1023 users online (215 members and 808 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2017.06.02 - Discord amongst Republicans

Open warfare breaks out among conservatives: March in lockstep behind Trump, or show some infinitesimal spine?

Right-wing "thought leaders" face a quandary: Follow "our general" with no questions, or admit he's a disaster?

What is more interesting is that the Republican Party, which has everything — Congress, the courts, the White House and a large majority of statehouses all over the country — seems to be coming apart at the seams.

This is, to say the least, unusual. But then, it’s also not usual that winning political parties elect intellectually inadequate, inexperienced, incompetent, narcissistic celebrities to lead them. It is causing more than a little distress at a time when the party should be in position to enact a sweeping agenda.
    It remains to be seen whether or not the leadership under House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell can corral their caucus and get some major legislation onto Donald Trump’s desk.

We’ll know they’re in serious trouble if they fail to pass their Holy Grail, the monstrous tax cuts for the wealthy. One suspects they will find a way to get that one done, if almost nothing else.
    From The New York Times’ Ross Douthat:
    Now we’re just being asked to pretend that Trump is a good president when he’s obviously an incompetent one. No thanks … it just can’t be the Flight 93 election every minute of every day of every year of his presidential term.
    It turns out these people disdain conservative pointy-headed intellectuals just as much as liberal pointy-headed intellectuals. It took the election of a man totally outside the conservative movement for the elite thought leaders to see that.

I'm hoping for spine.

"Skirmish" between two conservatives, Daily Beast's Matt Lewis and Center for Law and American Justice's Jay Sekulow:

Was just reading today that some political analysts think we're at the beginning of a new realignment of the parties. This happens from time to time. I definitely can see the schisms widening between Trump die-hards, "establishment" Republicans, evangelicals. and the Freedom Caucus-types. Same goes for the Sanders wing of the Democratic party, the identitarians, and the more corporate Democrats.

But who ends up realigning with whom? What new defining coalitions emerge? That's the million dollar question, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Eyes View Post
    Was just reading today that some political analysts think we're at the beginning of a new realignment of the parties. This happens from time to time. I definitely can see the schisms widening between Trump die-hards, "establishment" Republicans, evangelicals. and the Freedom Caucus-types. Same goes for the Sanders wing of the Democratic party, the identitarians, and the more corporate Democrats.

But who ends up realigning with whom? What new defining coalitions emerge? That's the million dollar question, IMO.
    I can't see how it could be any worse than now. Seriously when have we had to hold our breath (or nose) when voting for the president of the United States before this last election?

IMO, this COULD be a really good thing for all of us. Guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tillicum View Post
    I can't see how it could be any worse than now. Seriously when have we had to hold our breath (or nose) when voting for the president of the United States before this last election?
    I wasn't thrilled about the choices in 2004. Didn't have to hold my nose though - just shook my head thinking "This is the best we've got?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tillicum View Post
    I always hoped that if I ever cast my vote for a third party candidate it would be because some truly awesome new candidate and/or party came about. Instead, the other two candidates seemed so bad, I had no choice. I wasn't in love with my third party candidate, he was just the least bad option

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    Open warfare breaks out among conservatives: March in lockstep behind Trump, or show some infinitesimal spine?

Right-wing "thought leaders" face a quandary: Follow "our general" with no questions, or admit he's a disaster?

From The New York Times’ Ross Douthat:

Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

Quote Originally Posted by Tulessa View Post
    Very funny considering the source is a left wing tabloid style rag.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBelle_LA View Post
    Very funny considering the source is a left wing tabloid style rag.
    So, you find it difficult to believe that some Repubs are struggling to get on board with the Donald? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Tulessa View Post
    Hilarious. Sorry-not-sorry your party is coming apart at the seams.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy1 View Post
    So, you find it difficult to believe that some Repubs are struggling to get on board with the Donald? Really?
    The proof is everywhere, not just in "left wing tabloid style rags."

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy1 View Post
    IMO, this COULD be a really good thing for all of us. Guess we'll see.
    Maybe. I think it started with the Tea Party, even though they didn't get very far. It showed what could be done - that sub-groups can splinter away and even be somewhat successful.

It could be a good thing. I think both parties need to distance themselves from religious groups of any kind.

This has been my hope and prediction since Trump and Hillary won the nominations. There has been so much increased divisiveness between parties but equally if not more so within each party. I would hope for a viable third party to come from this realigning. I think that could really strengthen the system in the long term!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast