted by simba16 View Post
    Don the Con has said a lot of things....a confirmed fraud. I've got some degrees from Trump U to sell you!
    Out of paris climate accord, working on health care bill, created jobs, Justice Gorsuch. He's on track.
    It's my opinion if no link provided.

Misspellings due to fat fingers

Words matter.

You don't know what you don't know.

Go ahead and build a bubble. We are going to need it what with air that will be unbreathable and water , undrinkable. But trumpita will be fine, so all is well. Screw you, regular people who need water and air. How dare you.

Genuine question (I'm British and never paid as much attention to US politics as these past few months, so forgive my naivety on the subject!)

Why do Trump & co think you need a wall? Are Mexicans that much of a problem, and if so, why? Is it jobs, benefits, healthcare, terrorism, what?

Quote Originally Posted by CoverMeCagney View Post
    Genuine question (I'm British and never paid as much attention to US politics as these past few months, so forgive my naivety on the subject!)

Why do Trump & co think you need a wall? Are Mexicans that much of a problem, and if so, why? Is it jobs, benefits, healthcare, terrorism, what?
    Undocumented aliens have taxes taken out of their checks and they are paying into the system. They will never see a dime of social security or medicare in the future. They are paying in, but will never get anything out. Why are people so mad? Pay IN, but never get anything out. Do the math.

They cannot get food stamps or benefits. They dont' have a driver's license in most cases.

They are here. Let them drive and get insurance. sheesh. They are part of the economy and if they all left tomorrow we would feel it. (imo)

Quote Originally Posted by frisson View Post
    Undocumented aliens have taxes taken out of their checks and they are paying into the system. They will never see a dime of social security or medicare in the future. They are paying in, but will never get anything out. Why are people so mad? Pay IN, but never get anything out. Do the math.

They cannot get food stamps or benefits. They dont' have a driver's license in most cases.

They are here. Let them drive and get insurance. sheesh. They are part of the economy and if they all left tomorrow we would feel it. (imo)
    So if it's not money related, what is it?? It's not like you don't have the space and I've never heard of a Mexican terrorism issue, so I don't get it!! Why the hate?

So if it's not money related, what is it?? It's not like you don't have the space and I've never heard of a Mexican terrorism issue, so I don't get it!! Why the hate?
    Why not? Hate is for those who hate their own selves. Maybe parents did not give them the love they need so they have to hate on others to make themselves feel good.

Gangs are a big problem IMO. Drugs are another. I have no problem with immigrants coming here legally and it's not fair to them to go through the hoops to be legal while others cross illegally IMO. Numbers of illegals crossing the border are way down but the illegal drugs coming through is still bad. We are having a drug/overdose epidemic in our country.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/02/n...ng-island.html

Mr. Capers said that 10 of the 13 adult gang members were undocumented immigrants, and that three of the gang members who were accused of direct involvement in the killings of Kayla and Nisa in Brentwood, N.Y., on Sept. 13, were undocumented immigrants. He said Mr. Saenz’s older brother, Alexi, 22, who also was charged in the killings, was a legal permanent resident.

Earlier, four gang members were arrested in connection with the killing of José Peña-Hernandez, 18, whose remains were found in the woods near a hospital in October. They are also undocumented immigrants.

The federal charges include racketeering, seven murders, attempted murders, obstruction of justice, arson and conspiracy. Since the killings, the Suffolk County Police Department has arrested more than 125 MS-13 members, officials have said. The arrests on Thursday are the only ones in conjunction with federal authorities.

“We have promised to eradicate MS-13 from our streets, and we remain committed to finishing the job,” Suffolk County Police Commissioner Timothy Sini said.
    Last edited by Tillicum; 06-02-2017 at 03:37 PM.

IRS doesn’t tell 1M taxpayers that illegals stole their Social Security numbers

By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The IRS has discovered more than 1 million Americans whose Social Security numbers were stolen by illegal immigrants, but officials never bothered to tell the taxpayers themselves, the agency’s inspector general said in a withering new report released Tuesday.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...hat-illegal-i/

Quote Originally Posted by Tillicum View Post
    Gangs are a big problem IMO. Drugs are another. I have no problem with immigrants coming here legally and it's not fair to them to go through the hoops to be legal while others cross illegally IMO. Numbers of illegals crossing the border are way down but the illegal drugs coming through is still bad. We are having a drug/overdose epidemic in our country.
    Ah ok, hadn't thought of the drugs scenario. How high is the wall going to be, cos, y'know, they could just throw drugs over / use drones etc

FWIW I think a 3000 mile wall is ridiculous. Ask Hadrian.

In the current immigration debate much is said about the increasing difficulties that undocumented immigrants face due to the recent security measures taken in the Mexico-U.S border, but little attention is devoted to the role that the empowerment of Mexican drug cartels has played in reshaping the human smuggling dynamics in the last years. Until 2009, at least 47 independent cartels dedicated to human smuggling and human trafficking operated in Mexico. However, with the emergence of Los Zetas as an independent cartel in 2010 and the empowerment of the Cartel Del Golfo (CDG) in the last five years, the smaller cartels have been absorbed or destroyed, producing a dramatic change in the dynamics of human trafficking and human smuggling in the country.

Mexican drug cartels have identified a lucrative niche of opportunity in the geostrategic position of Mexico as “bridge country” for migration flows towards the U.S., and are now actively exploiting it. These organizations have vigorously seized the human smuggling activities in the southern and northern borders of Mexico, and have transformed them into diverse forms of trafficking and exploitation. Every year thousands of Central Americans fall prey to drug cartels while crossing the southern border of Mexico. The victims are frequently extorted, assaulted, and trafficked for forced labor and sexual exploitation within the country and in the United States. Some of the immigrants are forced to beg for money on the streets, while others are found in this position after being extorted and deprived from their resources to cross the border. In this dramatic scenario, the increase in trafficking of immigrant children who are captured by the cartels for sexual exploitation, forced labor or used as child soldiers in the drug wars in the country becomes particularly worrisome.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ana-da...b_7588408.html

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast