Identified! FL - Pinellas Co., Wht/HispMale 715UMFL, 30-40, glass eye, Mar'81 - Jack Lachow

PonderingThings

Former member
Reaction score
[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/715umfl.html
715UMFL1.jpg
715UMFL.jpg

Unidentified White Male

* The victim was discovered on March 13, 1981 in St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida
* Estimated Date of Death: 3-7 days
* Cause of Death: Gunshot wounds to the head
* Partially Decomposed Remains

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 30-50 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'11"; 165-185 lbs.

* Distinguishing Characteristics: Short, brown hair; brown eyes. He may have had a moustache. He had a brown glass eye in his left socket; the left side of his face also had been previously injured somehow, perhaps in an accident or a fight.
* Dentals: Available

* Clothing: Dark blue, long-sleeve jogging shirt, dark blue double knit wool pants (brand name St. Michael), black belt with square silver buckle, light color boxer shorts, dark nylon socks, black Florsheim loafers (size 10E), and a Jules Jurgensen self-winding, 17 jewel calendar watch with gold Speidel band.
* Fingerprints: Available
* DNA: Available

Case History
The victim was located in thick mangroves at the end of a dirt road in the area of Fourth Street N and 115th Avenue, in St. Petersburg, Florida on March 13, 1981. His knee was protruding from the dirt. Investigators figured this man had been buried for three to seven days.

This was the second body found over a three-week period in the winter of 1981. Their bodies were discovered by fishermen, about 3 miles apart. One was buried in a shallow grave, the other tossed in Tampa Bay with a barbell tied to his feet. Both men died of gunshot wounds to the head or neck. Neither body held many clues. No identification cards were found. Both men may have been killed somewhere else, then dumped here. Perhaps by the same person. The first man was identified as a Tampa carnival worker in 2003.

Detectives consulted optometry organizations. Over the years, they found more than two dozen missing persons reports involving people with glass eyes. None were their guy. They ran fingerprints through databases, but nothing matched. In 1983, investigators exhumed the body and used the skull to mold clay into a likeness of the dead man's face. Detectives plan to enter the man's DNA into a national missing person's database.

Just a though regarding the previous injury. Are military records available to search? With his age range, it may have been injury received in Viet Nam.

I believe military records can be searched by L.E., but not by the general public. As evidenced by the other man, who had the wrong Social Security Number engraved on his dentures, the military doesn't always get things right...
wink.gif

His glass eye is obviously and older model, so he would have had some record of upkeep on it. The glass eyes people used to get have to be removed occasionaly for cleaning in an outpatient type of setting or if he was military at the VA.

PonderingThings said:
I believe military records can be searched by L.E., but not by the general public. As evidenced by the other man, who had the wrong Social Security Number engraved on his dentures, the military doesn't always get things right...
wink.gif
Assuming, of course, that the military is at fault.

shadowangel said:
Assuming, of course, that the military is at fault.
In the particular case I was referencing, it would appear that the military did engrave the wrong numbers on the dental plate.... of course its possible that the person gave them the wrong number when they joined but if the Army didn't check it then they are at fault... are they not?

If the plate was made for the military, by a contractor, and not checked for accuracy, wouldn't it be the Army that was at fault for not verifying the information?

Exerpt from article:
"One of the names was a Tampa carnival worker named Steven Clancy. His Social Security number was a few digits off the number on the dental plate. His family confirmed he had gotten a dental plate while he was in the Army."

...of course there is the possibility that he got the dental plate while in the Army, but NOT from the Army.... Did private dentists engrave Social Security numbers on dental plates? Personally I don't think so, but it is possible.

Assuming this was the same plate he received in the military. Or, if it is the same plate, that the engraving occured at the time it was issued.

Shadowangel with your background in the Army, and as Security Director for a hospital I'm sure you know a lot of which you speak.

Only question I have is - if not the army... who would engrave (an incorrect) social security number on the plate?

Actually though I don't think this point is worth argueing over so
smlytruce.gif

PonderingThings said:
Did private dentists engrave Social Security numbers on dental plates? Personally I don't think so, but it is possible.
LOL, I just checked my dentures. There is an identifying number in the lower plate, but not the upper. And it is not my social. Private dentist. I don't know when they started doing that, but I know it was something formally adopted by the Dental association, and that the ID number is kept there.

I know about the prothetic registration numbers. They are on almost everything, from surgically implanted devices, to dental work.

To have your own social security number on one though is a different story....

PonderingThings said:
Shadowangel with your background in the Army, and as Security Director for a hospital I'm sure you know a lot of which you speak.

Only question I have is - if not the army... who would engrave (an incorrect) social security number on the plate?

Actually though I don't think this point is worth argueing over so
smlytruce.gif
Who's arguing? :blowkiss: I'm just pointing out that nothing can be assumed...There may be a dentist out there who uses some kind of tracking system of his own, and that info might be of use someday. If one just assumes that it was a misprint by the Army, its possible to miss other scenarios.

here is th Namus profile for this UID with 17 rule-outs:

https://identifyus.org/cases/1506

William Arnold 1942 Nebraska
Lyndal Ashby 1938 Kentucky
Gabriel Caporino 1933 Louisiana
Rogelio Cerda 1959 Texas
Kyle Clinkscales 1953 Georgia
Bobby Davidson 1933 Arizona
Joseph Halpern 1910 Colorado
Franklin Harder 1953 Idaho
Michael Harp 1953 New Mexico
Raymond Harris 1951 Nebraska
Dennis Mann 1959 Mississippi
Joseph Martin Jr 1944 New York
James Norris 1949 Florida
raymond schwarz 1949 Illinois
DAVID THOMSON 1947 Minnesota
David Waggoner 1947 Texas

While doing my usual Namus checkup looking for anything new that could be a match for another case, I came across Billy Marshall who was recently added. No photo to go on or circumstances of his 1974 disappearance, however from Namus- "Billy had a fake eye. His family is resonably sure it was his left eye."

The physical description matches up fairly well, even though the time line doesn't account for where he may have gone or why.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/12952/65/

The glass eye and height fit. If he was 36 in 1974, he would have been about 43 in 1981. A little over the upper limit, but not too far over.

The DoeNet description indicates that he was wearing pants sold only in England and the Bahamas. That doesn't necessarily mean that he was from England or the Bahamas. He could have bought them while visiting the Bahamas, which are very close to Florida.

I wish there was a photo. There isn't much info on Billy, but I would definitely think it's worth a look.

While doing my usual Namus checkup looking for anything new that could be a match for another case, I came across Billy Marshall who was recently added. No photo to go on or circumstances of his 1974 disappearance, however from Namus- "Billy had a fake eye. His family is resonably sure it was his left eye."

The physical description matches up fairly well, even though the time line doesn't account for where he may have gone or why.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/12952/65/

nice find Masnitram. only problem I see is that the UID had a brown eye whereas Billy had a blue eye.

nice find Masnitram. only problem I see is that the UID had a brown eye whereas Billy had a blue eye.

:banghead: Yeah, that is pretty important. Well at least there is another possible match to any current/future glass eye UID's.

How does your family not know which one of your eyes is fake?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefdartz
Back